PDA

View Full Version : Striper/Catfish Combo Recommendation Please

Adrian
06-15-2014, 12:08 AM
I'm looking for a Rig that can handle 50-60 pound Fish with no problem. I'm catching very large Stripers & Catfish and I'm severely under prepared! Currently I'm using 50lb braid. I would like some sort of round reel that can handle Big Line and Big Fish.

Also don't want to break the bank because I recently bought a Lowrance Touch and they don't give those away )

Thanks,
Adrian

tkwalker
06-15-2014, 12:48 AM
This is what I would recommend while on a budget ... This what I did ... Always think Salt water and big game ... Use the entry level Saltwater reels ... Penn and Okuma and others ... also think 50 pound plus saltwater line ... When I was able to afford it was Pline for me but the Cabela's and bass pro labels will work ... to start ... .. Remember these are saltwater fish ... always think Saltwater gear !! .. Terminal tackle and all ... <'TK>< :)

PS ... Don't buy casting gear ... You want conventional flatline reels ... :)

Adrian
06-15-2014, 02:27 AM
Thanks tkwalker. Any suggestions on Rod Length or Action? One other thing, with Pline 60lb line, are you using a leader since it's not Braid?

SAMBOLIE
06-15-2014, 06:46 AM
I'm looking for a Rig that can handle 50-60 pound Fish with no problem. I'm catching very large Stripers & Catfish and I'm severely under prepared! Currently I'm using 50lb braid. I would like some sort of round reel that can handle Big Line and Big Fish.

Also don't want to break the bank because I recently bought a Lowrance Touch and they don't give those away )

Thanks,
Adrian

tk has an excellent recommendation.
I wish I had your problem. I'll bet many others do also.:):)

MNfisher
06-15-2014, 07:05 AM
I have several high grade heavy reels spooled with 80 lb. bring me with, I will catch them for you, you can even use one of my rods too!

Mike

tkwalker
06-15-2014, 12:44 PM
Thanks tkwalker. Any suggestions on Rod Length or Action? One other thing, with Pline 60lb line, are you using a leader since it's not Braid?

Yes, make your leaders ... at first I use Berkley Big Game 50# for my main line and made my leader from 40#...

Now remember My rods, line, terminal tackle was all designed for one thing ... River fishing with boards ... So I don't know how you will be fishing ... Cats will be bottom ...Are you going to fish bottom for the Rock Fish ... I did have a couple of Casting rigs with syncro 7 ABU for early morning top water action in the tributaries ...

I finally could afford to have custom rods made ... The Planer Rods were 8.5 feet heavy action but with a soft tip to absorb wave shock of the board but about 3 feet back it tightend up like a broom handle ... All my rods had the "Rogers Wrap" That is that the eye nearest the reel was on top of the rod but then the eyes rotated to the bottom of the rod like a spinning rod ... What this does is remove all of the rod torque, no twisting ...Like a spinning rod ... I sold all of my RW rods except one casting rig ... :o <'TK>< :):)

Adrian
06-15-2014, 01:25 PM
I mainly slow troll, finding fish on the Sonar and dropping to the bottom usually in 50' of water with live shad or skipjack. I use the iPilot record a track to sweep the area repeatedly till I stop getting bit and move on. Ruined 2 Spinners last week trying to pull in the big ones.

tkwalker
06-15-2014, 10:55 PM
I mainly slow troll, finding fish on the Sonar and dropping to the bottom usually in 50' of water with live shad or skipjack. I use the iPilot record a track to sweep the area repeatedly till I stop getting bit and move on. Ruined 2 Spinners last week trying to pull in the big ones.

Like previously stated ... You need a winch !! ... I Hired a guide for tarpon in Tampa ... He used spinning gear ... Most miserable trip and expensive trip I had been on ... Caught a 140 # Tarpon ... after an hour with spinning gear ... Bummer !! <'TK>< :mad:

Adrian
06-16-2014, 02:31 AM
Thanks for you help. A Father's Day at Basspro & $200 + later, I ending up getting a Okuma coupled with a Shimano Trolling 7' Rod. We'll see ) I'm planning on hunting tomorrow...

MNfisher
06-16-2014, 09:19 AM
Like previously stated ... You need a winch !! ... I Hired a guide for tarpon in Tampa ... He used spinning gear ... Most miserable trip and expensive trip I had been on ... Caught a 140 # Tarpon ... after an hour with spinning gear ... Bummer !! <'TK>< :mad:

Almost all tarpon guides and anglers use spinning tackle. For the long extremely fast runs they make.

Mike

Reel Tune
06-16-2014, 10:37 AM
Sarah uses the Okuma reels for saltwater use she uses the SLR 15CS spooled with 30lb Ande, and using a 50lb fluro leader. She really likes that setup. She also uses a Shimano Baitrunner 8000 series.

tkwalker
06-16-2014, 08:45 PM
Almost all tarpon guides and anglers use spinning tackle. For the long extremely fast runs they make.

Mike

The Captain knew I was a guide and we talked extensively about Different methods ....

We were fishing in Tampa about 50 yds. off the beach .... Just beyond the swimmers ... The method is the boat runs parallel with the POD the Capt. is in the Tuna Tower where he can see them, the first mate casts a Spinning rig with live bait in front of the pod ... The lead fish usually picks it up ...

In this particular case the Hook went in to the mouth and out of the gill and hooked his eye socket (They have vented membrane sockets )... We were loosing ground and the Capt. Had to chase the Fish .... The battle lasted about an hour (The Capt. admitted do to the fact he has to use spinning gear for the casting element) If it wasn't for that he would use level winds like the tuna fisherman .. Now those make the basic runs ... :eek: .. (Winches) ..

What made it so uncomfortable is that this was a new boat ... It had not been completely fitted yet ... No Fighting chairs etc ... ... Your shins up against the Gunnel .. And a strap on rod holder and 100 deg. weather and high Humidity ... and 5 gallons of sea water thrown on you to keep you cool ... No it was not a pleasant experience ... <'TK>< :p

agelesssone
06-16-2014, 09:32 PM
WAH WAH WAH! Don't be such a pussy, TK! Man up Dude!

(HA! My turn!!)

tkwalker
06-16-2014, 11:39 PM
WAH WAH WAH! Don't be such a pussy, TK! Man up Dude!

(HA! My turn!!)

LOVED !! to let you catch this fish while I set back and had a little scotch toddy under the shade of the TEE TOP ... Heck I was on vacation ...but at $650 for miserable trip .... None of my charters ever had to go through this at half the price !! <'TK>< :p

Adrian
06-21-2014, 02:52 PM
* Just a quick update * The Okuma/Shimano combo is a winner. It brings the big boys in with little to no effort. The 50 pounders don't stand a chance when I finally hook into one. Thanks for the suggestions!

Reel Tune
06-24-2014, 12:41 AM
Which Okuma, and Shimano Rod did you get?