PDA

View Full Version : Last piece of the puzzle.

Alphahawk
02-15-2014, 12:16 PM
Received my HD transducer from Humminbird today. Great turn around with them. Sent mine to them Monday and received the new one today. I will be going to HOOK1 this week to see how they propose to mount this transducer. This thing is a beast. The screen on the unit is 7 inches....that transducer is just big....LOL. Glad I have HOOK1 to help me out.

Regards

Travis C.
02-15-2014, 12:33 PM
Your gonna be so spoiled now. :D

Congrats on the new depthfinder.

Alphahawk
02-15-2014, 12:47 PM
Your gonna be so spoiled now. :D

Congrats on the new depthfinder.

Thanks Travis. Took me a year to save for it and make up my mind which one to get. It comes with the compact si transducer but I wanted the HD one. So I paid 85 bucks to swap out at Humminbird. I don't know how this is going to work out but I know Chad at HOOK1 knows his stuff but the only si transducers I can find mounted on kayaks doing a google search is the compact ones. Well time will tell.

Regards

Travis C.
02-15-2014, 12:54 PM
Took me a year to save for it and make up my mind which one to get.

Regards

This year my wife is getting lasik and next year will be my turn but I have been thinking a lot about those big side scan depthfinders...:D

Alphahawk
02-15-2014, 01:27 PM
I will use it for a lot of different situations but I wanted it to find deep water Gill beds and Gills. Laurel Hill is 300 plus acres and when the fish go deep you can catch them but you have to find them. This will be a game changer for me....especially in the summer. Will also use it for same on Center Hill or any lake I am on.

Regards

MNfisher
02-15-2014, 06:15 PM
This will be a game changer for me....especially in the summer.

Regards

And will be a game changer for me when I am paddling right behind you :D

Alphahawk
02-15-2014, 09:07 PM
And will be a game changer for me when I am paddling right behind you :D

Anytime Mike.....they can't hide now....LOL.

Regards

MNfisher
02-15-2014, 11:20 PM
Anytime Mike.....they can't hide now....LOL.

Regards

Now it's going to be even more frustrating when we can't get a bite...LOL

Alphahawk
02-16-2014, 07:28 PM
Headed to HOOK1 in the a.m. to see the guys there and have them figure out where to put this unit on my kayak. Pretty excited to start using it.

Regards

jad2t
02-17-2014, 08:21 AM
Now it's going to be even more frustrating when we can't get a bite...LOL

Yea because we can no longer use the excuse "there were just no fish around today" haha.

XxthejuicexX
02-17-2014, 10:59 AM
There is nothing more frustrating like seeing fish on your sonar and not being able to get them to bite. We ran into that yesterday crappie fishing, we caught about 40 off the spot Saturday and could not get a bite Sunday despite seeing fish on the sonar over and in the brush. The water temp up around Jefferson springs is at 49 degrees. People were catching crappie in 4' of water.

Alphahawk
02-17-2014, 02:41 PM
Yeah that is frustrating. HOOK1 is installing it right now and I should pick it up tomorrow.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reel Tune
02-18-2014, 12:42 AM
Congrats Alphahawk. You'll have to take pictures of the screen on the water and post them up so we can all see what we are missing.

Alphahawk
02-18-2014, 03:22 PM
Congrats Alphahawk. You'll have to take pictures of the screen on the water and post them up so we can all see what we are missing.

Thanks Jeremy.

Regards

Alphahawk
02-18-2014, 03:28 PM
The guys at HOOK1 had my kayak ready today. They do great work. While I was at HOOK1 today a man walked in. I looked at him and said "Don't I know you". He replied yes you do. As soon as he spoke I knew who he was. It was the QAQC guy that was with me in Saudi in the 90's through 2001. It was good to see him. He is 77 and kayaks regularly....no fishing though just kayaks. It really is a small world.

Regards

XxthejuicexX
02-18-2014, 03:37 PM
Alpha, that is nasty looking. I love it!

