PDA

View Full Version : Kayak question

Catch & Release
02-02-2014, 03:19 PM
I have a question for all you kayakers, do y'all have running lights on your kayaks? I know a lot of you are getting to the steam plant before daylight, crossing channel seems dangerous if you don't have lights.
Are kayaks and canoes required to have lights when on the water after dark when on the water, including the caney?

bfish
02-02-2014, 03:46 PM
Are kayaks and canoes required to have lights when on the water after dark when on the water, including the caney?

Depends on who you ask, and their interpretation of the rules.

Dakota
02-02-2014, 04:03 PM
I have a question for all you kayakers, do y'all have running lights on your kayaks? I know a lot of you are getting to the steam plant before daylight, crossing channel seems dangerous if you don't have lights.

Very good question I was wondering the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catch & Release
02-02-2014, 04:07 PM
Just found this on TWRA website:
Sailing Vessels & Vessels Under Oars

A sailing vessel, under sail alone, shall exhibit the lights shown on figure 4, 5 or 6. A vessel under oars or a sailing vessel of less than 7 meters (22 ft. 10 in.) shall, if practicable, exhibit the lights prescribed in figure 4, 5 or 6. However, if she does not, she must have ready at hand an electric light or lighted lantern showing a white light as seen in figure 7 which must be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collisions.
During daylight operation, vessels 12 meters (39 ft. 4 in.) and over using sail and machinery must display the shape of a black cone pointing down.

Lights Required While Anchored

An anchor light is an all-round white light, visible for 2 miles, which is exhibited in the forepart of the vessel or where it can best be seen.
Power driven and sailing vessels less than 7 meters (23 feet) must display an anchor light when anchored in or near a narrow channel, fairway or anchorage where other vessels normally navigate.

Power driven and sailing vessels 7-20 meters (23 to 65.6 feet) are required to show an anchor light except when in a special anchorage area designated by the Secretary of Transportation or other authority.

A sailing vessel under machinery power and sails is considered a power-driven vessel.

MNfisher
02-02-2014, 04:09 PM
I am pretty sure a 360 degree white light is the requirement.

bfish
02-02-2014, 05:09 PM
I am pretty sure a 360 degree white light is the requirement. Only for powered boats and sailboats are under anchor. There is no provision for non-powered vessel. Also when "under oar" there is the "if practicable" clause. Ambiguous at best.

Although safety is a concern, I do believe most that are crossing the channel in the dark are carrying torches and do try to cross in a group (when others are available).

Catch & Release
02-02-2014, 05:21 PM
Well I am not sure what the law is, but anyone in kayak, canoe or otherwise should have lights on after dark, I believe it is irresponsible not to do so. There are a lot of boats the run the channel after dark.
Thats just my opinion.....

MNfisher
02-02-2014, 07:55 PM
I always have my white light rigged, especially when paddling to my spot.

Reel Tune
02-02-2014, 10:06 PM
Yep, 1 single white light that is visible from 360 degrees. I'm not displaying a red and green light, that indicates you are under power and can give way.

tkwalker
02-03-2014, 01:48 AM
Yep, 1 single white light that is visible from 360 degrees. I'm not displaying a red and green light, that indicates you are under power and can give way.

USCG and TWRA has no provision for vessels that are powered manually ...

All of their laws is under a provision of mechanical motion ... combustion or electrical ... ... But be smart Illuminate your boat with at least one light ...

