PDA

View Full Version : Bass jig jig head questions

creekcrappie
02-13-2014, 07:02 PM
Yesterday I bought some 1/4 Realbait finesse jigs. I have some hoppy's flea flicker jigs in assorted sizes and colors. I usually fish a football head or a flat headed jig like a mean mouth pro rocker jigs. I thinking about buying some ball jigs made by mean mouth lures. My question is where and when I should use each style jig? From my understanding you use a football head on points or humps deeper where there is no heavy cover and the bottom is made of rock. I have heard you can use a pro rocker anywhere in any sort of cover. What is the difference in all the finesse jigs and how do they come thru cover differently? The link is to the ball headed jig. The pics are the jigs I have. The realbaits one is the one with the red eyes.

http://www.meanmouthlureco.com/estore/products/detail/?prodid=36&optionid=459

creekcrappie
02-13-2014, 07:06 PM
Another pic

SAMBOLIE
02-13-2014, 07:21 PM
In my experience they all hang on rocks, limbs, etc.
I can't tell the difference in one or the other. I think it is just marketing fluff.

commdd
02-13-2014, 08:09 PM
here is a wired2fish article about types of jigheads...hope it helps..
http://www.wired2fish.com/5-skirted-jighead-styles-for-bass-fishing/

XxthejuicexX
02-13-2014, 08:29 PM
I know this will sound crazy to most bass fisherman but I don't fish a jig, I own some but don't fish them. I would rather throw a D bomb Texas rigged than a jig, no faith in them at all.

MNfisher
02-14-2014, 12:31 AM
no faith in them at all.

x2

gboyce
02-14-2014, 07:11 AM
Football jigs are good for deep water applications. The head design is meant to not let it get wedged in between rock and crap along the bottom. Also Most football jigs basically sit on their back and keep the point of the hook facing up. When combined with a craw type bait it make it look like its on the defensive and bass will smoke it. They are great for figureing out what type of bottom your are fishing also. Combined with good rod and line they transmit alot of feeling back to you.

The finesse jigs have the smaller stream lined head on them. While you cant work them thru heavy matted grass they will come thru most weeds. They do hand up but not nearly as bad or easily as other type jigs in heavy cover. Another application I use for them is flipping docks. Early spring I like a real light jig and heavier line to flip dock poles. It falls very slow and I catch alot of fish this way.

I use to not have any faith at all in jigs either however I forced my self to tie one on and fish with it for several weeks. I learned a great deal about using them and while they are still not my favorite lure to fish ( i power fish mostly) I know I can pick one up now and catch fish with it. I am now to the point I pour and tie my own bass jigs so I can get the colors I want. Plus its way cheaper for me. I use Trokar jigs hooks and it cost me about 1$ per jig after pour paint and skirt.

This year I am working more on my finesse type fishing and learning to downsize and slow way down

TNBronzeback
02-14-2014, 08:52 AM
I know this will sound crazy to most bass fisherman but I don't fish a jig, I own some but don't fish them. I would rather throw a D bomb Texas rigged than a jig, no faith in them at all.

Not to go off topic, but i have the same mentaility with spinnerbaits. i DESPISE them. For some weird reason, i cannot cast them. instead of shooting out like a rocket on a cast, they just flip end over end going about 30 ft out yet 100 yards of backlash in the real. ive tried different rods, different reels with the same result, so i dont even bother owning one.
much like your jig situation, there are many other things i have alot more confidence in.

blink
02-14-2014, 09:17 AM
I made myself learn to fish a jig a few years ago. I think i caught more fish on the jig last year than all other techniques combined.

My favorite jig is the SK Bitsy Flip. I usually fish the 1/4 oz but you can get it up to 1/2 oz and its still a small profile jig.
This jig for me hangs up less than any other jig i have ever used. The head is kinda crossed between a flipping jig and a round finesse head.
And they are comparatively cheap. $1.89 from TW.

I pair them with a netbait paca chunk.

This year i plan to learn to flip and pitch to improve my jig fishing.

XxthejuicexX
02-14-2014, 09:22 AM
Not to go off topic, but i have the same mentaility with spinnerbaits. i DESPISE them. For some weird reason, i cannot cast them. instead of shooting out like a rocket on a cast, they just flip end over end going about 30 ft out yet 100 yards of backlash in the real. ive tried different rods, different reels with the same result, so i dont even bother owning one.
much like your jig situation, there are many other things i have alot more confidence in.

