PDA

View Full Version : Question about Cheatham Dam

nomad60
02-19-2014, 08:55 AM
Have any of you guys fished out of a boat below Cheatham dam? If so, is there a dock? From looking at Google maps, it doesn't look like there is one, which would make launching a boat by yourself rather challenging. And, can anyone tell me how the fishing is below the dam? I was reading the book "Two Dozen Fishin' Holes" by Vernon Summerlin and the author says you can catch big striper, white bass, sauger, and crappie right below the dam. It's not too far from where I live so I'd like to give it a try sometime this spring. Thanks for any inputs.

commdd
02-19-2014, 09:13 AM
i have been there and have witnessed a decent crappie/white bass bite in the spring/fall from the shore. i have not launched there but it looks to be in a protected pocket. lots of the boaters fish the lock wall corners. like anywhere the water moves pretty good with a couple of generators so check the http://www.tva.gov/lakes/ceh_r.htm before you go. heres a video on how to lauch a boat by yourself, i use this technique and it works like a charm. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH3DxLX5hJg

nomad60
02-19-2014, 10:14 AM
i have been there and have witnessed a decent crappie/white bass bite in the spring/fall from the shore. i have not launched there but it looks to be in a protected pocket. lots of the boaters fish the lock wall corners. like anywhere the water moves pretty good with a couple of generators so check the http://www.tva.gov/lakes/ceh_r.htm before you go. heres a video on how to lauch a boat by yourself, i use this technique and it works like a charm. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH3DxLX5hJg

Thanks for the reply and links. I may just have to take a drive down there to see what it looks like. If it looks like I can drag the boat up and rest it on shore like in the video, I'll give it a try but if the shore has lots of rocks/rip rap, then no. I've tried that method before launching by myself during cold weather at the Clarksville marina but my boat barely cleared the trailer due to my rope being too short LOL

GO-OKFISHIN
02-19-2014, 10:49 AM
Yes there is a ramp on Ashland City side. Cheatam Dam Road off of Highway 12. Pretty steep. Fishing with 1 generator is ideal. 2 or more is a lot of water. Good Bank access on other side but gets crowded in the spring. Still plenty of room though. There are other places downstream to access but you have to know the back roads. There used to be a ramp off of Old Ferry Road but you need 4 wheel drive. As far as fishing goes, you won't be disappointed if you hit it on the right day.

MNfisher
02-19-2014, 11:19 AM
If you fish it in may/June/July, you will get your first striper!

nomad60
02-19-2014, 01:49 PM
Yes there is a ramp on Ashland City side. Cheatam Dam Road off of Highway 12. Pretty steep. Fishing with 1 generator is ideal. 2 or more is a lot of water. Good Bank access on other side but gets crowded in the spring. Still plenty of room though. There are other places downstream to access but you have to know the back roads. There used to be a ramp off of Old Ferry Road but you need 4 wheel drive. As far as fishing goes, you won't be disappointed if you hit it on the right day.

It can't be much steeper than the ramps at the new Clarksville Marina! Those aren't only steep, but long, as well. I'd hate for my brakes to give out while backing a boat up on those LOL

nomad60
02-19-2014, 01:54 PM
If you fish it in may/June/July, you will get your first striper!

Can I hold you to that? ;)

MNfisher
02-19-2014, 02:58 PM
Can I hold you to that? ;)

Yep!

Halli
02-19-2014, 05:33 PM
It can't be much steeper than the ramps at the new Clarksville Marina!

It is about the same as Clkv and has a wee bit of silt bottom shore to the right side of the ramp but not sure how far up it goes.

As for fish It has a reputation better than below Old hickory for it's fisheries.

GO-OKFISHIN
02-19-2014, 05:44 PM
Yep!

X2. Just let me know and I will show you what I know. Used to drive there 5 days a week. It's over by 7.30-8 AM but it is usually worth it. Used to be some posts on here about it from me but that was maybe 8-9 years ago. Not sure if they are still around.

SAMBOLIE
02-19-2014, 07:04 PM
It can't be much steeper than the ramps at the new Clarksville Marina! Those aren't only steep, but long, as well. I'd hate for my brakes to give out while backing a boat up on those LOL

Why are you backing a boat up the ramp?

nomad60
02-19-2014, 08:00 PM
Why are you backing a boat up the ramp?

Because that's the way I roll :) Why do things the easy way and pull the boat up the ramp like everyone else when you can execute a tight 180 and back it up the ramp? That's why I'm such a chick magnet.

And yes, I should have said "while backing a boat down those."

nomad60
02-19-2014, 08:03 PM
X2. Just let me know and I will show you what I know. Used to drive there 5 days a week. It's over by 7.30-8 AM but it is usually worth it. Used to be some posts on here about it from me but that was maybe 8-9 years ago. Not sure if they are still around.

Sounds like the fishing below the dam is a lot better than the fishing above. I fished Cheatham lake 2 times last year in open tournaments and both days, not too many keepers were caught. If I remember right, in the second open, 1 bass won it LOL

SAMBOLIE
02-19-2014, 09:21 PM
Because that's the way I roll :) Why do things the easy way and pull the boat up the ramp like everyone else when you can execute a tight 180 and back it up the ramp? That's why I'm such a chick magnet.

And yes, I should have said "while backing a boat down those."

Nomad I know you are smarter than that. I am not so sure about Merv. :)

agelesssone
02-20-2014, 08:18 AM
HEY! I was smart enough to find a fishing partner yesterday that knew where the fish were!

lupanfreitag
02-20-2014, 08:21 AM
If the flood doors are open, especially if no turbines, throw a swim bait at the lip of the flood doors where the falls meets the water. Early in the morning, you will get a hit every time.

wormdunker
02-20-2014, 08:55 AM
I have fished there quite a bit, and yes, some days the fishing is very good. It seems to depend on generation. I like 2 generators on. If the spill gates are open, it is hard to fish up close to the dam, the water can be pretty treacherous., I rarely go when the gates are open, if they are, I'll go on downstream, but the current is pretty strong when the gates are open, so you'll need a pretty good trolling motor. As far as launching, no there is no dock at the end of the long, fairly steep ramp, and not much to tie off to. It helps to have a really long rope. Lifejackets required from ramp up to the dam. I didn't get to fish there as much this Winter as usual because the flood gates have been open most all the time. Good luck and be safe.

sbrison
02-20-2014, 09:21 AM

x3 - Just make sure you use one of your week days off to fish it. Can get pretty crowded during the week, weekends are really a dog fight to get a spot

nomad60
02-20-2014, 04:06 PM
x3 - Just make sure you use one of your week days off to fish it. Can get pretty crowded during the week, weekends are really a dog fight to get a spot

Since Tom B. just got that nice new Express that can run 60+mph, I'm hoping to talk him into making a run up there sometime on one of our Fridays off. Problem is, he's only interested in bass fishing.