PDA

View Full Version : New baitcaster reel

TNtransplant08
02-11-2014, 09:56 AM
Ok guys, I'm in the market for a new reel. My Shimano Citica seems to have broken down. The spool won't turn and I can't really seem to figure out why, even when I tighten or loosen the tension knob and drag. I was never really attached to it anyways and didn't find it comfortable. I fell in love with my Abu Garcia Revo STX (6.4 ratio) that I bought 2 years ago and pretty much just used that. However, I think its time I invest in getting another reel with a different gear ratio. But I can't decide which way I want to go, higher or lower. Wanted your opinion on that if you had to choose between one of the two, since I only have the budget for one. I know different gears have its uses.

I'm really leaning towards getting the Lew's BB1 and they come in 5.1, 6.4, and 7.1 ratios. I was reading up on it and it seems to have a lot of positive reviews. Currently most of my fishing is either dragging jigs or fishing topwaters, such as spooks. With a 5.1, I could get into cranking, which is something I've never really felt comfortable with and feel lost with. But I know I'm missing out on a lot of fish by not cranking. On the other hand, would the 7.1 be better than the 6.4 for topwater? I use a spook 95% of the time when fishing topwater and seems fine with the 6.4. If I'm using a popper or a buzzbait, I tend to use my spinning gear.

Arg....I can't decide. So help sway me:cool:

SAMBOLIE
02-11-2014, 10:28 AM
Opinions will vary all over on reels. I have used the expensive name brands, yet my last bait caster was the BP Pro Qualifier.
It is as smooth and casts as far as any I have paid a premium for.
I always maintain my equipment with lube and oil and have been fortunate to not have any failures even on 30 year old reels.

XxthejuicexX
02-11-2014, 10:46 AM
I fish Primarily Abu garcia. For the price the black max and silver max have been great. I am going on my third season with 3 of them and they have not missed a beat. I broke down all my reels this winter to clean them and was amazed that they were still working with the amount of Guntersville grass in them. They are all 6:4 ratios but work well for topwater or spinner/buzz baits. I have a daiwa that is a 4:9 ratio for my DEEP cranking, that thing is a hoss. I also picked up a Pinnacle that is a 7:1 and I think it's the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned. I am going to order another black max in a couple weeks.

blink
02-11-2014, 11:09 AM
i am with Sambolie about the BPS Pro Qualifiers. I have 3, and plan to buy a couple more this year. They are often on sale for $79.99 and if you buy during the reel trade in you can get another $10 off.

To me they perform better than the Lews reels i have used.
810 reviews on BPS website with an overall rating of 4.7 of 5 speaks for itself.

I use the 7.1:1 for topwater.
I use the 6.4:1 for most everything else and i plan to pick up a 5.4:1.

SAMBOLIE
02-11-2014, 11:31 AM
i am with Sambolie about the BPS Pro Qualifiers. I have 3, and plan to buy a couple more this year. They are often on sale for $79.99 and if you buy during the reel trade in you can get another $10 off.

To me they perform better than the Lews reels i have used.
810 reviews on BPS website with an overall rating of 4.7 of 5 speaks for itself.

I use the 7.1:1 for topwater.
I use the 6.4:1 for most everything else and i plan to pick up a 5.4:1.

I have not used the new Lew's reels. I was never impressed with the older ones. Their spinning reels were among the worst ever IMO.

Reel Tune
02-11-2014, 11:46 AM
I've been using Curado's exclusively baitcasting for years 5+. I bought a G last year, and it was horrible, felt cheaply made, and not smooth like the E's were. The new Curado is coming out in a few weeks, and the Reps have said they addressed a lot of issues and complaints that were brought up with the G Series. I'll hold off on the purchase until I see some results.

I have buddies that have switched from Shimano, and Abu Garcia to Lews. They are happy with the switch. I'm wanting to try the Tournament Pro Speed Spool, Super Duty Speed Spool, and BB-1 Pro Series Speed spool soon, just to try them out.

