PDA

View Full Version : Downstream VS upstream

jallen67
03-09-2014, 11:52 AM
When wading creeks/rivers, is it best to wade/fish downstream or upstream? Does it matter? Any pros or cons for either way? Talking about using UL tackle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MNfisher
03-09-2014, 12:01 PM
I like to wade upstream, then you aren't kicking up debris and silt that is drifting to the spots you are fishing. I also like retrieving down stream, it is a more natural presentation.

MickT
03-09-2014, 12:27 PM
It depends. I generally like to go upstream because fish are usually facing into the current, and you approach from behind. However, it also depends on where the access is. If I have better water downstream of an access, then I'm gonna give up some stealthiness to fish better water.

The vast majority of active fish will be in the first 1/4 of a hole after the shoal drops off, or the last 1/4 of the hole leading into the next shoal. If you approach these spots by walking the bank instead of wading, you will catch more fish regardless of whether you wade upstream or downstream.

creeksmallie
03-09-2014, 07:54 PM
I do both. The most important piece of the creek fishing strategy is to take your time. I have had clients that usually walk 3 miles of stream in a day. It sometimes takes me 3 hours to fish 200 yd stretches. I can recall many trips that have not produced a fish wading upstream and when we came back down we slayed them and vica versa.
Mike

thehick176
03-09-2014, 08:11 PM
Speaking of creek fishing, has anyone fished Barton's creek before it runs into the lake in Lebanon?

TroutFiend
03-09-2014, 08:23 PM
Yes, this is where I fish most of the time. It's only 15 mins. From the house. It stays pretty low key from the ramp to the right upstream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

jallen67
03-09-2014, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the help. I waded some of the little Harpeth Saturday but it was difficult with the amount of water flow it had. It was a fun day though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bfish
03-09-2014, 09:15 PM
I prefer fishing downstream, but both have their place and if you fishing in one direction at some point you turn around and fish your way back.

sbrison
03-10-2014, 07:06 AM
I prefer going upstream. I think you get better angles for your presentations.