PDA

View Full Version : Ready for Crappie

TNBronzeback
02-26-2014, 11:01 AM
Well i got my fish attractors made saturday and put them in the water on sunday. Hopefully they will work out as well as im hoping they will. with the lake at winter pool now, they are in water ranging from 4ft-14ft, so hopefully come summer pool, that will make them in the 8/10-18/20ft range. so with any luck, they see my attractors in the next few weeks and decide to take up residence, then follow them right out to deep water for a nice summer home! LOL...
after loading the boat with 20 of them, i could easily make another 20, and just build on what i have out there, and would still want another 20 added to that creating a nice fish haven (in theory) and will be able to catch fish off them all year long due to thier placement in the lake.
it was nice on sunday just to get the boat wet for an hour or so after a month of sitting in the garage collecting dust.

jaycee
02-26-2014, 11:07 AM
What type of material did you use to construct the attractors?

XxthejuicexX
02-26-2014, 11:19 AM
GPS locations or it did not Happen :D

TNBronzeback
02-26-2014, 11:40 AM
GPS locations or it did not Happen :D

ive got no problem trading spots. LOL...ofcourse a trade would require 2 people sharing equally good information. :D

TNBronzeback
02-26-2014, 11:51 AM
What type of material did you use to construct the attractors?

i used a combination of treated lumber, rusty metal, rubber tires and old haz-mat barrels. Just kidding. LOL.
I used dollar store plastic easter buckets, 30 minute sakcrete and kiln dried hardwood sticks. they stand about 4-4 1/2ft. tall and are about 30" wide at the top. im hoping they will be more snag-less then a brush pile, but will still be attractive enough once moss and such starts growing on them to bring in the food chain. i guess realistically they could get moved in the warm summer months as well. dive down, hook them up and pull them aboard to be moved to another location. i would think that hardwood should last quite a few years. so i guess i have a stake-bed style attractor but in deeper than a few feet of water.
and just a heads-up for anybody, i believe the 30 minute concrete dry time, starts the minute you buy that stuff, i barely got it mixed in 1/4 bag batches and it was getting set up.
my intent was to rig up a system where i could lower them down slowly on a rope of sort and "un-hook" them once they were on bottom and standing up right, but after fighting concrete, wind blowing my buckets over and breaking screws, it was all i could muster just to get them on boat without smashing them all in a fit of rage! LOL
Im actually kind of curious how they would show up on a good down or side imaging sonar unit.

Jdkxtreme
02-26-2014, 11:55 AM
I just got my permit back a day or so ago so I am going to be putting out about 10 Christmas trees in buckets with concrete.

TNBronzeback
02-26-2014, 11:59 AM
yeah i missed the boat on the Christmas trees this year, thats what i really wanted to do. maybe next year i wont lolly gag and start driving around the subdivisions Sanford and Son style picking up tree's! lol

TroutFiend
02-26-2014, 12:13 PM
yeah i missed the boat on the Christmas trees this year, thats what i really wanted to do. maybe next year i wont lolly gag and start driving around the subdivisions Sanford and Son style picking up tree's! lol

That deserves "Tip of the week"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

XxthejuicexX
02-26-2014, 12:19 PM
ive got no problem trading spots. LOL...ofcourse a trade would require 2 people sharing equally good information. :D

I am willing to trade whatever info you want. I have a great chicken salad recipe :D, I also have some fishing locations for various species.

jaycee
02-26-2014, 12:41 PM
Those look really good. Should produce soon. Christmas trees and limb rot away rather quickly. A small bottle tied on top will keep most upright.

jaycee
02-26-2014, 12:45 PM
4900here are some I put out in sept and oct.

TNBronzeback
02-26-2014, 01:50 PM
Those look really good. Should produce soon. Christmas trees and limb rot away rather quickly. A small bottle tied on top will keep most upright.

Thanks! if i had a larger boat/pontoon boat, it would be alot easier to make larger/fuller attractors, but that little 15ft flat bottom i got was loaded down with them things.
i can get some bamboo like yours, but its not that tall, cause that was my first idea. i would think bamboo would last quite a while.
i placed mine in a fence-row pattern almost. drop 2-3 in 5ft of water close to each other, then slide out to 7-8ft and drop a few more, go a little deeper and throw a few more, ect, then i went aobut 12ft deep on that original string and went perpendicular with some more.
my thought is crappier are fairly easy to pin-point in the spring, and they arent going to travel too too far for thier summer locations, so if i can provide both with one shot, well that will save me on gas.

nailman_83
02-26-2014, 01:54 PM
I just got my permit back a day or so ago so I am going to be putting out about 10 Christmas trees in buckets with concrete.