As for gear ratio I bought a 5.5:1 Curado 201 E5 a few year ago for cranking. It's a good reel, but the only time I'll use it is when I'm cranking 20"+ which is very rare, so it never gets used.

I have a few 7.1:1 and a few 6.5:1. The 6.5:1 are the most used reel for me. I can use them in every situation. The 7.1:1's only get use in fast rivers throwing spinnerbaits and retrieving with the current, or buzzbaits.

If you plan on pitching the Citica, please keep it and let me have it so I can tear it down. I would like to see what failed.

Andy M
02-11-2014, 01:49 PM
For the money Pro Qualifiers are the way to go. I own several but in the last couple years have switched to the Johnny Morris carbonlite, I fish lots of tournaments and the lesser weight is nice for those long days. In my opinion I would suggest getting the 7.1-1 reels first, the key is you can always slow down your retrieve but the reel can speed your retrieve when you make a less than perfect cast or as you get close to the boat which in turn over and 8 hour day gets you several more casts. As was mentioned earlier wait a few weeks the BPS Spring Classic will start soon and they will be on sale and you can trade in an old yard sale reel for a coupon for $10-25 off depending on what reel you buy.

TNtransplant08
02-11-2014, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the input guys! While my question was mainly on gear ratio, I do appreciate the opinions on brands as well, though I'm aware everyone has different opinions on brands.

I will definitely take the BPS Pro Qualifier into consideration, since three of you guys use it and enjoy it. A few years back, I had purchased a BPS Rick Clunn model and gave out after only a year and half of use. So I've been wary of BPS reels since than. My only concern with this reel is durability. There were a few reviews where people complained that it wore out too quickly due to its plastic parts. But overall, the reviews have been nothing but positive. I'm sure keeping up with the maintenance of the reel will prolong its life, as Sambolie pointed out. I have always been afraid of taking apart my reel, giving them a good cleaning, and applying new grease and oil. But recently, after watching some youtube videos, I finally sat down and cleaned out all of my reels. I was amazed how dirty the inside of my Revo was. I was getting concerned because it was making a grinding noise. But after cleaning it, it sounds like new. The task of taking it apart and putting it back together wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

As far as gear ratio goes, the majority of you seem to mainly stick with the 6.4 for most techniques and only use other ratios for special circumstances. So I'm tempted to just get another 6.4, 6.5 reel after hearing your feedback. Through another thread a few years back, a few of the members mentioned that the lower gears help reduce fatigue when using cranks, but that doesn't seem to be much of an issue for you guys. I'm assuming the majority of cranking will be in water less than 20 feet deep?

Thanks again for your thoughts. Keep them coming if you have anything more you want to add!

TNtransplant08
02-11-2014, 02:31 PM
I've been using Curado's exclusively baitcasting for years 5+. I bought a G last year, and it was horrible, felt cheaply made, and not smooth like the E's were. The new Curado is coming out in a few weeks, and the Reps have said they addressed a lot of issues and complaints that were brought up with the G Series. I'll hold off on the purchase until I see some results.

I have buddies that have switched from Shimano, and Abu Garcia to Lews. They are happy with the switch. I'm wanting to try the Tournament Pro Speed Spool, Super Duty Speed Spool, and BB-1 Pro Series Speed spool soon, just to try them out.

As for gear ratio I bought a 5.5:1 Curado 201 E5 a few year ago for cranking. It's a good reel, but the only time I'll use it is when I'm cranking 20"+ which is very rare, so it never gets used.

I have a few 7.1:1 and a few 6.5:1. The 6.5:1 are the most used reel for me. I can use them in every situation. The 7.1:1's only get use in fast rivers throwing spinnerbaits and retrieving with the current, or buzzbaits.

If you plan on pitching the Citica, please keep it and let me have it so I can tear it down. I would like to see what failed.

Good to know that your friends enjoy their Lew's products. I hear that they really improved their reels the last 2-3 years. I was looking at the Lew's BB1 Pro Speed Spool myself with the dual braking system, but I felt that perhaps I could get the same result with my thumb control for $50 less. But I could be wrong.

