PDA

View Full Version : Planer board fishing

FloatNFish
02-08-2014, 01:08 PM
I am interested in doing some more trolling this year specifically with planer boards. Does anyone have any words of wisdom on brand, type, etc? Types to avoid? Also has anyone ever tried a mast system like in the attached picture or is this irrelevant for river fishing? Thanks!

-Alex

tkwalker
02-08-2014, 01:45 PM
Alex, I can only speak for one brand of Boards .... That is the OFF SHORE TACKLE Planer board ... I also know that Dallas and McClintock used these boards at one time.

Also, Bruce DeShano (owner of Off Shore Tackle) and his son stayed a week at my cabin and we fished His new SST board while it was under research and development in 2001...

Like I said There may be other great boards out there I have just never used them. I had no need to ... These (Off Shore) have always done the job and the clips and other components are rugged ... And replacement parts are readily available ...

The Mast system you mentioned would not be conducive in a River environment ... To many snags and hang ups with inconsistent depths ... The Mast system was designed for the Great lakes and Blue water fishing ... Yes okay for Dale Hollow or The Hill (walleyes)... Hope this helps ... <'TK>< :)

SalmonDaze
02-08-2014, 04:50 PM
I've run 'em all for years and years on the Great Lakes.

TK is right on regarding their use on our rivers. I'd go with varying length rods and well-positioned rod holders.

For the lakes (above the dams), you're safe with in-line boards. Bigger fish (stripers) definitely go with Church's orange walleye boards. We've always used the smaller yellow off-shore or "yellow bird" in-lines for coho salmon and browns on Lake Superior.

Make sure you get rid of the standard clips and replace with the adjustable clip (Church part # WX2-211538).

You're likely familiar with the mast set-up the east coast guys use for Stripers. This is a killer rig. I've put mine together with hundreds of yards of line, shower rings for clips, and rubber bands. HOWEVER, you really need a LOT of area to roam; otherwise, the frustration of other fishermen will wear you out.

My personal preference is actually against boards overall. I much prefer multiple downriggers; even if I'm just trying to get 8 feet down; you can't beat 12 pounds of lead. :)

FloatNFish
02-08-2014, 08:21 PM
The Mast system you mentioned would not be conducive in a River environment ... To many snags and hang ups with inconsistent depths ... <'TK>< :)

TK is right on regarding their use on our rivers.

You're likely familiar with the mast set-up the east coast guys use for Stripers. This is a killer rig...HOWEVER, you really need a LOT of area to roam; otherwise, the frustration of other fishermen will wear you out.

My personal preference is actually against boards overall. I much prefer multiple downriggers; even if I'm just trying to get 8 feet down; you can't beat 12 pounds of lead. :)

Thanks Guys! This is kind of what I figured about a single board vs in line but I thought it was a cool concept.

I've never fished with either planers or down riggers but I'm very interested in what both bring to the table. For some reason I'm having premonitions of me with a lot of tangled lines somewhere down the road...

I'm going to be putting together some more tackle soon to troll with. Been looking at the ugly stik striper rods. Anyone have any experience with these?

Any other words of wisdom to get me on the right track?

-Alex

fishfindergeneral
02-09-2014, 10:25 AM
I agree with TK on the Off Shore Brand in line boards. They stand up to giant deep diving Muskie bates on white cap windy days(20 to 30 mph). How ever, the mast systems don't work well in a lot of reservoir situations. For instance, tight turns in creeks and contour trolling. Plus when a line leaves the inline boards, it's at the water surface so you're getting a true line count depth. Another down side to the mast system is when you get a release, there is a good amount of slack in the line that must be gathered before you come in contact with the fish which results in a poor hook set and plenty of time for the fish to get off the line. My guess is that you will only land about 50% of the fish that you come in contact with. Plus there is a lot of line out of the water which means you don't get a true line count depth.
I also agree with the multiple downriggers, I personally use 4 on my boat but that being said I love my boards and use 4 to 6 at all times. Some days it's all riggers and other days the boards pull their weight. Some days you get fish from both..

