PDA

View Full Version : Blue Hole Area effects from Great Fall Dam

jad2t
02-14-2014, 12:20 PM
I plan to make a couple kayaking trips there this Spring to chase the Walleye run that way. My question is to whomever has fished this area before, how heavily can the dam be generating and it still be safe to kayak? Per Google Earth it looks like on low water I can put in at the access area on Beach Road and there is some fast water that if I can't paddle through, it should be no issue to drag my kayak across the gravel shore by the island if I want to head upstream of it. I'll start out fishing downstream of it and see how that goes.

I'm not at all familiar with the generation habits of that dam or how heavily it affects downstream of it. Right now they're releasing 3800 cfs. Below Center Hill Dam that would move a kayak downstream sort of quick but not too quick to be able to control and adequately fish.

I'm aware of the rule that in that area fishermen are restricted to a single barb hook until April 1st. So I guess no crankbaits unless I feel like removing the trebles and placing a single hook on.

As always, anyone who wants to join me when I make these trips is welcome!

XxthejuicexX
02-14-2014, 01:17 PM
I would love to catch some walleye up near the blue hole. I don't know if I can get a bass boat up there or not.

jad2t
02-14-2014, 01:50 PM
I would love to catch some walleye up near the blue hole. I don't know if I can get a bass boat up there or not.

You can. It will be mostly bass boats but you know me, I like my plastic vessel!

I'm considering replacing the trebles on my favorite cranks/jerkbaits with single barb hooks to comply with the rules. Anyone ever done this? More work than it's worth?

XxthejuicexX
02-14-2014, 01:59 PM
You can. It will be mostly bass boats but you know me, I like my plastic vessel!

I'm considering replacing the trebles on my favorite cranks/jerkbaits with single barb hooks to comply with the rules. Anyone ever done this? More work than it's worth?

You can buy some new Crankbaits with just one large single hook. It might not be a bad idea because it's going to be something different that I am sure they are not getting a look at because of the regulations.

Fishbus
02-14-2014, 02:15 PM
Two points:

I have been in the control room at Great Falls Hydro and watched via camera the TVA police rescue fishermen that got caught when the generators came on.

Secondly, the Jackson family (kayaks) lives right there across from the power house because the white water is so good.

Therefore, I would not underestimate the river (not that you, personally, would) until you get some first hand knowledge. I have been wanting to go there also.

Billy

Fishbus
02-14-2014, 02:17 PM
I also heard recently when I was over there to hike around, that because of the lowered lake conditions on Center Hill, bass boats cannot easily reach Blue Hole at this time. YMMV.

Billy

jad2t
02-14-2014, 03:15 PM
Yea it might be best to play it safe and only venture out there when the generators will be off all day. It's never worth the risk, regardless of how good Walleye taste!

Unfortunately I'll be spending a lot of my Spring in Massachusettes for a work project so I won't get to do near as much fishing during March-May as I was anticipating from the day I bought my kayak last year in May:( That being said, I will pick my fishing trips carefully when everything works out perfectly like weather and generation forecasts where applicable. Other times I'll spend with my wife since she surely wouldn't appreciate me traveling M-F every week and then spending the whole weekend fishing haha.

outback fisher
02-14-2014, 04:07 PM
The pictures on google earth are at summer pool it can get pretty rough up the during winter generation times. Boats can not get up much further than the ramp at the park. There is a lot of whitewater coming over the gravels that you see on google earth. Also fishing cranks might work but it is shallow most people use 1 oz sauger jigs tipped with tuffy minnows.

FloatNFish
02-14-2014, 05:52 PM
I've heard about some pretty treacherous water downstream of the dam when they are running water. Know a lot of whitewater folks frequent the area so be careful and do your due diligence...

-Alex

wormdunker
02-14-2014, 07:12 PM
I used to fish up there about this time of year and it never seemed to be too bad current wise from the ramp area in the park on downstream. Now, you go up above the ramp area and into the blue hole, that would get your attention. Of course, we have had a lot of rain this year, not sure what it would be like now. I would suggest calling up the office there at Rock Island state park and talking to a ranger. I used to do that and they were always willing to tell you what the water conditions were like. Hope you get to go. It's a beautiful place to fish.

bryanemtp
02-14-2014, 08:23 PM
I live about 5 minutes from the park. Right now and for the last 5 years or so, there is no way to get a bass boat up into the blue hole. It is too shallow a lot of days for even big bass boats to put in at the park. However, the walleye fishing is best from the access on beach road down to Webb's Camp Marina. I would love to join you anytime you would like to go Jimmy. I also prefer to fish from my kayak, although I usually stay in the rivers above the dam.

jad2t
02-16-2014, 03:45 PM
I live about 5 minutes from the park. Right now and for the last 5 years or so, there is no way to get a bass boat up into the blue hole. It is too shallow a lot of days for even big bass boats to put in at the park. However, the walleye fishing is best from the access on beach road down to Webb's Camp Marina. I would love to join you anytime you would like to go Jimmy. I also prefer to fish from my kayak, although I usually stay in the rivers above the dam.

Absolutely man, I'll let you know ahead of time before I make a trip out there.

CreekWalker
02-17-2014, 11:23 AM
I was there yesterday for my first time. I didn't bother trying to get my jon boat very far upstream from where the rapids split which is about 100 yards upstream from the boat ramp.

We were fishing big minnows and only had two bites on a half day trip - both coincidentally at the very same time. One was a spotted bass and the other a chunky 17" smallmouth.

Wanted to get into some walleye but no luck!

Jonesy
02-21-2014, 04:41 PM
Yea it might be best to play it safe and only venture out there when the generators will be off all day. It's never worth the risk, regardless of how good Walleye taste!

Unfortunately I'll be spending a lot of my Spring in Massachusettes for a work project so I won't get to do near as much fishing during March-May as I was anticipating from the day I bought my kayak last year in May:( That being said, I will pick my fishing trips carefully when everything works out perfectly like weather and generation forecasts where applicable. Other times I'll spend with my wife since she surely wouldn't appreciate me traveling M-F every week and then spending the whole weekend fishing haha.

do you striper fish? MA is the epicenter of striped bass fishing with more all tackle world records from her storied waters than anywhere (CT currently holds the title with greg myerson's 82lber).

you'd be up there during the herring run, where hoards of bass will be chasing bait far up the rivers. you'd also be there when the mackeral come through and the squid come in. big bait equals big bass :)

PM me if you'd like some details