PDA

View Full Version : Drop Shot

tennvols00
02-09-2014, 12:43 AM
Looking for some advice on using a drop shot for bass. I have never used this technique but read about it and see people using it in a variety of situations. Any advice on tackle and situations where you have had success?

TNBronzeback
02-09-2014, 02:03 AM
ive used it some. i have had my best success with it during the extreme heat of summer and the coldest part of winter. Im more of a jig fisherman, so maybe somebody else will chime in here but i like spinning tackle. i use a 7ft medium action with 8lb test. usually a 1/4oz sinker. i dont buy any special drop shot sinkers, i use either removable split shot, or a jig head with either the hook snipped off, or i just put another bait on it and work double baits. Also, since i dont use it too often, i use what i call the "cheater hooks" i think its Owner that makes them. they are the hooks with the swivel running thru the eye to aid in keeping the bait in the right position. the downside ive found to those hooks is they can make the bait spin which in my opinion doesnt look natural and could be a turn off, if i see it spinning as i drop it down, i will snap off a piece of tooth pick in the eye to keep it in one place. and if your fishing gin clear water, the hook/swivel combo might appear a tad bulky to the fish, but if your fishing water with any sort of color to it, they should work fine (im also kinda lazy and dont want to take the time to tie the proper knot for this method). The dropper length varies from situation to situation depending on bait depth or cover your fishing, could be 12-14" or it could be several feet. in regards to working the set-up, i always go straight vertical and the action i impart is pretty much a shiver or a twitch, im not looking to hop it along, i want it to just wave in front of thier face. some guys pitch it out away from the boat and work it back. i guess thats a matter of preference and what you feel comfortable doing. as far as baits go, i usually go with a natural minnow style plastic, but something very very soft so it has crazy good action with minimal movement. its usually in the 4" range is what i use, but again, i attack the drop-shotting method as a finesse/fish are being picky method which always turns me to downsizing and slowing down.
we used drop shotting up north on St. Clare on big smallies on thier beds. that gets your heart pounding watching 6lb smallie swim circles around your bait, getting more ticked off with every twitch!
But anyways, thats how i use the drop-shot method.