tacklemake
02-09-2014, 01:02 PM
I would think twice about planer boards because it only takes one boat to not see the board and run inside and all hell will happen. When I lived in Maryland the boats ran the boards out 150 feet on each side of the boat and on opening day you could hear them yelling at someone for running in to their lines. If you wanted to use downriggers without the cost we made a poor mans downrigger called a dummy line because any dummy could use them. The only thing is it's no fishing rod just hand over hand to bring in the fish.................woody

aero320
02-09-2014, 02:32 PM
I have the mast and planer board setup. I think my mast came from Bert's Tackle. The planer boards are Riviera. I use the setup in late summer at Tim's Ford trolling for hybrids. Normally run six rods and two down riggers. Troll jigs at about 20 feet. On the Side planer rods, I use 1/2 oz. jig, let 50 feet of line out, attach a 3 oz. Snap Weight, then let our another 75 feet, then attach to a release and feed it down the line. The idea is go get the jigs at the correct depth. The rods that are furthest from the boat catch the most fish consistently. You have to work out a "rotation" system so that when one trips, you let the next closest line slip down the planer line.

I have not had any trouble with other boaters while using this method. It is very visible. Also, tried it at Woods for crappie.

Hybrids and stripers will wear you out if you are alone. This is a great method if you have a couple of friends with you, otherwise you get real tired. We have hooked up as many as five fish at one time. Also, you can't stop the boat or the lines will hang up.

Will look for some pictures of the setup and post.

bd-
02-10-2014, 11:49 AM
I'm sure there are some lakes (Dale Hollow for example) where downriggers are more suitable than planer boards. But for stripers on the systems I've fished, downriggers are just not feasible. The fish frequently hold tight on rockpiles and other cover that breaks current very near the bank - almost like bass. You need the planer to get in tight on the cover while your boat is in the channel - a few feet off the cover can make the difference between success and a day without a hit.

The fish aren't necessarily very deep, and if you run right over their heads with a downrigger set to 8 to 10 feet, you're just going to scatter the fish you're trying to catch.

FloatNFish
02-13-2014, 06:05 PM
Thanks everyone for getting me pointed in the right direction! I'm gonna start with two inline planers per side and some snap weights and see what kind of trouble that can get me into...

-Alex

tkwalker
02-14-2014, 12:37 AM
Thanks everyone for getting me pointed in the right direction! I'm gonna start with two inline planers per side and some snap weights and see what kind of trouble that can get me into...

-Alex

If you are going to fish the upper Cumberland river ... Only use boards on the port side (bank side) That is where your ambush points are ... Also you have navigation buoy's to deal with ... with a gen current etc ... You can't handle a starboard side ... Fish downstream with the current and use your elect. trolling motor to stay ahead of the current ... enough to keep pressure on the boards for control ... Good luck .... PS ... !! You have been reading to much BS articles ... for a river environment forget about the snap weights .... ... <'TK>< :)

tkwalker
02-14-2014, 12:44 AM
I would think twice about planer boards because it only takes one boat to not see the board and run inside and all hell will happen. When I lived in Maryland the boats ran the boards out 150 feet on each side of the boat and on opening day you could hear them yelling at someone for running in to their lines. If you wanted to use downriggers without the cost we made a poor mans downrigger called a dummy line because any dummy could use them. The only thing is it's no fishing rod just hand over hand to bring in the fish.................woody

The river environment is a totally different ball game none of the above holds true here ... ... Planer boards for stripers in Tennessee is like crab pots in Maryland ... !! LOL !! <'TK>< :)

FloatNFish
02-14-2014, 02:02 AM
If you are going to fish the upper Cumberland river ... Only use boards on the port side (bank side) That is where your ambush points are ... Also you have navigation buoy's to deal with ... with a gen current etc ... You can't handle a starboard side ... Fish downstream with the current and use your elect. trolling motor to stay ahead of the current ... enough to keep pressure on the boards for control ... Good luck .... PS ... !! You have been reading to much BS articles ... for a river environment forget about the snap weights .... ... <'TK>< :)

Thanks TK! Planning to use snap weights on the lakes to get some baits down a bit.

-Alex

Catch & Release
02-14-2014, 05:07 AM
you specifically say to fish port side not starboard side, so all the fish are on the port side in the cumberland river?

Reel Tune
02-14-2014, 09:50 AM
My biggest Tennessee fish have come from a river using planer boards, and from a kayak. I feel comfortable pulling 2 boards, but no more than two.

TNBronzeback
02-14-2014, 10:22 AM
you specifically say to fish port side not starboard side, so all the fish are on the port side in the cumberland river?

i dont wanna speak for somebody with TK's knowledge, but the idea behind fishing the bank, is there are features that create ambush points. Downed trees, logs, rocks, ect that they hide in and around to ambush prey, so the closer you can get your bait to those holding area's, the more it increases your chances at a hook-up.

