PDA

View Full Version : UL Reel Recommendations

Adough
05-14-2014, 10:25 AM
Well.....After many seasons my UL reel broke on me this weekend. Tubing the Harpeth with my river rod when my reel seized on me. I did some surgery and found the "clicker" had broken off inside the spool. I generally fish this rod from my kayak or inner tube and as such I will get it wet, even submerged in river water. I'm looking at the Shimano Sedona or Sienna, and the Pflueger Trion or President. Being a river reel i'm leaning toward the Sienna or Trion. Anyone have any suggestions or input?
Thanks!
Andrew

creekcrappie
05-14-2014, 12:03 PM
I have a sedona and two trions. I like them both. My brother has a sienna. He likes it. I would get a sedona. I have an okuma stratos that is ok. It is $40 at dicks sporting goods. .

Alphahawk
05-14-2014, 01:04 PM
From the list you have I would go with the Sedona.

Regards

goreds.king
05-14-2014, 01:13 PM
All my spinning reels are Shimano and I haven’t had any problems…I’d go Shimano. Sedona, Sahara, Symetre…go with the one that fits your budget and you won’t be disappointed.

MNfisher
05-14-2014, 01:27 PM
I have a few sedonas, they work great. Of course the Sahara and symetre are better. But for the price, the Sedona is great!

Mike

Reel Tune
05-14-2014, 01:58 PM
I'm a big fan of Shimano reels, but of the 3 Sedona's I have (All 1000 Series) two of them get sticky/tight on the crank, this is due to a washer that swells inside the reel if it gets wet. I only have one Sahara and it's a 3000 series, and I've had no issues. I have 5 Stradic CI 4's (1) 1000ML, (2)1000, (2) 2500 Series, and have had no issues, and 2 regular Stradic's in the 2500 series with no issues. The two Sustains that I have are dreams to fish with, and I would like to have a Stella, but I've already spent my allotment of fishing gear this year, maybe next year I'll pick up 2.

Adough
05-14-2014, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the input guys! Price isn't really an issue but, when talking about a reel that I will put through unjustified torture, I'm reluctant to spend too much on it. Please keep the knowledge coming, still a few days til I head to BPS!

Alphahawk
05-14-2014, 03:56 PM
I'm a big fan of Shimano reels, but of the 3 Sedona's I have (All 1000 Series) two of them get sticky/tight on the crank, this is due to a washer that swells inside the reel if it gets wet. I only have one Sahara and it's a 3000 series, and I've had no issues. I have 5 Stradic CI 4's (1) 1000ML, (2)1000, (2) 2500 Series, and have had no issues, and 2 regular Stradic's in the 2500 series with no issues. The two Sustains that I have are dreams to fish with, and I would like to have a Stella, but I've already spent my allotment of fishing gear this year, maybe next year I'll pick up 2.

All the Shimano's have the new designs other than the Sedona. That swelling washer helped to give Shimano it's nick name in many circles "Shibindo"....LOL. My input was based on the list that was given. I will never buy another USA market spinning reel again....unless finances dictate it. I own several Stradics and have fished with a Sustain. When I bought the Daiwa Luvias reel made in Japan it ruined me. Two of my Stradics are a year old and I don't even like to pick one of them up after using the JDM reel. Winter time is usually gear buying time for me and my goal this winter is to purchase several more JDM spinning reels and some JDM UL rods. The gear made in Japan is just leaps and bounds ahead of the Chinese....Malaysia........and Korean made gear. Now having said all of that I still have a Stradic that is 4 years old and looks like it was dragged down the street as far as the finish on the reel. I have caught literally thousands of fish with that reel. I have performed regular maintenance on it and that is it. It is still on one of my rods and I do use it still. The bail spring is extremely weak and just not worth putting any money into it.....but like a Timex....it has taken a licking and has kept on ticking.

Regards

spottedbass
05-14-2014, 06:13 PM
I have 5 Pflueger President reels and have fished them ALOT. They still operate like new even thought they don't look like new anymore. They have been to saltwater many times, they have been banged around in canoes and I am still very pleased with them.

Adough
05-14-2014, 07:31 PM
I commited one of the internets cardinal sins. I am not choosing between those two brands and those four reels. I am interested in any suggestions for an UL reel in the $40+/- range. It will probably never see anything but 2lb line, unless there's a spare spool. I love UL fishing and would happily fish 1lb line if I could find it. It will be on a 5' rod. Last weekend when tubing I only used one lure, a white CM, endlessly tossed and never lost I brought in fish after fish. The highlight, a 10" red-eye with an 11" silver lamprey attached. A first for me. Anyways, please feel free to suggest other reels or brands.

bfish
05-14-2014, 07:45 PM
diawa ss tournament size 700

Alphahawk
05-14-2014, 09:51 PM
I commited one of the internets cardinal sins. I am not choosing between those two brands and those four reels. I am interested in any suggestions for an UL reel in the $40+/- range. It will probably never see anything but 2lb line, unless there's a spare spool. I love UL fishing and would happily fish 1lb line if I could find it. It will be on a 5' rod. Last weekend when tubing I only used one lure, a white CM, endlessly tossed and never lost I brought in fish after fish. The highlight, a 10" red-eye with an 11" silver lamprey attached. A first for me. Anyways, please feel free to suggest other reels or brands.

I have been a dedicated UL angler for quite a few years. If I wanted a reel in that price range the Shimano Sedona is the way to go...IMHO. Everyone has their favorite brand and so on. I don't have a favorite brand. Shimano no longer includes a spare spool. I have and use 1# test line from time to time. It is 1# test NanoFil....if you want a mono 1# test going to have to buy some DAM Tectan or some Stroft from the net somewhere. I use it with a spinning rod made from a 3wt fly rod blank....that is a lot of fun. The reel bfish recommended is more than you want to pay but if you want a reel that is just about indestructible the Daiwa SS 700 is it. It does not have instant anti reverse or I would own a few. It is a design that the haven't changed in 35 years...probably why it is so good...LOL.

Regards

Reel Tune
05-15-2014, 07:48 AM
I didn't know they still made the Daiwa SS 700. I had one for years, in my strip pit hopping days where I would strap the rod a reel to my four-wheeler and disappear into the thousands of acres of old coal mine stripped land with one small tackle box and beat that reel to death of 10-12 or more hours at a time. Then when I turned 16 it stayed in the back of my truck bouncing around. That was a tank of a reel, damn near indestructible. I may have one in a box somewhere, as I did go through several.

bfish
05-15-2014, 02:51 PM
FishUSA dot com is the only place I know that carries Tectan line.