PDA

View Full Version : Sabiki Rigs

Jdkxtreme
03-03-2014, 12:24 AM
I am trying to find out if there are legal on Tn waters. I was in Basspro the other day killing time and saw them. Looks like a great way to get some bait. They appear to have about 6 hooks.

tkwalker
03-03-2014, 01:15 AM
I am trying to find out if there are legal on Tn waters. I was in Basspro the other day killing time and saw them. Looks like a great way to get some bait. They appear to have about 6 hooks.

Knock yourself out ... I made mine using Crappie Jigs ... Never over 3 ... Now using 6 with 1 to 2 pound skippies on each hook using an ultralite spinning rig ... well you are asking for trouble ... make your on ... <'TK>< :)

MNfisher
03-03-2014, 06:10 AM
Legal and work great!

Dakota
03-03-2014, 08:59 AM
Yupp have some and use them all the time for skipjack at old hickory dam and steam plant
U will catch all kinds of species with this rig. I pop it or rip it really hard several times then pause and repeat that motion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jdkxtreme
03-03-2014, 09:57 AM
Thank alls. I am still really confused on how they are allowed but only a 3 hook unbrella rig.

MNfisher
03-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Thank alls. I am still really confused on how they are allowed but only a 3 hook unbrella rig.

Never thought of that....good point!

Jdkxtreme
03-03-2014, 10:45 AM
I just don't want to be the one the guy makes an example out of.lol

Travis C.
03-03-2014, 01:22 PM

Based on what I can tell they took the old umbrella rig reg out all together in 2014. It's pretty black and white now. The piscatore Rig or Sabiki Rig is the only exception. Don't know why (probably has to due with it's packaging) but technically tying more than three jigs on a line yourself would be in violation even smaller crappie ones. With the old umbrella rig reg you could have tied on as many as you wanted if they were smaller than a certain size but that is completely gone now.

tkwalker
03-03-2014, 01:32 PM
Yupp have some and use them all the time for skipjack at old hickory dam and steam plant
U will catch all kinds of species with this rig. I pop it or rip it really hard several times then pause and repeat that motion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have posted this before but this technique always worked for me for catching skippies ... It is not so much the color of the bait but the action it makes ... I used ultra lite spin casters ... Similar to what Dakota is saying but what you want is a pulse in your retrieve ... I would hold the reel handle stationary and wind the rod this gives a pulse and whip via the rod tip ... Now you have all of the baits ... regardless 3 or 6 pulsing at the same time in a timed unison ... Like a small school of bait fish ... This is what drives a skippy nuts !! <'TK>< :)

bd-
03-03-2014, 02:23 PM

The umbrella rig regulation is governed by hook size. It wouldn't apply to a sabiki rig because the hooks are smaller than #6 size.

tkwalker
03-04-2014, 01:25 AM
The umbrella rig regulation is governed by hook size. It wouldn't apply to a sabiki rig because the hooks are smaller than #6 size.

Brian, I knew the hook size was the breaking point here ... Just could remember the size ... <'TK>< :)

Pookie
03-04-2014, 12:48 PM
I know this is going to sound like a fish tale, but...

We chartered a boat named "The Shark" with Capt Gus about 3 years ago in Sarasota. We began the charter by catching our own bait...with Sabiki Rigs. The first mate gave everybody a light spinning rig with every hook baited. Once we started catching bait, he didn't bother to re-bait the hooks. They used red hooks and we were catching bait on bare hooks at times. I had never seen that before.

Reel Tune
03-05-2014, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the clarification bd.