PDA

View Full Version : Caney Saturday/Sunday

lupanfreitag
02-24-2014, 09:14 PM
Saturday.

The day started with an incident. Got up, loaded my john boat in the truck and headed out. First clue something was amiss was I was nearly out of gas. Strange, I thought I filled it up last week. I stopped and filled the truck up with gas. $80. I noticed a strong gas smell but it was a gas station. What else could it be? Decided to check air in the tires. Added air to three of the four. Gas smell still strong. So very strange.

Finally before I pulled onto the interstate I stopped at McDonald's to get a tea. I left my truck running. As I was filling my cup I glanced out the window..... there was a stream of something running from under my truck. Radiator? Transmission fluid? I crouched down. It was coming from the center of the truck... the gas tank.
I ran outside, bent down and smelled the liquid.... gas. I turned off the truck and crawled under. Gas had sprayed from the top of the tank all over the bed, tail pipe and of course the ground. There was probably two gallons on the ground and more coming. I was lucky it did not burst into flames. Called a tow truck and friend took my boat and gear home.
Loaded everything but the boat in the car and headed out. I was fishing hellfire or not. (Today I found out the line running from the fuel pump to the engine had been chewed on... "Probably a squirrel.")

It was a great day on Saturday. Fished from noon to five. After an hour of lure chucking, I resorted to night crawlers. Literally there was a hit every single cast. I caught 35 and kept 5. Only one was a brown. On average the rainbows were larger than most years. All hooked in the corned of the mouth.

Sunday was slower. Fished from 10-3. I caught 12. Half were browns. Around 3PM the bite stopped completely. Weather wise the two days mirrored each other but results were dramatically different.

Good times had by all until I slipped on a rock and ripped my waders. From fire to water.

One last note, the game warden made an appearance on Saturday and Sunday. On Sunday he was in a kayak. He ticketed two boats for not wearing life jackets. The second boat was moved to shore and forced to pull out.

Moral of the story is even if your truck nearly explodes still go fishing in spite of the slippery rocks and wear your lifejacket when boating and if on shore laugh at those who don't.

Dakota
02-24-2014, 09:24 PM
Saturday.

The day started with an incident. Got up, loaded my john boat in the truck and headed out. First clue something was amiss was I was nearly out of gas. Strange, I thought I filled it up last week. I stopped and filled the truck up with gas. $80. I noticed a strong gas smell but it was a gas station. What else could it be? Decided to check air in the tires. Added air to three of the four. Gas smell still strong. So very strange.

Finally before I pulled onto the interstate I stopped at McDonald's to get a tea. I left my truck running. As I was filling my cup I glanced out the window..... there was a stream of something running from under my truck. Radiator? Transmission fluid? I crouched down. It was coming from the center of the truck... the gas tank.
I ran outside, bent down and smelled the liquid.... gas. I turned off the truck and crawled under. Gas had sprayed from the top of the tank all over the bed, tail pipe and of course the ground. There was probably two gallons on the ground and more coming. I was lucky it did not burst into flames. Called a tow truck and friend took my boat and gear home.
Loaded everything but the boat in the car and headed out. I was fishing hellfire or not. (Today I found out the line running from the fuel pump to the engine had been chewed on... "Probably a squirrel.")

It was a great day on Saturday. Fished from noon to five. After an hour of lure chucking, I resorted to night crawlers. Literally there was a hit every single cast. I caught 35 and kept 5. Only one was a brown. On average the rainbows were larger than most years. All hooked in the corned of the mouth.

Sunday was slower. Fished from 10-3. I caught 12. Half were browns. Around 3PM the bite stopped completely. Weather wise the two days mirrored each other but results were dramatically different.

Good times had by all until I slipped on a rock and ripped my waders. From fire to water.

One last note, the game warden made an appearance on Saturday and Sunday. On Sunday he was in a kayak. He ticketed two boats for not wearing life jackets. The second boat was moved to shore and forced to pull out.

Moral of the story is even if your truck nearly explodes still go fishing in spite of the slippery rocks and wear your lifejacket when boating and if on shore laugh at those who don't.

Wow I'm tired just reading that. Lol. It's funny how if a guy wants to go fishing we are going fishing! Hey I didn't realize you had to wear life jackets on The caney. I always have my light duty life jacket on. Nice report I was wondering about the caney just the other day.

Alphahawk
02-24-2014, 10:35 PM
Sorry for the vehicle troubles. Can't stop a man from fishing.

Regards

tcintn
02-24-2014, 11:06 PM
I truly understand.When you are going to fish,sometimes nothing can stop you.
I will agree that Saturday started slow with me also,but over last hour things were very exciting.Also the numbers were great.:)

MNfisher
02-24-2014, 11:07 PM
Too bad about the truck, but nice work catching!

TroutFiend
02-25-2014, 06:45 AM
Were they get ticketed for not having PDF's on directly below the Dam or further downstream?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

creekcrappie
02-25-2014, 08:18 AM
Sorry about the truck, but nice fish!

culprit7.5
02-25-2014, 09:14 AM
Great story. Not a big fan of the yard squirrels...they have an attraction to trailer wires also. Glad to hear you kept your momentum toward fishing and were productive. It only builds character and it sounds like you were rewarded with some good action.

lupanfreitag
02-25-2014, 11:46 AM
Immediately below the dam. No generation but still dangerous

Just remembered when I was 10 a guy pulled out in front of my dad and me on the way to local fish club lake in Illinois. Car was totaled, ambulance came. Few cuts and bruises but ok. Mom picked us up, we went home and dad asked me what do you want to do? Stay home? I said let's go fishing. And we did.

Really... What else could one do?

tkwalker
02-25-2014, 12:08 PM
Were they get ticketed for not having PDF's on directly below the Dam or further downstream?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Pretty sure all of the citations was given within 300 yards of the Dam .. It has always been the law but never really enforced on the Caney until the Corps tried to enforce the barriers Last year. So To be on the safe side I am sure TWRA decided to step this up to try to prevent any deaths do to the lack of wearing a PFD. It beats barriers and restrictions and access .... <'TK>< ;)

browntrout
02-25-2014, 01:42 PM
Pretty sure all of the citations was given within 300 yards of the Dam .. It has always been the law but never really enforced on the Caney until the Corps tried to enforce the barriers Last year. So To be on the safe side I am sure TWRA decided to step this up to try to prevent any deaths do to the lack of wearing a PFD. It beats barriers and restrictions and access .... <'TK>< ;)

It's probably hard to see those bright yellow 100ft by 100ft signs right next to the water.

Roy