PDA

View Full Version : This fish/snake story came full circle

jaysouth
06-01-2014, 09:16 AM
Two years ago, I walked at least a mile through brush/woods to get to where Flat creek empties into the Harpeth in Bellvue. The fishing was OK but tough because of rocks and logs in the river. I went back with a plan and caught a bunch of Large and Smallmouths. One of the brownies was over 3 pounds. Not bad for a duffer like me in small water. After a couple of more trips, I found an easier part of the river to fish with better results.

Not being the bashful type, I told others of my success and exact directions for getting to the creek mouth. But I warned them, Yes, there are lots of fish that are easy to catch, but there are more cottonmouths that a ricefield in Arkansas. "Every time I go down there, I have to run off a bunch of them on the shore and in the water". "Last time I was down there, a cottonmouth took a 2 pound fish off my line and chased me back to Home Depot. As stories go, good stories that is, the fish got bigger and the snakes got more numerous and dangerous as the story was retold.

Last Week, I was in Dicks and got into a conversation with a teenager buying fishing tackle. Of course, he asked me where I liked to fish. When I told him, the Harpeth in Bellvue, he got excited and said "no way man, there are too many cottonmouths in that water for me".

Not only have I never seen a cottonmouth in the Harpeth, as an aside, a TWRA biologist told me he would pay a $100 to anyone who found a cottonmouth East of Dixon.

A good story is judged by it's entertainment value and not it's exact verisimilitude.

tcintn
06-01-2014, 12:27 PM
You have given me a great idea to keep folks out of my favorite holes on the Caney.
Thanks Jay.
What kind of fish was the three pounder again?:p

creekcrappie
06-01-2014, 12:53 PM
Thats hilarious Mr. John!

JeffsLowe
06-01-2014, 05:03 PM
Its good you mentioned copperheads in the middle TN area. I see literally dozens every time I hit JPP, and long nose gar as well- especially from Long Hunter on down to Fate Sanders. They seem to especially be a hazard around submerged brush piles, and if you get hung up or landing a fish its a danger to put your hand anywhere near the water. Its important for us local outdoorsman to do the responsible thing and ensure the general public is aware of these safety hazards so they can avoid these areas and go where its safer.

Like Old Hickory.

MNfisher
06-01-2014, 05:31 PM
Great story'

Mike

jaysouth
06-01-2014, 06:03 PM
You have given me a great idea to keep folks out of my favorite holes on the Caney.
Thanks Jay.
What kind of fish was the three pounder again?:p

Arctic char or grayling, or maybe a drum, I didn't get too good a look while that cotton mouth was chasing me. He was a biggun', at least five feet long, 12-15 inches in diameter and had to weight 25 pounds. You could tell he was mad too, he was spittin' venom ten feet.

SAMBOLIE
06-01-2014, 06:26 PM
You may have read this

https://us-mg204.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=2%5f0%5f0%5f1%5f108639%5fAB93w0MAABhC U4lL%2fgAAADNizz0&pid=2.2&fid=Inbox&inline=1&appid=yahoomail

jaysouth
06-01-2014, 06:44 PM
linkee no workee

SAMBOLIE
06-01-2014, 07:10 PM

try this

nomad60
06-01-2014, 07:31 PM

try this

:)

tkwalker
06-01-2014, 11:07 PM
:)

He would have brought you four frogs if he had not been drinking Rot Gut !! (Here comes the fire storm LOL !!!) and was drinking Scotch .!!! ... Okay Guys ... Just kidding ... Just like politics and religion ... Everyone has their taste buds and views ... LOL !! <'TK><:)

tsuggs
06-02-2014, 09:04 AM
verisimilitude/thats a mouthful!!

jaysouth
06-02-2014, 05:56 PM
He would have brought you four frogs if he had not been drinking Rot Gut !! (Here comes the fire storm LOL !!!) and was drinking Scotch .!!! ... Okay Guys ... Just kidding ... Just like politics and religion ... Everyone has their taste buds and views ... LOL !! <'TK><:)

TK,

It's my experience that folks who drink cheap bourbon are mean drunks.

SAMBOLIE
06-02-2014, 08:27 PM
TK,

It's my experience that folks who drink cheap bourbon are mean drunks.

:):)