PDA

View Full Version : Little Lagoon - Gulf Shores, AL

jad2t
02-27-2014, 08:35 AM
Just curious if anyone has fished this area before. My wife and I are taking a vacation down there in late July and have a house for a few days right on the Little Lagoon which just so happens to be a similar brackish water environment that I fished a lot growing up in south Florida for redfish, snook, seatrout, etc so I'm super excited to fish that water again. I promised my wife that if I bring the kayak I'd only fish one day lol but it will be a FULL day.

While this place is too far North for Snook, this water is full of redfish, seatrout, flounder, and snapper. Hopefully we can have some very fresh seafood for dinner one night! Let me know if you've been there before. Otherwise, I hope to have a good fishing report to post in about 5 months!

GO-OKFISHIN
02-27-2014, 12:51 PM
Used to fish the mouth where it dumps into the Gulf a lot before the last hurricane. When the tides are moving you can catch just about anything. Caught a lot of redfish there. I know they did some major dredging and work on it. Have only fished the lagoon a couple of times w/ limited success. Go to Gulf Shores Pier Fishing forum. Lots of info there. Lots of stuff hidden so you need to register.

Reel Tune
02-27-2014, 01:00 PM
The furthest west I've fished in the panhandle is Destin. Let me know when you are going, right before hand and I can hook you up with some people.

jad2t
02-27-2014, 03:53 PM
The furthest west I've fished in the panhandle is Destin. Let me know when you are going, right before hand and I can hook you up with some people.

That would be awesome Jeremy, thanks! I'm going to try and make another trip down there later in the Summer and this one will be a hardcore fishing trip, leave the wife and dog at home. I'd like to get a few of the kayak crew to come along so I'll let you know if/when I can go back. There is a lot of really nice lodging right on the lagoon that split between a few people wouldn't be too costly. 3-4 days of floating along flats chasing redfish, I think so!

Travis C.
03-01-2014, 08:58 PM
I fished some in Orange Beach, AL last year then poked around at future opportunities.

I'd probably fish the Gulf side. We had a condo on Wolf bay just east of there and it was pretty barren for a long way in bottom contour. You will probably find some croaker, some form of trout and sailcats as they seem to be every where. The jetty that is on the west side of Perdido Pass Bridge pointing towards the gulf is a great place to fish out on the end. Berkley Gulp and a jig head or three way will probably keep you hooked up.

For food...if you haven't try Lambert's on the main drag into Gulf Shores (not on the beach) instead on the south bound road heading to the ocean. That was a high point. Ribs and Red's over in Gulf Shore's was over prices not really worth the food a low point. The Hang Out is a really cool place to get live entertainment and if you care to wait probably decent food (long waits).

Travis C.
03-02-2014, 08:05 AM
Let me know the general area at the Lagoon you will be fishing and I will pm you a Navioncs screen shot with depths if you want. It looks like it's a pretty uniform depth. On the Gulf side there's some good contour swings up by the beach which should give way to decent sunrise fish cruising shore.

jad2t
03-04-2014, 09:49 AM
Travis I never even thought about my Navionics app until you mentioned it. Looks like no depth detail is given for that area though. Either that or it's all very flat, even out in the middle. I've talked to a few on a gulf shores fishing forum and they basically confirmed my suspicions based on research and having fished that type of water growing up. It's pretty clear that this area isn't the spot for a trophy redfish. There are a lot in there, but not large ones. That's fine though. Just for sentimental value, it would be a big deal for me to finally catch another one. It's been 14 years. No snook that far North either.

The place is loaded with specks and flounder, great table fare. Also plenty of jacks which I've eaten and they don't taste bad but they're really just fun for the impressive fight they give you. Berkly Gulp shrimp baits, large curly tails, and some paddletail swimbaits will work great for all species. No need to buy an entire separate tacklebox full of saltwater gear. I'll get those, maybe a couple Johnson Silver Minnow spoons (those were my absolute go to on redfish down in Flamingo) and I'll bring some topwaters just in case.

Pookie
03-04-2014, 01:06 PM
Too bad there are no Snook that far north. This is the first year you could keep a Snook. The freeze took it's toll on them 3 years ago and the season closed.

