PDA

View Full Version : Hi Guys

Slacker
02-04-2014, 07:37 PM
I'm new on the board and just wanted to say hi.

The wife and I moved to Bowling Green, KY from NJ last August. Wife retired, I work part-time.

Sold my boat (saltwater rig) when I moved and am now fishing solely out of my kayak (Tarpon 120... planning an upgrade to a tad bigger in 2014 or 2015). Considered another boat, but now that I am out from under the marina fees, the ramp fees, the smoked bearings, the $20 a gallon oil, the water pumps, the bent props, the batteries, the electrical "bugs", the gel-coat chips, insurance, towing coverage, etc., I can't see myself going back.

Was mostly a saltwater guy for 25 or so years, so have been doing a lot of reading up on freshwater and managed to catch a few bass here and there in the Fall while just starting to learn the local water... and by "learn" it, I mean how to get there from my house ;) . The learning curve is steep and I'm still on the bottom but hope to do some climbin' this spring and summer.

Seems like a good board here. Have enjoyed seeing that some of you are out catching fish despite the weather.

I don't plan to post much but will contribute when/where I can.

XxthejuicexX
02-04-2014, 07:41 PM
Welcome Sir, Kentucky lake is a great fishery. I am not sure where you are compared to it but I would give it a try there.

Alphahawk
02-04-2014, 07:48 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

txnative
02-04-2014, 07:55 PM
Always nice to see a fellow yakker...welcome and feel free to ask any questions (even the "dumb" ones) and to share what you can/want. This is a great forum full of people willing to help and learn.

Chris Bryant

creekcrappie
02-04-2014, 07:57 PM
Welcome. You will learn a lot on here.

Travis C.
02-04-2014, 09:17 PM
Welcome to the forum.

What all did you target in the salt? Or it may be easier to say what you enjoyed targeting since there are so many fish.

agelesssone
02-04-2014, 09:25 PM
You can learn a lot of good stuff from a lot of good people here.....except from SAMBOLIE.

If he chimes in with advice, just send him a smiley face :D, pat him on the head and ignore anything he has to say about anything or anybody. Especially if he says anything bad about me. He's just a jealous, broken down shell of a used to be man. He's so envious of my talents and good looks that he breaks down in tears at the mere mention of my name.

OH, and welcome to the board. If you get the urge for some crappie fishing this spring, I'm right on your way down to J Percy Priest lake. You can jump in my boat and we'll punch some holes in the water.

I might even feel sorry for SAMBOLIE and take him too!

Slacker
02-04-2014, 09:46 PM
Welcome to the forum.

What all did you target in the salt? Or it may be easier to say what you enjoyed targeting since there are so many fish.

Thanks.

Stripers, bluefish, weakfish, fluke (summer flounder) and tautog (blackfish). Occasionally chased false albacore and cod. All inshore stuff... mostly with artificials (except for the tautog... that is a bait only deal). Did a fair amount of surf-fishing to go with the boat and kayak.

Slacker
02-04-2014, 09:48 PM
You can learn a lot of good stuff from a lot of good people here.....except from SAMBOLIE.

If he chimes in with advice, just send him a smiley face :D, pat him on the head and ignore anything he has to say about anything or anybody. Especially if he says anything bad about me. He's just a jealous, broken down shell of a used to be man. He's so envious of my talents and good looks that he breaks down in tears at the mere mention of my name.

OH, and welcome to the board. If you get the urge for some crappie fishing this spring, I'm right on your way down to J Percy Priest lake. You can jump in my boat and we'll punch some holes in the water.

I might even feel sorry for SAMBOLIE and take him too!

Thanks.

If you need ballast on the boat sometime, give me a shout. I'd be happy to go. I know less than nothing about crappie fishing.

SAMBOLIE
02-05-2014, 05:58 AM
Welcome to the forum, and to the south.

As txnative said, "feel free to ask dumb questions" so that agelessone can participate in the conversations.

Rover1966
02-05-2014, 09:04 AM
Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nomad60
02-05-2014, 03:00 PM
Welcomme to the forum

SAMBOLIE & agelessone,

Your back and forth banter makes my day. Priceless.

Transplanted Sportsman
02-05-2014, 03:23 PM
Welcome to the forum!, a lot of good folks here with great advice!!

Halli
02-05-2014, 06:38 PM
Welcome to Tuckeessee area!

Barren River lake has a lot of fishing during the warm season but strangely
they lower it to a small river during the winter.

