PDA

View Full Version : Salty offers: Lake tours and fishing guide services check out flyer and video details

SaltySportsmanTV
03-10-2014, 01:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdIaqrB-XfE&list=PLuSy6EGOTvLpSFKkpJZ1svjwMKGvPEsPW

Fish Whisperer
03-10-2014, 05:31 PM
Thats a great video.. It has me wanting to buy a gopro drone now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SaltySportsmanTV
03-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Thank you friend, all credit goes to my buddy Mike, he is the one that made that masterpiece of a drone. #Many modifications #Not a GoPro.

Halli
03-10-2014, 06:18 PM
Wrong section please move to the

Sports Lounge - General (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)

SaltySportsmanTV
03-10-2014, 08:57 PM
Oh will do I apologize

Halli
03-10-2014, 10:04 PM
No worries mate!

tkwalker
03-10-2014, 10:43 PM
Wrong section please move to the

Sports Lounge - General (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)

Thanks Halli ... No problem Salty ... We just need to list them where they may get the most exposure ... (For Members only) Non members need to contact me first ... <'TK>< :)

agelesssone
03-18-2014, 10:38 PM
Isn't a person required to be Coast Guard certified license holder to guide on navigable waters in Tennessee?

Carrying Passengers For Hire

Before a person may carry passengers for hire on the navigable waters of the United States, an appropriate license must be obtained from the U. S. Coast Guard. This includes ferry service, fishing guide service or any operation where consideration (monetary or otherwise) is required from the passengers.

tkwalker
03-18-2014, 11:28 PM
Isn't a person required to be Coast Guard certified license holder to guide on navigable waters in Tennessee?

Before a person may carry passengers for hire on the navigable waters of the United States, an appropriate license must be obtained from the U. S. Coast Guard. This includes ferry service, fishing guide service or any operation where consideration (monetary or otherwise) is required from the passengers.

This was activated in ...2001 .. This is what my License states that is on my wall and one also has to be posted on the vessel .. It is an expensive and lengthy process, EMT training, Navigational training, Have to join and a Drug testing Screening, Random annuals additional $$) Past experience in the waters and Fisheries you are applying for ... etc ... Here is a Summary of what My License States ....

United States Coast Guard ... To U.S. Merchant Marine Officer Capt. Terry Kirk Walker ...

Is Licensed to serve as Operator of uninspected passenger vessels as designed in 46 USC 2101 (42) Restricted to all Lakes in the Commonwealth of Kentucky and the State of Tennessee that are Navigable Waters of the United States, and to the Cumberland and Tennessee Rivers.

This is what you have to have to guide in the State of Tennessee .... <'TK>< :)

Reel Tune
03-19-2014, 10:48 AM
What if you are in a different vessel than your customers? Do you still need a Captain's License?

MNfisher
03-19-2014, 12:07 PM
I also thought it was just for navigable waterways. So JPP, Tim's Ford, Woods, Normandy, etc. you didn't need one. Is this correct?

tkwalker
03-19-2014, 12:25 PM
I also thought it was just for navigable waterways. So JPP, Tim's Ford, Woods, Normandy, etc. you didn't need one. Is this correct?

Navigable waterways that are maintained by the Corps of Eng. Usually Rivers.. There are few exceptions. When I took my training Dale Hollow even though land locked was considered a Navigable water way do to the fact it had inner state commerce barge traffic ... Hence Center Hill is not ... <'TK>< :)

MNfisher
03-19-2014, 03:04 PM
Navigable waterways that are maintained by the Corps of Eng. Usually Rivers.. There are few exceptions. When I took my training Dale Hollow even though land locked was considered a Navigable water way do to the fact it had inner state commerce barge traffic ... Hence Center Hill is not ... <'TK>< :)

Thanks for the clarification TK!

