PDA

View Full Version : A new restoration .. <'TK><

tkwalker
03-12-2014, 01:17 AM
Folks this was a first for me ... A year or so a go I restored a 1955 10 HP Johnson outboard for a client that he was going to place on his screened in porch at his home ... This past Christmas he received as a present a 1915 Toledo Butcher Scale ... He brought it to me to restore but wanted it painted in 1955 SeaHorse Green to match his Motor ... The scale was going to be a center piece in the adjacent kitchen to the Porch ...

The scale was a Beam and lever type scale ... Believe it or not very similar to the Fairbanks Morse Coal car scales that I use to work on at the TVA Gallatin Steam Plant back in the 70's ... just a lot smaller scale .. principle the same ..

It turned out great !! ... this is a Great piece of American Heritage ... See Pic's ... <'TK>< :)

MNfisher
03-12-2014, 05:38 AM
Great stuff TK! I remember seeing that scale in your shop, is it fully functional?

olddognewtrick
03-12-2014, 08:40 AM
Hey, you're good at restoration! Those two look better than new.

Now, if only there were human restoration procedures (that don't include drugs or surgery)! :D

Dakota
03-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Very nice TK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tkwalker
03-12-2014, 12:36 PM
Great stuff TK! I remember seeing that scale in your shop, is it fully functional?

Mike, the scale is functional and fairly accurate ... But since it is going to be used as a static piece I did not fill the dash pot with oil. What the Dash Pot does is that it acts like a shock absorber when the beam moves up and down .. If it leaks or gets spilled it makes quite a mess plus it would be detrimental to the paint ... <'TK>< :)

blink
03-12-2014, 01:46 PM
Looks great TK. I love old stuff like that.
I used to restore old balloon tire bikes and loved it.

nomad60
03-12-2014, 02:21 PM
Both the motor and scale look brand new. Great job TK.

Alphahawk
03-12-2014, 03:08 PM
Great work TK. For some of us on here we remember those scales in the stores.

Regards

SAMBOLIE
03-13-2014, 05:21 PM
Immaculate as always, TK.
You are amazing.

SaltySportsmanTV
03-19-2014, 08:20 PM
Wow, that looks amazing !

jimj3561
03-21-2014, 10:30 PM
With all that restoration some reality TV producer will be knocking on your door! I can see it now with you working on outboards whist FishingTN come by lying about the size of their catch - heck, I'd watch...

tkwalker
03-22-2014, 12:48 AM
With all that restoration some reality TV producer will be knocking on your door! I can see it now with you working on outboards whist FishingTN come by lying about the size of their catch - heck, I'd watch...

I appreciate the compliments ... But no one lies about their catch ... It Is honest in their hearts, eyes and the mechanical scales that they have on board ... But for me it is the experience and growing old and who are they sharing this moment with ... maybe life long memories ...

... To the upcoming fisherman it is his trophy ... and deserving one at that ... I will never stand between a fisherman and his Trophy !! If my honest opinion is asked I will give it ... But who am I just an old fisherman ... ... <'TK>< :)

Pookie
03-22-2014, 09:17 AM
You seem to have a knack at restoring '50 and '60 model items. I've got an ex-wife and a couple of girlfriends lying around of the same vintage, Think you could do anything with them?

Travis C.
03-22-2014, 09:23 AM
Looks awesome tk but apparently I slept through math class back in school.

How in the heck do you read the weight? :D