Reel Tune
02-14-2014, 10:29 AM
Not to answer for TK, but almost every striper I caught with planers were off a tree, pile of submerged rocks, or point.

I would plan my pass beforehand. I would put my bait in the water and get my boards running 10-15' out from any structure that I would encounter. The planers would allow you to stay off the bank and away from the fish so you wouldn't spook them while making the pass. I would watch the bank and keep the bait close to the bank and structure but not in it. Once your bait starts getting nervous you know a predator is close by so I would slow down a little. Sometimes you would see a wake from the predator coming in for the kill.

tkwalker
02-14-2014, 12:00 PM
i dont wanna speak for somebody with TK's knowledge, but the idea behind fishing the bank, is there are features that create ambush points. Downed trees, logs, rocks, ect that they hide in and around to ambush prey, so the closer you can get your bait to those holding area's, the more it increases your chances at a hook-up.

That is the point ... Structure ... Especially in a river environment where you have multiple bank slides with trees ... <'TK>< :)

tkwalker
02-14-2014, 08:28 PM
There seems to be some confusion about fishing with the current and keeping your boat off of the bank/structure... That is the whole reason for using the Planer boards ... The boat is out off the bank 50 to 75 feet or more ... You have two inline planers working the structure ...

The reason you don't run Starboard boards in the river is one ...You need to be near the structure and ambush points ... trees, wing walls that are 20 feet from the bank and you want to run your bait between the wing wall and the bank ... Also usually your troll coarse is in line with navigational buoys so with swift current you have to plant the port gunnel of the boat right next to the buoy ... let your port side rods arch over the buoy ... If you were running starboard boards you have a good chance for the Bait ... especially large Skippies, Gizzard shade or trout to swim across the buoy anchor line and tangle ... ... Reverse engines !!! And get multiple lines in ... Believe me folks until you know exactly where your structure is (and 50% of that changes every Spring) You are going to get hung up ...

Remember when you are guiding or until even novices get a handle on this ... Most people who hired you have never fished for trophy Stripers ...

So you are fishing a bank 1 or more Generators on and you have pretty swift current ... The reason you don't run starboard boards is if you get hung up The Guide has to start and reverse the big engine ... Start taking up line and try to talk the guide party person who is not hung to get his rig in ... So the Captain is reversing with swift current and trying to maneuver the boat ...Take up the hung line reel ... .maneuver past the hang up and try to get free ... And also try to keep the client from releasing the spool that is hung and bird nesting your reel spooled with 50# big game trilene.

Now Eddy currents and back eddies (always in outside bends of the river) ... A totally different ball game I've trolled places on a regular basis .. It was part of my daily fishing routine (70 miles round trip everyday) that the boat would go totally side ways and your bait would be water skiing across the top of the water because you had to power up with the trolling motor just to keep control (23 foot bay boat with 6 batteries on board ..4 dedicated to the trolling motor ) ... So you say why fish that section of river ... Because in this particular spot, as soon as you come off the Eddy there is a hump and rock shelf under a bluff ... That always produces ... So you have to fight the eddies to get to the honey hole ...

Now what I have just told you are just some of the reasons ... But remember I fished primarily the Upper Cumberland where the river is swift and narrow ...

Now if I was on the upper side of the Cordell Hull Dam In some of the large creeks ... I would fish 7 lines ... 6 boards and one free line ...

This is just the tip of the iceberg on fishing for these beautiful fish ... Trial and error ... Hope this helps .... <'TK>< :)

bd-
02-16-2014, 03:11 PM
I think he was being funny and asking why all the fish were on the left side of the river.

Obviously, you could fish the other river bank and run starboard side planers and nothing on the port side, depending on where you are. The point is, if you have planers on one side skimming along the bank structure and planers on the other side out in the channel, you're going to have too many lines to keep track of, and only rare fish are going to hit the channel side baits.

bd

Catch & Release
02-16-2014, 03:58 PM
I think he was being funny and asking why all the fish were on the left side of the river.

Obviously, you could fish the other river bank and run starboard side planers and nothing on the port side, depending on where you are. The point is, if you have planers on one side skimming along the bank structure and planers on the other side out in the channel, you're going to have too many lines to keep track of, and only rare fish are going to hit the channel side baits.

bd
Finally lol, I thought I was going to have to throw all my starboard boards away....