PDA

View Full Version : Trout Magnet flouro knot

jad2t
02-16-2014, 03:44 PM
I sent this to Alphahawk then decided to post it as the answer may apply to many of us on the forum and others may have good input:

Hey I was wondering if you could help me out. I tie my 4lb mono to 2lb flouro leaders using a blood knot and then a clinch knot from the 2lb flouro to the TM. My issue is that when I get hung up and have to break off, 100% of the time the blood knot breaks and I wind up losing my flouro (which is expensive!) as well as the TM. I'd rather just break off at the TM and save my leader. Any different knot combos you know of that I could tie to remedy this? Thanks!

Alphahawk
02-16-2014, 04:11 PM
I wish I could help you there....but I go through the same thing many times a day when fishing. Maybe someone can give us an answer. I have tried several knots and it is same result.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tacklemake
02-16-2014, 06:14 PM
just tie straight to the jig...............woody

Dakota
02-16-2014, 06:22 PM
I've used double Albright for years. I won't use any other not tying on a leader.

agelesssone
02-16-2014, 06:41 PM
I've taken to tying the alberto knot when tying on my leader. Hasn't failed me yet.

Alphahawk
02-16-2014, 06:53 PM
It doesn't matter much what knot one uses in this case. Four #test tied to 2# test...the weakest point in the whole setup is going to be where the leader is tied. In my case I am using 2# test tied to 2# test leader...once again the weakest point of that set up. He is not talking about his leader failing....but when you are hung something has to break....and where those two lines are joined is most likely the weakest spot. It is debatable if a fluorocarbon leader will help you catch fish....so I won't argue that point...but a fluorocarbon leader will help one catch more trout....of that there is no doubt. I use a lot of NanoFil line in my fishing and I always use a fluorocarbon leader...even for bluegill.....simply because NanoFil has absolutely no abrasion resistance....especially in 2# test which is only .002 diameter. Many knots work...I use the triple overhand....or surgeons knot....but when your hung...well your hung. The Trout Magnet hooks are steel not wire...so no bend in those.

Regards

SAMBOLIE
02-16-2014, 08:44 PM
I've taken to tying the alberto knot when tying on my leader. Hasn't failed me yet.

Probably won't until you hook something. :)

Travis C.
02-16-2014, 08:47 PM
http://www.flyfishingtraditions.com/assets/664/climax_tippet_rings.jpg

I've used these fly fishing Jimmy and I am sure they'd work for the leader to line if you're worried about that knot connection. It's still knots but would be another option for you.

Fly shops and BPro have them.

TroutFiend
02-16-2014, 09:02 PM
One way I fish the TM for local creeks and on the lakes is PLine Flour-clear 4#. I fill the entire spool on my Pflueger with this and do not use a leader and catch a lot of fish. But when I trout fish I have this same setup, but I will use a 2lb. Flouro leader. When I fish the Caney for trout I do not get hung up near as much as when I fish local water so flouro cost is not as big a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

nailman_83
02-17-2014, 10:10 AM
I use the double uni knot

olddognewtrick
02-17-2014, 10:13 AM
I use the double uni knot

I use this knot for braid to mono/flouro, and it works great. But, I've never used it on anything less than 8lb test.

jimj3561
02-17-2014, 02:14 PM
my problem with the 2# leader is SEEING it - my eyes have gotten worse and fingers fatter!!

Alphahawk
02-17-2014, 02:35 PM
my problem with the 2# leader is SEEING it - my eyes have gotten worse and fingers fatter!!

I'm with you on that. I figure I only have 3 or 4 more years of using 2# test......I can barely see it now.

Regards

jimj3561
02-17-2014, 03:31 PM
I'm with you on that. I figure I only have 3 or 4 more years of using 2# test......I can barely see it now.

Alpha - I figured you had some magical method for tying that 2# line!! Glad I'm not the only one. Maybe I need to bring along a knot caddy...