It's an easy run to Old Hickory Lake from BG and takes about an 1 1/2 hour ride.

I am in BG every day selling Truck parts, the people there seem to be
nice enough.

See ya around.

Halli

Slacker
02-05-2014, 06:57 PM
Thanks guys.

Reel Tune
02-06-2014, 09:33 AM
Welcome Slacker. You have a lot of great rivers, creeks, and streams in your area. Buy yourself a Gazetteer do some studying, and take a drive sometime to check them out.

Also if you are into Tournaments or would like to meet up with a bunch of good guys the Bluegrass Yak Masters are the group to get with. Although you are welcome to come fishing down here in the Nashville area if you would like.

Slacker
02-06-2014, 10:11 AM
Welcome Slacker. You have a lot of great rivers, creeks, and streams in your area. Buy yourself a Gazetteer do some studying, and take a drive sometime to check them out.

Also if you are into Tournaments or would like to meet up with a bunch of good guys the Bluegrass Yak Masters are the group to get with. Although you are welcome to come fishing down here in the Nashville area if you would like.

Thanks. "Gazetteer" made me go find my dictionary. ;)

I have a book of lake charts for KY and have been hitting that - and GoogleEarth - pretty hard.

Saltwaterwalt
02-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Welcome to the site, lots of good fishing info can be picked up on here. I too, am a transplant, though not as far as you. I lived in Ky for 35+ years, but recently moved to Nashville area in 2011 after I retired.

I can tell you that Bowling Green has some good fishing. I fished Barren River Lake for several years for crappie, but for kayak fishing, I really liked the river itself (Barren). Several put in/take out points, which a good map will show you. Nolin Lake is another great lake, I'm thinking maybe an hour from you? Not sure, as I lived up near Ft Knox and made the commute from there.

Always good to talk to a fellow saltwater angler. I've done that too, all my life. I still make a few trips a year to Panama City for redfish and sea trout.

tacklemake
02-06-2014, 10:39 AM
Welcome to the forum where friends are like family here.............woody

olddognewtrick
02-06-2014, 11:11 AM
Welcome Slacker.

I live between you and Nashville (and a little west), right on the KY/TN border at I-24. Planning on hitting Kentucky and Barkley lakes a lot this year, plus some of the small rivers and streams in KY and TN, for smallmouth, largemouth and others.

If you are interested in joining me anytime, add these forums to your check list as I post my plans there more often. They have a lot of middle tn information as well. https://btnyakfishing.runboard.com/

As MidTN posted, Bluegrass Yak Masters have quite a few tournaments, mostly to the east of you, but maybe close enough. They are a little far for me to make usually.

TK/MidTN - if it's not cool to post a link to other forums, just remove it and let me know. :)

EDIT - Also, if you use facebook all of these groups have a page with useful information.

Slacker
02-06-2014, 11:23 AM
Welcome to the site, lots of good fishing info can be picked up on here. I too, am a transplant, though not as far as you. I lived in Ky for 35+ years, but recently moved to Nashville area in 2011 after I retired.

I can tell you that Bowling Green has some good fishing. I fished Barren River Lake for several years for crappie, but for kayak fishing, I really liked the river itself (Barren). Several put in/take out points, which a good map will show you. Nolin Lake is another great lake, I'm thinking maybe an hour from you? Not sure, as I lived up near Ft Knox and made the commute from there.

Always good to talk to a fellow saltwater angler. I've done that too, all my life. I still make a few trips a year to Panama City for redfish and sea trout.

Thanks. I'd like to pick your brain a little on Florida panhandle redfish sometime. I'll buy the coffee.

Slacker
02-06-2014, 11:26 AM
Welcome Slacker.

I live between you and Nashville (and a little west), right on the KY/TN border at I-24. Planning on hitting Kentucky and Barkley lakes a lot this year, plus some of the small rivers and streams in KY and TN, for smallmouth, largemouth and others.

If you are interested in joining me anytime, add these forums to your check list as I post my plans there more often. They have a lot of middle tn information as well. https://btnyakfishing.runboard.com/

As MidTN posted, Bluegrass Yak Masters have quite a few tournaments, mostly to the east of you, but maybe close enough. They are a little far for me to make usually.

TK/MidTN - if it's not cool to post a link to other forums, just remove it and let me know. :)

EDIT - Also, if you use facebook all of these groups have a page with useful information.

Thanks. I have looked at the Bluegrass Yakmasters. I might join, but as you noted a good portion of their events seem to be eastern KY based. I will check out the forum you mentioned.