PDA

View Full Version : Crappie spawn is soon!

creekcrappie
02-18-2014, 09:07 AM
I got 2 keepers and 8 non keepers today on JPP. One of the keepers was 13 inches and she was about to pop she had so many eggs. The other was barely 10 inches. They were in 4 foot of water and really crushing my jig. It didn't matter the color or the style, they hit it just the same. They all fought like white bass.

Alphahawk
02-18-2014, 09:14 AM
Congrats! You will know when the spawn is close by how much blood is in their eggs. The eggs will have red lines in them and will get more as time goes on. So when the eggs are really full of the blood lines they are ready. I could be wrong but the spawn is probably at least a month away. But they could be in pre-spawn.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XxthejuicexX
02-18-2014, 10:28 AM
The ones I cleaned Sunday night Isaac had eggs but they were not formed all the way and had no blood lines in them. I am sure some have slid up shallow but I still think like Alpha said it's a bit away.

Buccaneer
02-18-2014, 04:58 PM
Isaac - It's all about water temp. What did you find in the shallows where you were today? Generally speaking the water temp needs to be 60, held steady over the night, and you can bet they are staged to spawn. 50 degrees will have them moving in and gorging themselves along the way.
http://www.crappie.com/bruce/article4.htm

Alphahawk
02-18-2014, 05:32 PM
The article is spot on but also needs to be noted that in TN those spawning activities will take place from early March through May...and often on into June. There will just be a constant movement of fish taking place of those that have spawned...moving in and out. I mention this as I know Isaac fishes from the bank and if this has started....or when it starts there will be fish most likely in your same spot week after week. I'm hitting Nickajack tomorrow. Just a scouting trip but I hope they have moved into my spot. Hope you keep getting into them.

Regards

Reel Tune
02-19-2014, 12:31 AM
Nice Issac, better weather, and more consistent fishing is just around the corner.