Travis C.
03-04-2014, 06:55 PM
Hope you get into them Jimmy.

From the looks of the layout, I am willing to bet that a lot depends on how much flow comes or goes through that small canal inlet. Better check your tides on the day your fishing it as timing may make or break the day.

crosshairy
03-17-2014, 01:36 PM
Just curious if anyone has fished this area before. My wife and I are taking a vacation down there in late July and have a house for a few days right on the Little Lagoon which just so happens to be a similar brackish water environment that I fished a lot growing up in south Florida for redfish, snook, seatrout, etc so I'm super excited to fish that water again. I promised my wife that if I bring the kayak I'd only fish one day lol but it will be a FULL day.

My family has gone to the "West Beach" area of Gulf Shores every summer for the last 5 years, and we always stay on the Lagoon side so that we have access to both bodies of water.

In this area, you have 4 really great and cheap options - fishing the lagoon, fishing Little Lagoon Pass (that's the channel under the bridge connecting the Lagoon to the gulf), surf fishing on the beach, and going to Gulf Shores State Park Pier. As a previous poster said, I recommend going to the GSSP Pier forum and reading lots of posts about what's going on. There are forums on there that aren't dedicated solely to the pier, with fishing reports that even include Little Lagoon.

As far as the specifics of fishing the Lagoon, I have done OK by bringing a cast net with me and catching baitfish that I've used on a "Carolina" rig with a 1/0 Kahle hook. Many of the places that you can rent have fishing piers on them. Some of them are lit at night, so night fishing is actually pretty common for specks and flounder. A lot of sting rays are caught in the lagoon as well, and I've caught a handful of cats, but never a shark. There are small redfish that cruise the lagoon. I've seen a bull red that easily topped 20 lbs cruising the pass, but i'm not sure how far into the Lagoon they venture. The channel extending from the pass into the Lagoon (or out of it) gets fished fairly heavily, for good reason. I would definitely check that area out with your kayak.

My family and I will be in the area the week of July 12-22nd this year, so perhaps I'll see you around. Best of luck!

Saltwaterwalt
05-19-2014, 08:00 AM
Just got back from a week of fishing in the Gulf Shore's area. I fished a day in the lagoon when the winds kicked up too much to fish the bigger water. As mentioned, the inlet is always good. I also like the west end for reds. Since you're kayaking, I'd also fish Alligator lake, it's just west of the lagoon. I'm going back in June ... I love that area!

The beach fishing is also great if you can catch a calm day...usually can if you have a north/northwest wind. A south wind...forget about it!

crosshairy
05-19-2014, 12:48 PM
I went back to Little Lagoon Pass about 3 weeks ago (just before the big flood hit) for a quick trip. We hit the GSSP pier for the first day, and fished the pass the following morning.

We caught a handful of black drum that averaged 2 lbs each (VERY tasty) and a couple decent bluefish in less than an hour, then the bite shut off.

For the drum, we were bouncing fresh dead shrimp pieces on a pompano rig along the bottom in the current.

The bluefish were on a jerkbait and a spoon, also fished in the current.

We got no bites from the surf, but didn't try that hard since the bite in the current was more active.

The pier bite was slow, but the GSSP pier forum (register on there to read the fishing reports) is saying that the bite has picked up some in the last few days.

GO-OKFISHIN
05-19-2014, 01:26 PM
Can you still get to the mouth where it enters Little lagoon? I heard there was no place to park. I will be there July 4th. If it was anything like last year I probably won't leave the beach where we are staying.

Saltwaterwalt
05-20-2014, 07:42 AM
Not sure, we launched at the public ramp on the north side of the lagoon.

jad2t
05-20-2014, 08:26 AM
Glad to see this thread come back alive with good advice. I really appreciate all the information. As of now, my plans are to fish 2 or 3 times in the early morning before sunrise until maybe 9 or 10. I'm really looking forward to this vacation, not only for the fishing, but the vacation is a much needed one for me and my wife. Maybe I'll get a group of kayakers together in the late summer/early Fall period and we can make a hardcore fishing trip down there for 3-4 days.

crosshairy
05-20-2014, 09:13 AM
Can you still get to the mouth where it enters Little lagoon? I heard there was no place to park. I will be there July 4th. If it was anything like last year I probably won't leave the beach where we are staying.

