PDA

View Full Version : 2 nice rainbows I caught wading

CrappieMan
05-23-2014, 03:46 PM
2 nice rainbows I caught wading in Damascus, Va. The largest was 22" and the other was 21 3/4". Both were caught on night crawler and I've got a question about using 4lb with bait. The other day I had a good one break 4lb when I was using bait (I think the teeth are the culprit). That's probably a huge advantage to tm's which I use a lot but the river was up and had quite a bit of color... My question is would you still use 4lb with bait? I know there are a lot of light line guys on here and I really hate using 6lb but I don't like losing fish either... Any help? I am confident in landing these fish on 2lb with trout magnets but I'm concerned about bait fishing with those teeth...

jad2t
05-23-2014, 04:04 PM
Wow beautiful fish! Those are going to make some tasty meals!!

I'm not quite sure why fishing with bait verses fishing with a lure makes any difference when using 4lb test. Maybe I'm not understanding your question though. Light line is a blast but you run the risk of losing a fish if you're not careful and sometimes even if you're plenty careful you still lose fish. That risk isn't any more or less depending on whether you use live bait or a lure.

CrappieMan
05-23-2014, 04:16 PM
With worm they swallow it deep so the teeth rub on the line vs with the trout magnets I hook them in the lip so the teeth aren't as much of a factor. Atleast that's my theory lol

Alphahawk
05-23-2014, 04:27 PM
With worm they swallow it deep so the teeth rub on the line vs with the trout magnets I hook them in the lip so the teeth aren't as much of a factor. Atleast that's my theory lol

Your theory is correct. The TM is designed where 95% of trout are hooked in upper mouth. I suspect unless you are super quick with a hook set that worm is pretty far down. I landed a large walleye using 2# test on a TM and my line wasn't even frayed. The hook was in the upper lip.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Transplanted Sportsman
05-23-2014, 05:12 PM
Your theory is correct. The TM is designed where 95% of trout are hooked in upper mouth. I suspect unless you are super quick with a hook set that worm is pretty far down. I landed a large walleye using 2# test on a TM and my line wasn't even frayed. The hook was in the upper lip.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Randy, did you catch that big ol' 8 pounder on 2 lb test?? gosh you definetivily are the man!!!

CrappieMan
05-23-2014, 05:42 PM
Alpha you still using those river runners? Have you tested the st croix trout series?

SaltySportsmanTV
05-23-2014, 11:58 PM
Nice fish! Keep it up!
><SALTY>

Alphahawk
05-24-2014, 12:02 AM
Alpha you still using those river runners? Have you tested the st croix trout series?

Yeah still use the River Runner but now am mostly using the Phenix Elixir....love that rod. Haven't tried the St. Croix.

Regards

CrappieMan
05-24-2014, 10:52 AM
Hey alpha you probably know me from c.com (vacrappieman) just curious what Phenix rod you have right now and if it's a softer rod or good backbone how comparable is it to the 6'8" ultra light river runner? Sorry I'm a man of to many questions lol...

Alphahawk
05-25-2014, 08:00 PM
Hey alpha you probably know me from c.com (vacrappieman) just curious what Phenix rod you have right now and if it's a softer rod or good backbone how comparable is it to the 6'8" ultra light river runner? Sorry I'm a man of to many questions lol...

It is the Elixir. Very similar to the River Runner but smaller at the butt and extremely sensitive....lighter than River Runner....much better quality.

Regards