PDA

View Full Version : Abu garcia silver max help

creekcrappie
03-08-2014, 01:12 AM
I was cleaning my silver max tonight and when I put it back together it was not as smooth and it didn't have any feel to it at all. Does anyone know what this might be? Has anyone ever ran into a problem like this?

Pookie
03-08-2014, 08:27 AM
I was cleaning my silver max tonight and when I put it back together it was not as smooth and it didn't have any feel to it at all. Does anyone know what this might be? Has anyone ever ran into a problem like this?
Rule #1 Don't take it apart if you can't put it back together.

XxthejuicexX
03-08-2014, 09:44 AM
I wish I could help, I have cleaned mine multiple times and never had any issues.

Travis C.
03-08-2014, 09:48 AM
When you cleaned it were all the moving parts inside cleaned off?

What did you use for lubrication?

creekcrappie
03-08-2014, 10:13 AM
Travis, the parts were cleaned off. I used academy brand reel oil. I think the problem was that I took some grease off the worm gear accidentally to get some dirt off. Is there a way to put more grease back on?

Travis C.
03-08-2014, 10:42 AM
http://www.bassmaster.com/gear/how-clean-your-reel

This will help.

SAMBOLIE
03-08-2014, 12:29 PM
What do you mean by no feel to it?

creekcrappie
03-08-2014, 06:14 PM
What do you mean by no feel to it?

It takes a lot more pressure to turn the handle. It just doesn't feel the same after I took some of the grease out even when I put some more back on it.

tkwalker
03-08-2014, 11:50 PM
It takes a lot more pressure to turn the handle. It just doesn't feel the same after I took some of the grease out even when I put some more back on it.

I know you know about the star drag ... It is more of a clutch system mechanism which would have nothing to do with your problem .. ... And I don't think the ABU (not familiar with the silver) Has magnet cast system ... But I am sure on the right side you have a bearing cast tensioner ...

It will be a chrome knob that is over a "O" ring and Plunger ... Right under the Star wheel ... What this does is puts tension on the bearings for casting ...

Rule of thumb ... Attach a bait ... Say 3/8 oz. Hold the rod and reel at waist height (you being a little shorter some adjustment will have to be done on the water under actual casting conditions ) .. Release the spool ... when the bait hits the floor the spool should rotate less than 1 revolution with no thumb action .. so adjust the tensioner respectively until this goal is reached ... ... This is ball park settings and will have to be fine tuned ... Do this every time you change weights of baits ... Now as you develop your skills you can adjust this to a point of no stopping when it hits the floor ... This is where the thumb and constant practice make you and the machine as one !! But before you try this you need to be able to cast overhand ,underhand, sideways and flip ... Use a swim ring as a target in the backyard. Also if you will be fishing from a boat ..when practicing you need to elevate yourself to simulate the height off of the water ... there is a difference ... Just like learning to throw a cast net .. two different ball games throwing from the ground and casting a net from a deck of a boat ... <'TK>< Hope this helps ... ;)

olddognewtrick
03-10-2014, 09:17 AM
Another possibility...
Make certain the spool, the spool release, and the handle side of the reel, seated correctly. I ran into a similar situation years ago and it was because I didn't have everything seated just right before tightening down the screws. It looked right, but wasn't.

GO-OKFISHIN
03-10-2014, 10:47 AM
Sounds like one of your gears is not engaging.

tkwalker
03-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Isaac, was one of the new reels you just received or one you had been using for a while ... <'TK>< :)

creekcrappie
03-10-2014, 10:28 PM
Tk, I have had it since august.