They have a temporary parking lot set up while they do work on the channel walls (which were deteriorating pretty badly). I'd bet a few dollars that it's money that came from the BP remediation fund, since that area was overrun with earth moving equipment back then.

As far as the access goes, you park at the temporary lot, which is slightly to the north of the old one, and walk towards the lagoon side of the pass. Shoreline access does not extend towards the bridge, and the area where the showers/bathroom was is all closed off for work area. There's a good bit of shoreline on the lagoon side and part of the actual "pass" from that access point that is fish-able. My dad, brother, and I fished there for a while. The path to the water is about 10' wide. Although the walk to the water is slightly farther than before, it is definitely possible to carry/drag a kayak to the water from that lot.

As you recall, you used to be able to walk along the shore, beneath the bridge, and along the wall of the pass to the beach. This is not currently possible. We just back-tracked to the parking lot, walked across the street, and then walked along the construction fence barricade to reach the beach-side of the pass. Where the sheet pilings end along the wall, there's a ~40-foot section of the pass that is sand-lined where you can still fish in the current. We caught all of our black drum and bluefish from this spot.

Truth be told, I'm not 100% sure that this is intended to be a beach/surf access point, but we hugged the side of the construction barricade and avoided entering the neighboring house's "yard". The house (on the SE corner of the pass) is undergoing construction, and the workers there chatted with us as we walked past carrying our fish. Hopefully the use of that area doesn't turn up any problems.

KEEP IN MIND that with the construction at the pass, the sheet pilings have made the walls slightly narrower than before, which increases the velocity of the water flowing through. I would take care to time your return trip when the tide is not roaring out, because I'm not sure that you could make it without using a push-pole. I had a pompano rig with a 2-ounce pyramid sinker on it that wouldn't touch the bottom in that current, so paddling against it is probably not possible.

GO-OKFISHIN
05-20-2014, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the update. No I don't take my Kayak down there. It is crazy to see that water ripping through there. I cant imagine it with it being narrower. The last few years I have not had to venture farther than in front of the Phoenix 6 where we stay. Schools of Blues, Spanish, Ladyfish everywhere and occasional Pompano, Flounder and Redfish and plenty of sharks. Yes I know it is illegal to land them in Alabama but just saying what do ya do if you hook one? ;). Last year there were huge schools of baitfish the entire week we were there. Fish were in the jumps for 4-5 hours at a time.I also heard that you can't get under the Perdido Brige on the Florida side. That was always a good spot.

jad2t
05-26-2014, 05:11 PM
I'm envisioning floating across very shallow grass flats searching for tailing redfish. That's what I remember best from the days of fishing Flamingo. Does this occur in the Little Lagoon or is the environment a bit different? For sentimental value, it's a big deal to me that I land a redfish. I'm sure the specks won't be hard to find and I plan to get into them and hopefully bring home a meal for me and the wife one night but really my goal is to land a redfish from my kayak. I know they don't get too big in there but I'm not after a trophy. A 20 incher would make me happy, happy, happy.

crosshairy
06-06-2014, 03:59 PM
regarding the grass flats, I have never personally seen them tailing in the grass in the Lagoon, but most of the condos are in the central portion of the Lagoon. The East quarter or so of the Lagoon has substantially more vegetation on the banks than the central part (especially the south east end). Ironically, the closer you get to the big highway intersection, the more it starts looking like classic redfish habitat.

I have zero experience with actually fishing that end, I've just looked at the water from behind the shops and such.

I've cast-netted a few shrimp against the grass at the last place we stayed, which was the farthest east i've ever stayed on the Lagoon. It definitely looked like a spot that could hold some redfish and specks.

If you look at a satellite image, notice how the bank gets a lot more irregular with cuts and foliage on the SE portion of the lagoon. Those are the areas that I'm referring to. If you happen to go that way and do any good, let me know. I don't see myself doing a kayak trip in the Lagoon anytime soon, but you may change my mind.

jad2t
06-09-2014, 09:36 AM
Yea I see that area you're talking about. Looks like I'll be padding my way there. I don't know yet exactly where the condo is that we're renting so I hope it's not too far away. There's a restaurant that will cook your catch so hopefully I can bring in a few specks or reds for me and my wife to dine on.