You will see a spinnerbait tied on at all times for me. I did not throw one very much until 2 years ago when I was fishing Guntersville and my partner was throwing a 3/4 ounce and letting it crawl over the grass beds and was killing it. That day at lunch I picked up two at water front and never looked back. I am going to try and throw a football head jig this summer deep for bass, I usually throw a big worm.

SAMBOLIE
02-14-2014, 09:37 AM
You will see a spinnerbait tied on at all times for me. I did not throw one very much until 2 years ago when I was fishing Guntersville and my partner was throwing a 3/4 ounce and letting it crawl over the grass beds and was killing it. That day at lunch I picked up two at water front and never looked back. I am going to try and throw a football head jig this summer deep for bass, I usually throw a big worm.

Different baits for different structure. I would not expect a jig to produce as good as a spinner where fish are awaiting in the grass for something swimming by.
Try flipping that spinner in brush piles.

Reel Tune
02-14-2014, 09:43 AM
Yeah, I never fished jigs. I have a bunch, but no confidence in them. I finally started throwing one last year and did catch a few fish, but BORING. I like cranking, spinnerbaits, and jerkbaits.

nomad60
02-14-2014, 09:46 AM

I'm starting to despise spinnerbaits. When I was in Korea, all I really used and caught bass on were Senkos and spinnerbaits but ever since I got here, I have yet to catch a fish, period, on a spinnerbait :confused:.
I used to despise jigs too because I never caught any fish on them but I forced myself to go out with nothing but a jig for several outings. The 1/4 oz. bitsy bug jig is one of my go-to lures now...caught my PB bass on one of those.

XxthejuicexX
02-14-2014, 09:51 AM
Different baits for different structure. I would not expect a jig to produce as good as a spinner where fish are awaiting in the grass for something swimming by.
Try flipping that spinner in brush piles.

You would be amazed at what flipping a D bomb in grass will do for you. Look for the holes and flip the edges. We started throwing jerkbaits over the grass last spring and that was amazing, more fun than the spinnerbait bite. We are heading down for 5 days at the end of April this year plus I am going down the first weekend of March to try and catch a Pre spawn slaunch.

TNBronzeback
02-14-2014, 10:01 AM
i love jig fishing. i can do my power fishing with cranks and jerkbaits, but my love is with jigs. i throw the SK Bitsy Bug 99% of the time. its all in how you work it. a jig doesnt always have to be worked slow and bounced along bottom. i use mine as a swimbait too. take off the craw trailer, put on a zoom 4" twister, toss it out and swim it back. i like doing this with a jig over a crankbait cause when you stop a jig, its gonna sink, where as a crankbait is obviously gonna float up. swiim it a few feet then let it drop to bottom, swim it a few more feet and let it drop, pop it off bottom a few times, then start swimming it again. and now with the "swimming jigs" that come in shad type colors, you can match more of a baitfish presentation and not just a craw anymore.
To me, in regards to bass fishing, nothing compares to bouncing a jig along, letting it fall and seeing the tell tale "tick-tick" on the line, then see it swimming away.....crank down and rip with everything you got! FISH ON!!!

TroutFiend
02-14-2014, 01:22 PM
CreekCrappie, those to jigs in your pics can be deadly on Dale Hollow on a moonlite summer night. Cast toward rocky banks and hop/drag the bottom back to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Travis C.
02-14-2014, 01:38 PM
I catch a ton on jigs.

Swimming a bluegill skirt jig around bluegill spawn and at night in summer is nasty good. Swimming a sexy shad skirt around docks post shad spawn is just as good.

For normal jig fishing i go brown/orange jig green pumkin trailer for old hick and black/blue every where else i fish.

Another great way to fish them is stroking on the ledges in summer or burning them cranking up ledges maintaining bottom contact.

Pinwheeled
02-14-2014, 07:21 PM

That's funny because I'm almost exactly the opposite. I NEVER go bass fishing without a jig and pig tied on of some sort. I haven't thrown a Beaver or D-Bomb in probably 2 years and I used to throw Beavers pretty religiously, especially in tournaments.