PDA

View Full Version : Narrows of the Harpeth report?

Fishbus
06-03-2014, 11:38 AM
Planning a trip Saturday.

Anybody been out to see water levels, conditions, etc...?

Thanks,

Billy

Adough
06-03-2014, 12:14 PM
We were out there Saturday. Low and slow, felt like a bath tub. Red eye and gar were both aggressive though! Without rain it will be below 2ft by Saturday.

Fishbus
06-03-2014, 03:35 PM
How was the takeout?

MNFisher reports that it was washed out a few weeks ago...

MNfisher
06-03-2014, 06:18 PM
MNFisher reports that it was washed out a few weeks ago...

Nope, not me...never been to the Harpeth...haha

Mike

ThrillSeeker
06-04-2014, 06:31 AM
Be careful....I hear there are a lot of cottonmouths in the Harpeth.

:p

Fishbus
06-04-2014, 07:02 AM
I thought you were TNMikeYak on Geoff's site...

My bad!

Billy

Nope, not me...never been to the Harpeth...haha

Mike

GO-OKFISHIN
06-04-2014, 07:41 AM
It's actually perfect. May not stay that way with these storms coming in though.

MNfisher
06-04-2014, 09:09 AM
I thought you were TNMikeYak on Geoff's site...

My bad!

Billy

No worries!

Mike

Adough
06-04-2014, 09:10 AM
The takeout is a bit washed out. It will only allow one vehicle at a time atm. The Ranger said that they would fix it asap but, water levels have to allow. And we have seen lots of cottonmouths this year.

Farley
06-04-2014, 02:50 PM
Someone please take some pictures of the cottonmouths. I've spent a lot of time on all of the Harpeth Rivers in the area and have never seen one.

jad2t
06-04-2014, 03:19 PM
Someone please take some pictures of the cottonmouths. I've spent a lot of time on all of the Harpeth Rivers in the area and have never seen one.

I'm afraid to get close enough for a pic but they're everywhere!

Adough
06-05-2014, 10:22 AM
Flow shouldn't be a problem for the next couple of days! Gauges reporting over an inch of rain, paired with an increase of 2ft in depth!

MNfisher
06-05-2014, 10:57 AM
I'm afraid to get close enough for a pic but they're everywhere!

Haven't seen one yet in my 3 years here.

Mike

jaysouth
06-05-2014, 09:16 PM
Haven't seen one yet in my 3 years here.

Mike

This is kind of an inside joke. If you find a honey hole, do not every tell anyone. If someone figures it out, be sure and tell them that you almost got bitten three times by cotton mouths and stepped on a rattle snake while launching. This kinds of gets their attention because a bite from a cottonmouth in very painful and expensive. Figure a week in the hospital, several surgeries and two or three doses of anti-venom at $10-12,000 a pop.

As MNfisher, I have never seen one in the Harpeth. After spending the summers of my youth working in rice fields, I am not only an authority on what they look like, but could smell one 6-10 feet away.

Last summer, I had a TWRA biologist tell me that he had never seen one East of Dixon and except for this old guy that lies outragously, he had never heard of one east of Dixon. He rolled his eye at me, but I kept a studly and steely face.

GO-OKFISHIN
06-06-2014, 11:24 AM
There is a creek in the Harpeth watershed that has them.

http://www.tennsnakes.org/Cottonmouth%20Brochure.pdf. Look at the range map.

Farley
06-06-2014, 12:36 PM
There is a creek in the Harpeth watershed that has them.

http://www.tennsnakes.org/Cottonmouth%20Brochure.pdf. Look at the range map.

There is a big difference in it being on the far edge of the range and saying it is covered up with them. It is covered up with banded water snakes and that is exactly what people are calling cottonmouths.

GO-OKFISHIN
06-06-2014, 03:16 PM
There is a big difference in it being on the far edge of the range and saying it is covered up with them. It is covered up with banded water snakes and that is exactly what people are calling cottonmouths.

Jaysouth said that as a way to keep people out of his fishing hole. I do know of a creek in the Harpeth watershed that has at least 1. Never seen one on the Harpeth.

Adough
06-06-2014, 04:59 PM
I was just speaking with one of the rangers for the Narrows, she's been there for years. She, said for a fact, that she knows where several nests are. Given that this is a public forum I won't repeat their locations but, they're much closer to the access points than many people would be comfortable with. We also used to access the Harpeth via a creek,closer to Bellevue, none of us will ever hike that again without snake guards on. I'd be reluctant to say that there aren't thousands of cottonmouths on the river. They are generally not aggressive.