PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Frogs

goreds.king
04-28-2014, 02:16 PM
One of my goals this year is to improve on top water and that starts with frogs…I’ve never fished them. I know they can cause heartache, but I’ looking forward to fishing them. If you are not comfortable revealing I understand, but I was wondering what type you guys use (hollow body, soft body, skirt legs, life-like legs, colors, etc.). I’ve done some research online, but I would like to hear from anglers in my area. Any advice is appreciated.

Pookie
04-28-2014, 02:32 PM
I use a soft body frog with paddle legs. I think they are all about alike. It seems that the largest mistake most frog fishermen make is trying to set the hook too quickly. Give him at least a 3-Mississippi count before setting the hook.

XxthejuicexX
04-28-2014, 03:00 PM
ish's Phat frog from snag proof! Internal rattle chamber and it does not take on water. I work it like a popper or walking bait. In open water set the hook like any other top water, it the muck and grass you want to wait for a few seconds or wait till you feel the fish. I like to trim the little legs down to an inch or so, it will help with the walking action. I throw solid Black ( papa midnight) or something shad color or pure white depending on sun and water color. I throw mine on a 7'1" Abu Garcia Villain with 65pound braid because I fish Guntersville so much and have to deal with all the grass there.

MNfisher
04-28-2014, 04:11 PM
I wait until I can feel the fish pulling away before setting the hook. It takes some getting used to!

Mike

Keep livin' the Dream!

creekcrappie
04-28-2014, 04:36 PM
I fish spooks and buzzbaits more than frogs, but when I fish frogs I use the spro frogs. Like mike said, it is easy to miss fish because you jerk it away from them too soon.

XxthejuicexX
04-28-2014, 07:20 PM
I have used spro frogs but they take on water every cast. I was using the bronze eye swimming frog yesterday and had to drain it every cast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis C.
04-28-2014, 08:16 PM
I prefer Zoom Horny Toads and fish them a little differently than traditional. You can do so much more with those type than hollow bodies.

Frogs are tremendous baits don't be afraid to fish them in open water or get pigeon holed to they are a lily pad bait. ;)

On the hook set instead of jerking at the explosion from the fish reel to it first then you'll feel and set. That way if the fish doesn't take it your not 40 feet closer to the boat with the lure in case the fish is chasing the bait.

bfish
04-28-2014, 10:43 PM
If you are setting too soon, then don't watch the bait. After the cast, look away, that way you won't set until you feel the weight (unless you hear the slurping noise:D).

Also vary your retrieve speeds and occasionally give your rod small snap/jerk (briefly changes the direction of the frog).

Travis C.
04-29-2014, 06:10 AM
occasionally give your rod small snap/jerk (briefly changes the direction of the frog).

The shorter you trim the legs on the hollow body frog the wider it will walk side to side.

Reel Tune
04-29-2014, 08:25 AM
Evolve hollow body frogs are my favorites
http://evolvebaits.com/products-nervous-walker-2.php

in the green leopard
http://evolvebaits.com/perch/resources/nervous-walker-leopard-green.jpg

I have a better hookup ratio that the frogs due to the material being softer, and they don't take on water as bad.

I throw it on a heavy action 7'6 Heavy Flipping stick. I keep the tip up 11 O' Clock while working the bait and when the blowup occurs I slowly lower my rod, this gives the fish time to take the frog. I lower to almost 9 O'clock and then swing for the fences it's almost a 3 count, but not quite.

I also use the Spros, and Captain Ken Frogs.

goreds.king
04-29-2014, 08:48 AM
Thanks guys! All this is great information and gives me a starting point.

Halli
04-29-2014, 05:50 PM
You could always paint this green and add some black spots but either way it works really well when cast very far from boat.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/Knhalli/topwater_zps9fb8d823.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/Knhalli/media/topwater_zps9fb8d823.jpg.html)

:D

blink
05-02-2014, 02:49 PM
My favorite hollow body frogs are the Booyah pad crasher and popping pad crasher. They are only about $6. so good value and hold up well. i fish them pretty slow, just walking, twitching, pausing. when the fish hits, i lower the rod tip and give it a sec before setting the hook. i fish these frogs with a strong rod and 50# braid.

For soft body frogs i fish the zoom horny toads. use an EWG hook and buzz them on top like a buzzbait. vary speed depending on how active the fish are.

i love frog fishing, and its starting to get good aready this year!

XxthejuicexX
05-04-2014, 03:44 PM
The frog bite started saturday on Guntersville after the sun got up. I had to leave early but I bet today was even better. We caught some good fish on frogs and had a lot of blow ups. I caught my first alligator gar on a frog!!!! I wish I would have got a picture it was a good looking fish. I think this year is going to be great for the frog.