MNfisher
02-18-2014, 03:58 PM
What a rig!!! Can't wait to see it in action!

TroutFiend
02-18-2014, 04:16 PM
Sweet. Those Gills are in for trouble! My friend lives in FL and has an Ocean Kayak brand. Not sure of model but it has the recessed built in trolling motor. It was killer on the Caney when he brought it up. I hope you get good use out of the new rig.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

goreds.king
02-18-2014, 05:00 PM
The new kayak looks great!

Curious what made you decide to put the transducer there. Was this your decision or did the folks at HOOK1 suggest it?

I have the Predator and I love the rod pod. If the OK BGII is like the Predator there is not (if any) pad eyes. Using the predrilled holes on the rod pod I added a few...they have already come in hand a few times.

Alphahawk
02-18-2014, 05:43 PM
The new kayak looks great!

Curious what made you decide to put the transducer there. Was this your decision or did the folks at HOOK1 suggest it?

I have the Predator and I love the rod pod. If the OK BGII is like the Predator there is not (if any) pad eyes. Using the predrilled holes on the rod pod I added a few...they have already come in hand a few times.

Chad listend to how I wanted the transducer mounted close to me as I am too big to reach way out to swing it up when I beach the kayak. He suggested the chair tower and I liked it. But there is also a plan B and C. If my paddle stroke distorts the image too much I can move it further back on to one of the mounting pads....or up front if necessary. In my research all of the pics I saw of a side imaging in use on a kayak you could see the paddle strokes...but it was nothing big. If you look to the center lines those are the paddle strokes....pretty neat really.

Regards

Travis C.
02-18-2014, 10:17 PM
Looks great!

My depthfinder is needing to be re worked. I had bought the one saltwaterwalt posted on here and used it maybe 5 times before breaking the mounting bracket for the head unit. Leaned the boat up on its side then forgot about it and wind blew it over on pavement. Sucked but already have a lowrance coming to replace it. I am really interested in how you like your transducer mount. That may be the route i go or similiar and completely removeable.

jad2t
02-19-2014, 12:46 PM
Looks awesome and the more pics I see of a DSI unit, the more I want one! That will probably be my next big purchase for the yak but not for a while. I need to save money and quit buying toys!

Reel Tune
02-20-2014, 08:33 AM
Great screen shots, lets see some fish.

MNfisher
02-20-2014, 01:16 PM
That's awesome! Can you just do screen shots from the unit itself?

Alphahawk
02-20-2014, 01:42 PM
That's awesome! Can you just do screen shots from the unit itself?

Yeah...just install an SDHC card and snap away...LOL. Got a lot to learn but as soon as I find my first Gill beds in deep water will take some shots of the bed. As soon as weather gets a little warmer will go down to VFW or Laurel Hill and test it out. I know where plenty of shallow beds are there in only 5 or 6 feet of water so I can go over them and learn what I should be looking for.

Regards

MNfisher
02-20-2014, 04:26 PM
Do you think the beds still show from last year?

nomad60
02-20-2014, 04:27 PM
Wow, you have that yak pimped out, Alpha! Nice!

Alphahawk
02-20-2014, 06:01 PM
Do you think the beds still show from last year?

Oh yeah.....I know quite a few.....problem is, so do a lot of other folks......LOL. Both those lakes will be very clear until the water turns 70 degrees and I will just use it as a test place so to speak. Supposedly you can a see great detail in as little as 2 feet of water. I have been playing around with it at home. Here is what the Gill beds will look like. This pic was of some in about 5 feet of water. Of course I am chasing those that bed deeper....but this is what I will be looking for. Testing it out at home I find that for my eyes the amber or brown colors works best for my eyes with the side imaging. Chomping at the bit to get this in the water.

Regards

Alphahawk
02-20-2014, 06:02 PM
Wow, you have that yak pimped out, Alpha! Nice!

Thanks Nomad...now to do as Jeremy says.....go fishing.

Regards