I have been trying to figure out the permits for Old Hickory, but I haven't been able to get a hold of anyone with the TVA. They have the one for Priest online. Is there one for Old Hickory?

jad2t
02-26-2014, 01:56 PM
Im actually kind of curious how they would show up on a good down or side imaging sonar unit.

I'll let you know when I find them with mine and catch all your crappie!

Alphahawk
02-26-2014, 02:15 PM
i used a combination of treated lumber, rusty metal, rubber tires and old haz-mat barrels. Just kidding. LOL.
I used dollar store plastic easter buckets, 30 minute sakcrete and kiln dried hardwood sticks. they stand about 4-4 1/2ft. tall and are about 30" wide at the top. im hoping they will be more snag-less then a brush pile, but will still be attractive enough once moss and such starts growing on them to bring in the food chain. i guess realistically they could get moved in the warm summer months as well. dive down, hook them up and pull them aboard to be moved to another location. i would think that hardwood should last quite a few years. so i guess i have a stake-bed style attractor but in deeper than a few feet of water.
and just a heads-up for anybody, i believe the 30 minute concrete dry time, starts the minute you buy that stuff, i barely got it mixed in 1/4 bag batches and it was getting set up.
my intent was to rig up a system where i could lower them down slowly on a rope of sort and "un-hook" them once they were on bottom and standing up right, but after fighting concrete, wind blowing my buckets over and breaking screws, it was all i could muster just to get them on boat without smashing them all in a fit of rage! LOL

They will show up very well. When you can cover a couple hundred feet out it doesn't take long to find cover. I am so pumped to get out and try mine out. I don't have any problems catching crappie but it will open up so much more water for me. It is tough at times fishing blind out of a kayak.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jdkxtreme
02-26-2014, 02:28 PM
I have been trying to figure out the permits for Old Hickory, but I haven't been able to get a hold of anyone with the TVA. They have the one for Priest online. Is there one for Old Hickory?

615-822-4846 or 615-847-2395

TNBronzeback
02-26-2014, 02:31 PM
I'll let you know when I find them with mine and catch all your crappie!

HA HA! Suckers! i merely call these things "crappie" attractors, when in fact they are specifically designed to attract and hold carp, gar and turtles!
i just had to find out who i could trust on this site. LMAO

I really have no problems divulging information, i dont have GPS on my humminbird unit, so i cant give anybody exact GPS coordinates, best i can do is good ole redneck directions and landmarks. LOL

nailman_83
02-26-2014, 02:42 PM
615-822-4846 or 615-847-2395

I have tried those and the guy they transfer me to is never in.

XxthejuicexX
02-26-2014, 03:18 PM
HA HA! Suckers! i merely call these things "crappie" attractors, when in fact they are specifically designed to attract and hold carp, gar and turtles!
i just had to find out who i could trust on this site. LMAO

I really have no problems divulging information, i dont have GPS on my humminbird unit, so i cant give anybody exact GPS coordinates, best i can do is good ole redneck directions and landmarks. LOL

I am good with the Gar! I am willing to swap locations. I have some good bass, crappie, catfish locations I will share.

TNBronzeback
02-26-2014, 03:30 PM

ya might try emailing them. thats what i had to do for JPP since the link on thier website for the permit was a dead link.

Jdkxtreme
02-26-2014, 04:41 PM
If you leave a message he is super good about calling back. He is just one person doing all the permits

Jdkxtreme
02-26-2014, 04:46 PM
Here is his email Earhart, Robert A LRN <Robert.A.Earhart@usace.army.mil>
I will tru to attach the application also

nailman_83
02-26-2014, 05:38 PM
Here is his email Earhart, Robert A LRN <Robert.A.Earhart@usace.army.mil>
I will tru to attach the application also

Awesome! Thanks. Do you email it to him? How long do they take to get back?

Jdkxtreme
02-26-2014, 05:46 PM
I printed and filled out then scanned it and emailed it back. Took about a week

agelesssone
02-26-2014, 05:53 PM
Are you guys fishing Priest or Hickory. I've got about 200 waypoints on Priest and about 10 waypoints on Hickory.

I could do some trading, Priest for Hickory. Heck I'll even take you fishing on'em!

jaycee
02-26-2014, 08:52 PM
With today's electronics, there are no secrets. I have attractors out a few days and see boats cruising around marking them. PVC pipe does not show up as well on electronics as brush.

Your attractors will attract more species than crappie. People watch where others fish and come back later. Just expect company and have fun.

TNBronzeback
02-27-2014, 09:09 AM
im all for company....a whole boat full of pretty gals, sunbathing, or even the Wear It boat wanting to give me another inflatable life vest!
Everybody else can bugger off! LOL