Do you guys have any of these thinking of trying a few

http://www.basstacklehq.com/rapala-adds-two-scatter-rap-crankbaits/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nomad60
02-22-2014, 09:20 AM
Do you guys have any of these thinking of trying a few

http://www.basstacklehq.com/rapala-adds-two-scatter-rap-crankbaits/

I bought a couple last year and tried them. And tried them. And tried them. Never had a hit. But then, I'm not a crankbait guy and no one is more surprised than myself if and when I do catch a fish, any fish, on a crankbait.

Dakota
02-22-2014, 12:52 PM
Funny because IM a big crank bait guy. This is actually a new version from last year

Buccaneer
02-22-2014, 03:59 PM
I have the original model from last year. They are a very light lure and difficult to cast on conventional crankbait gear, i.e baitcasters with 10-12lb line and 7'6" parabolic action rods. Used on spinning gear with line weights under 10lb they are manageable. Caught more fish on a standard square bill with pause and snap rod action.

nomad60
02-22-2014, 04:44 PM
I have the original model from last year. They are a very light lure and difficult to cast on conventional crankbait gear, i.e baitcasters with 10-12lb line and 7'6" parabolic action rods. Used on spinning gear with line weights under 10lb they are manageable. Caught more fish on a standard square bill with pause and snap rod action.

Good point, I had forgotten about that. I'm still going to keep giving them a try though. Like many other baits that I don't have total confidence in, I'll start out using them, and if I don't get a hit within 30 minutes, I go back to what I do have confidence in (Senkos and jigs). I do plan on using crankbaits of every kind a lot more this year though, Lord knows I spent enough money on them so I may as well learn how to catch fish on them :)

tacklemake
02-22-2014, 05:07 PM
I have caught LM bass on them last year...........woody

culprit7.5
02-23-2014, 10:19 AM
Actually, I had tremendous luck yesterday with this lure. I was throwing it on a 7'2" fiberglass baitcast rod and 10lb flouro. My casts were plenty far enough and I caught several quality largemouth in anywhere from 4' to 8'. They were not hammering it of course, but in pre spawn, I plan on that to change. The action seemed a lot more appealing to the fish because when I lost the one I was throwing, I went to a standard diving crankbait in almost the same color and no more bites. The action seemed too aggressive for this time of year and the Scatter Rap's action was noticeably different. With all crankbaits, I was retrieving as slow as possible but staying in contact with the bottom. I just think the fish really liked it. After losing the one I had taken as an experiment ($8.99) at BassPro, I cam home and ordered six different ones on Ebay, all for $7.39ea.) Sorry to ramble, but I think these lures in 1/4 oz are really good for shallow bass fishing this area. The Shad Rap has always been my "go to" lure for this time of year and make sure it has some red on it.

Dakota
02-23-2014, 11:38 AM
Actually, I had tremendous luck yesterday with this lure. I was throwing it on a 7'2" fiberglass baitcast rod and 10lb flouro. My casts were plenty far enough and I caught several quality largemouth in anywhere from 4' to 8'. They were not hammering it of course, but in pre spawn, I plan on that to change. The action seemed a lot more appealing to the fish because when I lost the one I was throwing, I went to a standard diving crankbait in almost the same color and no more bites. The action seemed too aggressive for this time of year and the Scatter Rap's action was noticeably different. With all crankbaits, I was retrieving as slow as possible but staying in contact with the bottom. I just think the fish really liked it. After losing the one I had taken as an experiment ($8.99) at BassPro, I cam home and ordered six different ones on Ebay, all for $7.39ea.) Sorry to ramble, but I think these lures in 1/4 oz are really good for shallow bass fishing this area. The Shad Rap has always been my "go to" lure for this time of year and make sure it has some red on it.

Thanks for the info!

Heiny57
02-23-2014, 12:02 PM
Looks like good action. It just hooked me. LOL