PDA

View Full Version : Crappie - Smallmouth

olddognewtrick
02-27-2014, 03:28 PM
I'm looking to take my kayak out to Kentucky or Barkley lake this saturday.
I know spots I use to fish from the banks are probably still too cold/shallow(this year) for what I want to do.

I'm not asking for your 'spot' or your 'go to' areas necessarily. I'm just wondering if anyone has some experience on where to find the fish in extremes like this winter. I know the water temps ought to be jumping up right now, and some species should be getting ansy about now.

I'd like to be able to get my yak out, anchor maybe, set out a catfish pole or two, or a crappie pole or two... and jig for some smallie action. Once I find something biting, I'd concentrate on that species. Anyone know where I should be looking to do this?
:D

Tightlines
02-27-2014, 04:15 PM
On Barkley Lake - try Jonathan Creek out towards the mouth in 20' on the ledges. On KY Lake. Same thing at Pisgah Bay and inside the rock quarry.

olddognewtrick
02-27-2014, 04:26 PM
On Barkley Lake - try Jonathan Creek out towards the mouth in 20' on the ledges. On KY Lake. Same thing at Pisgah Bay and inside the rock quarry.

Thanks! I am going to try and get to one or both, this weekend :)
I'll give a report, if I catch anything.

wormdunker
02-27-2014, 06:20 PM
You might take a look at KentuckyLake.com website and click on "fishing reports" I saw one updated report there. Also, Stevemcadams.com. He gives a pretty thorough report most weeks on conditions. I would attach the links but I don't know how to do that. Good luck and have fun.

Halli
02-27-2014, 07:22 PM
Below Cheatham dam is Barkley, I have heard today that some folks have been getting nice Whites on grub jigs with a little chartreuse color.
(my fav bait)

olddognewtrick
02-28-2014, 09:17 AM
Thanks wormdunker and halli :)
I did see the kentucky site yesterday after I had posted. Will have to check out stevemcadams.
White bass... that could be a lot of fun.

olddognewtrick
02-28-2014, 04:09 PM

Tightlines -
For Barkley Lake... do you mean Jones Creek? I haven't been able to find Jonathan Creek on Barkley, yet.
Thanks!

agelesssone
03-01-2014, 01:14 AM
Jonathan Creek is in Kentucky Lake, not Barkley.

Tightlines
03-01-2014, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the catch Agelessone! Big misspeak on my part... I was referring to and meant to say Eddy Creek on Lake Barkley. My apologies! Seems like I am having more of those sine I started getting the senior discount at Denny's!!! Indian Point RV Park is a good place to put in a kayak and short paddle to the mouth of Eddy Creek.

Alphahawk
03-01-2014, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the catch Agelessone! Big misspeak on my part... I was referring to and meant to say Eddy Creek on Lake Barkley. My apologies! Seems like I am having more of those sine I started getting the senior discount at Denny's!!! Indian Point RV Park is a good place to put in a kayak and short paddle to the mouth of Eddy Creek.

I started the day thinking it was Friday.......didn't realize it was Saturday until noon time.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tightlines
03-01-2014, 09:50 PM
Been there and got that t-shirt as well. Funny thing is I started fishing Eddy Creek with my grandparents when I was 5! LOL

olddognewtrick
03-06-2014, 03:01 PM

Right there with ya on the info not making it from the brain to the mouth/fingers haha!

I will have to try eddy creek soon.
i did make it out last saturday and though I didn't go to Jonathon on KY lake, I did use your advice at Clay Bay. Some tournament guys I spoke to said they weren't catching anything or were catching very very slow.
I ended up with one 19 in LM. I caught it late, around 3pm, when I started slow rolling a crawfish colored 7-8 ft running crankbait, in about 10-12 feet of water. That water was on a secondary point which dropped from 3ft to 20 ft in about 15 yards. I would have tried the main lake points but there was just too many tournament boats flying in and out of that area. The fish was COLD, and I imagine the ice storm did not help water temps much. Still, I plan on getting out this weekend and slow cranking that same bait all day long.