Saltwaterwalt
06-27-2014, 08:33 PM
Just got back from Ft. Morgan today. Spent the past two weeks there. Fishing was great the first week, fizzled out a bit the second when fronts and rain started coming through and some really low tides. But in a nutshell, fishing from my kayak was good in Mobile Bay, there's an access along the road as you're heading to Ft. Morgan on the right. The early a.m. was best for specks. I did go with a local one night fishing the same are, but near lighted docks and we hooked some big reds, but both of the ones I hooked took me into the pilings and it was game over. We fished little lagoon, launching by the construction site where the pass is. They are leaving it open with some parking so you can get in there and launch. The speck/flounder bite is good in the early a.m., I watched the sun come up a few times and the surface action was great. Bomber Boink-a-Donks in gold were the hot lure. I also beach fished anytime there was a north wind, which lays the beach surf right down. I flyfished and spinfished and had equal luck on plenty of blue runners and ladyfish. You can access the beach on Mobile Street. You could wheel a yak out there, but I just waded to my chest and it got me out into the action. Shuffle those feet, plenty of door mat stingrays around, but the water is gin clear so you can see them, and them you...they leave you alone and go on their way. I love that area, can't wait to get back again. Photo on Little Lagoon, the pass.

Travis C.
06-27-2014, 08:50 PM
Nice report Walt. I am ready for a trip back that way as well.

You fishing the tourney next month? I am not this year and haven't heard a peep anywhere from bd. Surely he will find time to.

Saltwaterwalt
06-28-2014, 06:36 AM
Oh yeah, wouldn't miss fishing the carp tourney at Fly South. BD will be there as well, time to put the pressure on ... LOL.

GO-OKFISHIN
07-02-2014, 10:03 AM
I'm leaving tomorrow. Cant wait. Be there for 10 days.

jad2t
07-02-2014, 10:59 AM
I'm leaving tomorrow. Cant wait. Be there for 10 days.

Good luck!! Save a few redfish for me to catch because I leave in 21 days!

GO-OKFISHIN
07-17-2014, 12:36 PM
Well I just got back. Worst week of fishing I've had in 20 years down there. no schools running, no sand fleas. I had a shot at 1 school of Spanish but they were moving too fast. I finally resorted to soaking shrimp and caught 2 Lady fish, 2 small sharks and a catfish. Guys at J & M Tackle said it was bad everywhere, even the pier. Tides were good but North winds for several days. Oh well. I fished 5-6 hours a day also. I was at Florabama bar on July 4th though for the Miss Firecracker Bikini contest. :). Sorry no pictures.

jad2t
07-22-2014, 08:23 AM
Well I hate to hear that. You were fishing the Gulf side though, right? I'm not sure if I want to get the yak out there or not. I plan to stay in the Lagoon but if it sucks I may venture out into the blue water and see what I can get into. I leave tomorrow, hopefully I'll have good pictures when I return.

GO-OKFISHIN
07-22-2014, 12:39 PM
Yea I just fished the Gulf. Got lazy and just stayed in front of the condo. Hard to leave the tent and cold beer.

Travis C.
07-22-2014, 01:23 PM
I'm not sure if I want to get the yak out there or not.

Go for it Jimmy. Sharks eating kayak fishermen is an urban myth. :D

I am gonna play in the water a night this weekend...cold water. ;)

jad2t
07-22-2014, 03:03 PM
Go for it Jimmy. Sharks eating kayak fishermen is an urban myth. :D

I am gonna play in the water a night this weekend...cold water. ;)

I mean.. I've never had a kayak fisherman tell me he was eaten by a shark so as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't happen.

Have fun in the Caney Fork and good luck! I may get out there Tuesday July 29th for an overnight trip. You're welcome to join.

Travis C.
07-22-2014, 09:15 PM
I mean.. I've never had a kayak fisherman tell me he was eaten by a shark so as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't happen.

Have fun in the Caney Fork and good luck! I may get out there Tuesday July 29th for an overnight trip. You're welcome to join.

I am planning on it and you the same. I'd almost swap trips with ya....almost.

:D