I have a friend who used to fish and he was really high on the Curados but I've heard that the quality just isn't what it used to be. So I've pretty much dismissed them, though I'd be curious to see what people have to say about this year's model myself.

The Citica is yours. I'm sure the problem is probably a simple fix, but I hardly used it anymore anyways. It worked fine, but after using my Revo, the profile is just more bulky for my taste and less comfortable when I switched back and forth between the two. Let me know how I can get this to you.

Reel Tune
02-11-2014, 02:44 PM
If you like the Revo frame better than the Citica then you may like the Lews.

After reading reviews over the last 3 months, it seems like the Lews frame is based off the Revo.

I wasn't too keen on the dual braking system "more to possibly go wrong", but after reading into it a lot of people really like it.

I work in Grassmere Park (Harding/Trousdale) most Monday-Friday's 7am-3pm. I can meet after work sometime if that would work for you, or before work.

Jeremy

TNtransplant08
02-11-2014, 02:58 PM
If you like the Revo frame better than the Citica then you may like the Lews.

After reading reviews over the last 3 months, it seems like the Lews frame is based off the Revo.

I wasn't too keen on the dual braking system "more to possibly go wrong", but after reading into it a lot of people really like it.

I work in Grassmere Park (Harding/Trousdale) most Monday-Friday's 7am-3pm. I can meet after work sometime if that would work for you, or before work.

Jeremy

Sounds like you work really close to my office. My office is in the Ellington Agriculture Center. However, I work out in the field every day and usually don't get back to the office until 4:30-5:00. I usually have off on Fridays, so I can probably swing by than sometime or before work. I start my days at 7am as well. Shoot me a pm and we can work something out.

creekcrappie
02-12-2014, 01:50 PM
I have 2 silver maxes, 1 academy brand reel, and one bill dance reel. My favorite is the academy brand. For some reason it just casts longer but is $30 cheaper than a silver max.

creekcrappie
02-12-2014, 01:52 PM
I also picked up a Pinnacle that is a 7:1 and I think it's the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned.

x2 the pinnacle 7:1 is horrible.

Alphahawk
02-12-2014, 02:50 PM
Here's a good one....LOL

Regards

http://www.cloudninetackle.jp/product/179

XxthejuicexX
02-12-2014, 04:35 PM
How much is that in Merican dollars?

agelesssone
02-12-2014, 04:36 PM
$382.72....yikes!

Alphahawk
02-12-2014, 05:37 PM
$382.72....yikes!

Yep....and you notice they are out of stock. I was shocked in my research to find out just how many in the USA buy Japanese made reels.

Regards

Down4ttown
02-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Curado G series is about to be marked down to under 100. I know a guy in WA who runs a store that can get you a Tatula for 120 to your door. I have shimanos and lews and both are great but the tatula is the best for the money. Now there are rumors that the e series chronarch may be marked down.... Buy as many as you can!

Down4ttown
02-12-2014, 09:43 PM
Here's a good one....LOL

Regards

Now this is my style.

Hammy
02-12-2014, 10:20 PM
???
H20 XPRESS® Mettle MT2 Baitcast Reel Right-handed

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/h20-xpress-mettle-mt2-baitcast-reel-right-handed/pid-903505

Hammy

Reel Tune
02-13-2014, 08:49 AM
Here's a good one....LOL

Regards

I had a chance to buy one of the Pixyzilla's two years ago. It was Custom painted by Cal, supertuned and polished. He brought it to me and offered to sell it to me 1st, but I didn't feel I had the available cash at that time. It had cork knobs, the paint job was pearl, cast control knob, and other hardware was ionized purple.

olddognewtrick
02-13-2014, 09:12 AM
Excellent information here.

To boil it all down and get the salt ;) , if you guys were going to a big reservoir tournament, a mountain stream/river, and then going out to your favorite pond, and could only use one rod and reel combo... which would it be?

XxthejuicexX
02-13-2014, 09:44 AM
Spinning set up- Pflueger patriarch spinning reel on my Carrot stix black rod
Casting set up - Abu Garcia black max with a Abu Garcia veritas.

