PDA

View Full Version : Best Battery?? with warranty

backdoc
02-22-2014, 01:49 PM
I always have used the Walmart Everstart batteries. 1 24 series for cranking and 2 27 series for 24V trolling motor and electronics. Walmart always had 12 month free replacement and a great prorating system. Average battery last 18-24 months so I could prorate them. I just had one go dead after 14 months and went to replace it and they have done away with prorating altogether and are going to make me just purchase a new one. Time to switch companies. Batteries are about $80-$90.

What are you all using and what warranties? I live between Antioch and Brentwood.

Buccaneer
02-22-2014, 03:54 PM
Dekka Marine Master. The Dekka factory store is in Madison off of Myat Drive.

Dakota
02-22-2014, 04:19 PM
Agree with buccaneer deka off myatt drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thehick176
02-23-2014, 05:50 PM
I have heard from many that Dekka batteries are the best. I have 3 Interstate batteries in my boat right now and haven't had any issues

Tennoutdrsman
02-23-2014, 06:51 PM
Dekka..hands down..

Transplanted Sportsman
02-24-2014, 03:11 PM
I'm inthe market for a new battery as well for my TM, do you all know where can I buy this Dekka battery other than Madison, I live in Shelbyville, thanks in advance for the info!

SAMBOLIE
02-24-2014, 03:23 PM
I'm inthe market for a new battery as well for my TM, do you all know where can I buy this Dekka battery other than Madison, I live in Shelbyville, thanks in advance for the info!

I think o'reilly auto parts batteries are made by Deka.

90titans89
02-24-2014, 04:40 PM
I always have used the Walmart Everstart batteries. 1 24 series for cranking and 2 27 series for 24V trolling motor and electronics. Walmart always had 12 month free replacement and a great prorating system. Average battery last 18-24 months so I could prorate them. I just had one go dead after 14 months and went to replace it and they have done away with prorating altogether and are going to make me just purchase a new one. Time to switch companies. Batteries are about $80-$90.

What are you all using and what warranties? I live between Antioch and Brentwood.

I like the Dekas for the trolling motor. If you are running electronics and livewells all day, I recommend the Sears platinum PM1 for a cranking battery. Yes its big, heavy, and cost a few bucks but it's a beast. Mine is still going after 5 years.

http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-marine-battery-group-size-31m-price/p-02850131000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Farley
02-25-2014, 10:53 AM
If you will get an on board charger and keep them fully charged it will go a long way in keeping your batteries strong and last a long time no matter the brand. Not saying some brands aren't better than others just keeping them charged all the time makes them last a lot longer.

culprit7.5
02-27-2014, 04:34 PM
I've been researching trolling motor batteries these past two weeks and today I made the call. Once I saw the comments about Deka in Madison I gave them a quick call. I talked to Scott for about twenty minutes yesterday and he gave me a lot of good advice and information that was very helpful regarding battery care and upkeep. I thought I was doing the right thing with my charger that would trickle once full charge was reached and Scott educated me on the correct way. I certainly knew a lot less than I thought I did about chargers. What Farley posted earlier is exactly right. I drove to Madison today (easy ride - about 35 minutes from Frankliln). Scott set me up with a new 31 group trolling battery with storage box and an on board charging system that's FULLY automatic. This way, when the battery is fully charged, the charger will shut completely off and not restart unless the battery sits so long that it loses a bit of charge. I am fully confident that my set up will now handle anything I ask of it and I don't have to carry around my old charger. Thanks to everyone that replied to the original poster's question, very helpful.

TroutFiend
02-27-2014, 04:45 PM
I am going to go the Deka route to I think. What was warranty and cost for that model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Transplanted Sportsman
02-27-2014, 04:47 PM
I talked to Scott for about twenty minutes yesterday and he gave me a lot of good advice and information that was very helpful regarding battery care and upkeep.

Would you mind sharing what you learned from Scott??, I have a small boat and most times I just troll with the TM so I take my walmart bought deep cycle marine battery out to be recherged every time, I beging the charging process at 8 amps once the battery gets to 100% then i begin again at 4 amps when it gets full then I switch to 2 amps, I wish I could afford a better charger but this is what I got for right now, I was told this was the best way to recharge but that was a couple of years ago and this person may not be as knowledgeable as Scott, thanks in advance!!

culprit7.5
02-27-2014, 05:30 PM
There was not a warranty because I actually opted for a "2nd" or "Blemish" one that they had just gotten a shipment of yesterday from the factory. By this classification, the only difference from a "new" one was that it had been tested by the factory. It is the exact same battery minus the stickers on the outside. It has never been used or refurbished. This was my first question. So basically, they hook it up to a tester and it is "tested". I got the battery for $103.00. This included a $10.00 discount for giving them my old one. Regular price would be closer to $300.00, so more than half off the regular price just for being "tested". I also got a 6volt on board charger for $109.00 along with battery box and terminal nuts. All in, I was out the door for $238.17. Not bad when you compare the regular cost of a battery not classified as a 2nd. Scott assured me that with proper use of the charger, this battery should be lasting me at least five years. This was not an in and out sale. I went in and was able to take my time asking any questions I could think of and they were in no hurry. They explained everything about each item as well as assuring me of the classification difference. If you get a battery for the full price, then I believe there is a two year warranty. I'm not 100% sure about this because I spent very little time considering paying full price once I learned of the "2nds". He had just gotten some in on the truck yesterday just before I called and said he doesn't always have them, but I bet that is not too often. I think he had quite a few available.

culprit7.5
02-27-2014, 05:52 PM
As far as what I learned from our conversation, there are a few simple rules to follow. (First of all, sitting out in my driveway over the last two months has not helped at all. I did fully charge my previous battery every three or so weeks but the extreme cold didn't help). 1) Always recharge the battery when you get back from a trip as soon as possible. 2) Buy as big of a battery as you can afford or want in your boat that will do what you are requiring of it. Go big. 3) Fully automatic is the way to go when selecting a charger. The one I was using worked well for me for years on the same gel battery but it would start a "trickle" charge once it reached "full" status. Apparently, this is not so good for the battery. The full auto ones will shut completely off while remaining plugged in and not come back on unless they sense the battery has lost some charge. It's almost like I was compromising the ability of my battery by leaving it on the charger because once full, it would keep kicking on and off. the charger I bought from them was the "Dual Pro - RS1 - 6 amp". I think earlier I said "volt" but meant to say "amp". I hope this helps and if you want to ask Scott any questions, give him a call. Especially since I am very capable of leaving something out that he may have told me. His number is 612-6124.

Transplanted Sportsman
02-27-2014, 06:14 PM
Culprit you done a good job explaining me what I needed to hear, I recon if I need to get some questions answered I can give Scott a call, thanks for the info!!