SaltySportsmanTV
03-19-2014, 07:28 PM
That all being said,I moved from south florida in 2007 to the state a tennessee. In 2009 I did graduate my EMT program at Vol State followed by my BSN-CRNA Currently attending. And as per a couple weeks ago Salty/ I confirmed with TWRA that in the state of TN. License is not required to take people out on the lake and or guide for pay. I will be happy to get the documentation to clerify. Thanks all...
greatly appreciated,
><SALTY>

Fishaholic
03-19-2014, 09:09 PM
Here is an excerpt from the Attorney General I found which may clarify things

It is the opinion of this Office that TWRA’s administrative interpretation, which exempts
fishing guides, charter boat operators and tournament fishermen from the definition of “commercial
fisher,” should be credited. Recreational, or sport, fishing is not defined under Tennessee’s wildlife
statutes or the regulations.And, unlike some states, Tennessee does not separately license or
regulate fishing guides. Charter boat operators, who take passengers and travel traditionally
navigable waterways, are generally subject to federal rather than state regulation. Although persons
who pursue these occupations may receive compensation for assisting others in taking fish from the
waters of the state, we believe the text of the statute on this point is sufficiently ambiguous that a
court would give deference to the agency’s construction of Tenn. Code Ann. § 70-2-205(b)(1).

So the way I interpret it is Tennessee does not require licensing but USCG which is Federal does. TWRA should know that and have advised you correctly, but then again I can't tell you how many times I have asked them a question and gotten misinformation.

tkwalker
03-19-2014, 11:29 PM
Here is an excerpt from the Attorney General I found which may clarify things

It is the opinion of this Office that TWRA’s administrative interpretation, which exempts
fishing guides, charter boat operators and tournament fishermen from the definition of “commercial
fisher,” should be credited. Recreational, or sport, fishing is not defined under Tennessee’s wildlife
statutes or the regulations.And, unlike some states, Tennessee does not separately license or
regulate fishing guides. Charter boat operators, who take passengers and travel traditionally
navigable waterways, are generally subject to federal rather than state regulation. Although persons
who pursue these occupations may receive compensation for assisting others in taking fish from the
waters of the state, we believe the text of the statute on this point is sufficiently ambiguous that a
court would give deference to the agency’s construction of Tenn. Code Ann. § 70-2-205(b)(1).

So the way I interpret it is Tennessee does not require licensing but USCG which is Federal does. TWRA should know that and have advised you correctly, but then again I can't tell you how many times I have asked them a question and gotten misinformation.

TWRA does not require the Lic. In fact I worked with Doug Markham when all of this came about in 2000 ... to fight this ... ( What brought all of this on then was that a Senator and his family had chartered a Duck Hunting Expedition in Louisiana, If I remember correctly the boat collided with another boat in the fog and lives were lost, Shortly after that a Surplus WII Army Duck Amphibous landing vehicle sunk at some amusement park that they were using for rides .. Like Beach Bend in Bowling Green, KY. use to have .. .) So Washington drug up some almost 100 year old USCG laws that was on the books and enforced them ...

This is a Federal ..USCG Reg. ... TWRA does not have any say so in this matter and they won't enforce it ... Your okay until the Coast Guard rolls up beside you ... I wouldn't take the chance ... I could not afford the fines and court cost plus taking my boat and equipment ...

Here is another reason you may want to consider ... I encountered 7 USCG vessel inspections during my days of Guiding ... But what happens sometimes especially if you are a Striper guide ... Is the hatred of locals for guides especially around Dams up stream on Old Hickory ... There were a few guides who were not respectful of the locals ... which made them hate guides ... and knowing of the new USCG law enforcement they would take boat numbers down and report you. (I could not tell you how many times I had to dodge Spark Plug weighted bottom rigs being cast from the bank )... Also disgruntled Clients who would report you because they did not catch a Trophy that day ... So they would try to get you in trouble with the Feds ... So when I saw We could not win over the USCG ... I received my Lic. in 2001 and always advertised through my brochures and website ... USCG Capt. Lic.

Salty your from Fla. ... All of the guides down there are required to have a 6 Pack lic. (I know I have two relatives that are big Time guides there) This is what that is ... Same thing ... Since you guided in Fla. I am sure you have this ... All you have to do is contact the USCG office in Nashville and show proof of the Water time that has been spent on the waterways of Tennessee and they will add an extension of your Lic. to this Area ... So on my Home Page that is why you see USCG Capt. TK Walker ... <'TK><:)

SaltySportsmanTV
03-20-2014, 09:52 AM
Thank you Fishaholic, thank you TK, great advise! sometimes one would think that they can rely on TWRA rules, adise and regulations but most times you have to have friends like you guys to watch your back!
Thanks again,
><SALTY>