I own those two set ups. If I could build one without worrying about cost I could do better.

SAMBOLIE
02-13-2014, 10:52 AM
I had a chance to buy one of the Pixyzilla's two years ago. It was Custom painted by Cal, supertuned and polished. He brought it to me and offered to sell it to me 1st, but I didn't feel I had the available cash at that time. It had cork knobs, the paint job was pearl, cast control knob, and other hardware was ionized purple.

Was he wearing a purple hat, fur coat, and stacks shoes?

Just saying a pimped reel deserves an appropriate owner.:)

Reel Tune
02-13-2014, 11:23 AM
Unfortunately not SAMBOLIE

The thing is I thought I had nice gear until I joined a few other forums and some of those guys are paying $500+ for a reel (JDM), then shipping it off having it Super Tuned, then sending it off for a custom paint job, and after market bling put on them. I've seen some of these used reels going for $700+, who know how much they have in them I would say $900+.

olddognewtrick
02-13-2014, 12:48 PM
Spinning set up- Pflueger patriarch spinning reel on my Carrot stix black rod
Casting set up - Abu Garcia black max with a Abu Garcia veritas.

I own those two set ups. If I could build one without worrying about cost I could do better.

Cost is a concern for me, as well, since I don't earn a living from fishing.
Those are in my price range.

Reel Tune
02-13-2014, 01:10 PM
Excellent information here.

To boil it all down and get the salt ;) , if you guys were going to a big reservoir tournament, a mountain stream/river, and then going out to your favorite pond, and could only use one rod and reel combo... which would it be?

Shimano Curado 201 E7 spooled with 30# Power Pro on a 7'6" All Pro Med/Hvy Blaster (would be to big for a stream though?

Shimano Stradic CI4 1000 or 2500 series spooled with either 6 or 8lb flouro on an All Pro 7'3" Smallmouth Guru medium action

I have a Stradic CI4 1000 series on a Shimano Cumara 7'1" Med Light with 6lb test and it's awesome.

Down4ttown
02-14-2014, 09:28 PM

The chronarch e series will be marked down to 99 very soon. Best money will spend.

Reel Tune
02-18-2014, 12:50 AM
The chronarch e series will be marked down to 99 very soon. Best money will spend.

The Chronarch E series are the closest to the Curado E Series that are still readily available. If they go on sale for $99, I'll probably get a few of them.

Down4ttown
02-18-2014, 06:10 PM
The Chronarch E series are the closest to the Curado E Series that are still readily available. If they go on sale for $99, I'll probably get a few of them.

You and me both brother. That reel is easily one of the best I have used for the money.

TNtransplant08
02-28-2014, 11:23 AM
Well the Pro Qualifier is on sale at BPS for $79. So I decided to pull the trigger and give them a try. I bought two, a 5.2 and 7.1. So now I have pretty much all the gears I need. If I end up not liking them, I can always take them back!

SAMBOLIE
02-28-2014, 01:06 PM
Well the Pro Qualifier is on sale at BPS for $79. So I decided to pull the trigger and give them a try. I bought two, a 5.2 and 7.1. So now I have pretty much all the gears I need. If I end up not liking them, I can always take them back!

I'm betting you do not return them.

olddognewtrick
02-28-2014, 02:35 PM

I haven't been able to find that sale. Is it in store only maybe?

TNtransplant08
02-28-2014, 03:09 PM
I haven't been able to find that sale. Is it in store only maybe?

I believe it is in store only. The fishing classic sale started today.

olddognewtrick
02-28-2014, 03:22 PM
I believe it is in store only. The fishing classic sale started today.

Ah yes. That must be it. Thanks :)

Buccaneer
03-01-2014, 11:24 PM
Take two old crappy reels in for trade in certificates and get another $15 off the $79 Best value for the money on the face of the earth. Tear the Pro Qualifiers down and put Rocket Fuel oil on the bearings and good synthetic grease on the main gear and load it up with line. Best reel under $100 you could ever own.