I have lost two friends do to non illuminated vessels at night while in Bass tourneys, be smart and safe ... ... in the 70's .. <'TK>< :)

Reel Tune
02-04-2014, 08:34 AM
Here is from the Tennessee Boating Course of the requirements at night on non motored watercraft and paddle craft. You can find the complete course manual at boat-ed.com
https://www.boat-ed.com/assets/pdf/handbook/tn_handbook_entire.pdf

I took this course over 20 years ago, but I will be taking it again as a refresher. Where I come from Hunter ED and Boater ED was a required course in 7th grade. We had two Conservation Officers come in the class for 2 hours a day for 6 weeks for each class and went over it in depth. It was a good educational experience the class was about 15 students so it was very in depth.

jad2t
02-04-2014, 08:40 AM
I have a DIY light that I made for about 13 dollars consisting of PVC pipe, an LED flashlight, zip ties, electrical tape, and a frosted top of a nightlight. If you're at the Micheal Ernst charity event on Feb 22nd I'll show you. It's super bright and I'd imagine it can be seen from a quarter mile away at least.

I guess we all realize now that it's not required but you'd be insane not to have one during dark hours. I use mine in the dark and still won't cross deeper water unless I've looked and know for sure there are no boats in the distance. Some people don't pay attention and some think they have the right of way.

Reel Tune
02-04-2014, 08:47 AM
Yeah, Jimmy I made one the same way four or more years ago, it works well. I still have it and loan it out when needed.

txnative
02-04-2014, 10:19 AM
Required or not, lights are a must for me. I also bought a comfortable PFD so that I have no excuse not to wear it...they only work if you are wearing them. I also have a sound-making device (USCG-approved whistle) attached to me and a small airhorn handy should I need it. If I go into waters patrolled by the USCG, I will have a 4-pack of flares within reach, and a spare change of clothes will be in a dry bag inside my kayak when I fish in winter. I live by a simple motto: "Better to have and not need than to need and not have" this also explains why I have 9 rigged rods on my kayak and more lures than I should ever need, lol.

Chris Bryant

Catch & Release
02-05-2014, 01:51 PM
Some people don't pay attention and some think they have the right of way.

If you cant see them doesn't matter who has right of way.

txnative
02-05-2014, 02:56 PM
If you cant see them doesn't matter who has right of way.

That is an excellent point. Well said.

Chris Bryant

olddognewtrick
02-05-2014, 07:04 PM
There are two sides to every coin.
I don't understand powered boats running down a river, or a big lake, at speed in the dark when it's hard to see anything. While it's probably rare to come across and run over a kayak without lights, or a person floating because they capsized something, I wouldn't think it worth the risk.

Lights, horns, whistles are just common sense on non-powered boats, even in the daylight. There are simply too many people who buy a powered boat and never learn how to correctly, or considerately, navigate and operate the boat. Those people are dangerous to everyone. It's as irresponsible as a kayak without lights in the dark or not wearing your pfd.

Fewer bad things happen to those who consider, and prepare, for others lack of preparation and care. That goes for powered, and non-powered, boaters.:)

XxthejuicexX
02-05-2014, 08:23 PM
[QUOTE=olddognewtrick;45605]There are two sides to every coin.
I don't understand powered boats running down a river, or a big lake, at speed in the dark when it's hard to see anything. While it's probably rare to come across and run over a kayak without lights, or a person floating because they capsized something, I wouldn't think it worth the risk.

When I fish at night I run full out. If you have a full moon on a clear night you can see clear across the lake. If it's not full I will use a spotlight to keep up with buoys but I don't run with the spotlight the entire time because it's easier to see at night once your night vision adjust with out the light.

agelesssone
02-05-2014, 09:41 PM
Fewer bad things happen to those who consider, and prepare, for others lack of preparation and care. That goes for powered, and non-powered, boaters.:)

I like this statement!

Catch & Release
02-06-2014, 09:48 AM
[QUOTE=When I fish at night I run full out. If you have a full moon on a clear night you can see clear across the lake. If it's not full I will use a spotlight to keep up with buoys but I don't run with the spotlight the entire time because it's easier to see at night once your night vision adjust with out the light.[/QUOTE]

I agree %100. There are times I fish 10, 15 even 20 miles from ramp.

ditz1
02-08-2014, 01:27 PM
As Brodrick Crawford always said at the end of his weekly TV program...."It is not who is right. It is who is left."

One should always do what is needed to keep one's self safe.