PDA

View Full Version : JPP/COE Fish Attractor Permit

TNBronzeback
01-31-2014, 09:11 AM
So i got my permit to place brush piles in JPP yesterday.
Has anybody else done this before?
There is a line on the permit that says: Using brush from Corps property is not permitted. Any vegetation must be brought i from an outside source.
Im guessing that the Corps "owns" so much land around the perimeter of the lake and nothing within that perimeter is to be used, is that correct?
No buzzing up on the bank and snatching some sticks correct?

Alphahawk
01-31-2014, 09:23 AM
That is correct...ask Alan Jackson about that one. However....if you fish Center Hill much you will notice folks have taken the bull by the horn so to speak. It is not an isolated incident to find trees cut down off of a bluff or some other shore line to create a fish attractor. Best to just follow the law.

Regards

SAMBOLIE
01-31-2014, 09:28 AM
I have never placed brush piles in the lake to use as attractors.

I have relocated a few as I tried to recover a snagged lure from them. :)

TNBronzeback
01-31-2014, 09:52 AM
Thanks Alpha, thats what i figured but having somebody else solidify that never hurts!

HA! Ive done the same thing Sambolie. The heartbreaker is when you finally get the limb to break free, and your cranking it up, it gets to the surface and just as the lure hits your finger tips, the line breaks and you slowly watch your $6 crankbait slowly sink back the bottom, never to be seen again! (brings a tear to my eye thinking about my last deep diving suspender)

XxthejuicexX
01-31-2014, 11:04 AM
Make sure you go ahead and post GPS coordinates for all the brush piles you put in the lake .:D

tkwalker
01-31-2014, 01:27 PM
I use to own property on Old Hickory Lake. The corps owns/controls all property 10 feet vertical of Normal water pool in regards of removing natural vegetation . In another words if your land is on a rock bluff they own 10 feet above the waterline of rock. If your land is a gentle slope to the water, say pasture land ... Stick a 10 foot pole at the waters edge (at normal pool) Take a string and attach it to the top of the pole start walking inland until the level string hits ground ... That's how much they control ... It may be 10 feet or up to 100 yds. or more . ..

Supposedly this is for bank erosion. Now this was back in the late 70's and the Corps. locked horns about some of my property but I don't things have changed ... <'TK>< :)

TNBronzeback
01-31-2014, 02:11 PM
Make sure you go ahead and post GPS coordinates for all the brush piles you put in the lake .:D

HA! i plan on dumping a lot of attractors in the next couple weeks. Ive just gotta maximize quantity yet minimize price to do so.
i intend on using a decoy style setup with the attractors. start shallow then work out deep, then back yup shallow in a "V" kinda shape.
that way im locked up for the same area spring, summer and fall.
Thats my intent, i may just get ticked off from high winds or something petty and kick them all over the side in 40 ft of water! LOL.

XxthejuicexX
01-31-2014, 03:18 PM
That sounds like a pretty cool idea that way they can move up when they are ready in the spring. My grandfather talks about putting brush piles in priest but I doubt he had any idea you needed a permit.

Fish Whisperer
01-31-2014, 04:27 PM
I was going to make some beds too but never got around to it... I have some thinset and bamboo if you're interested.. It's a start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNBronzeback
01-31-2014, 04:53 PM
That sounds like a pretty cool idea that way they can move up when they are ready in the spring. My grandfather talks about putting brush piles in priest but I doubt he had any idea you needed a permit.

Yeah thats my plan, as they scan the shore in the spring they will find some new homes to take up residence at, and as the water warms, they can follow my little brush pile bread crumb trail out to deeper water for a nice summer home.
makes sense to me, but they might have a different idea. My attractors might look like the ghetto to some snooty crappies and they may just pass em by! LOL

Yeah i dont remember where i seen ya need a permit so i looked into it more and called the office over by JPP dam and they confirmed it. they emailed me the form (simple form, name, what your gonna use and where) and the next day they sent me the confirmation permit. it was free so that worked out even better.

TNBronzeback
01-31-2014, 04:56 PM
I was going to make some beds too but never got around to it... I have some thinset and bamboo if you're interested.. It's a start.

Thanks Fish, but i have a stack of bamboo already and 4-80lb bags of 'crete myself. i just need to determine how im gonna make em. might just do the bucket method and jab a dozen or so bamboo shoots in it. im not too worried about them standing upright to create a tree effect. but i figure if i can make a good V pattern from shallow to deep i should be able to coral them right into the boat!

Fish Whisperer
01-31-2014, 05:18 PM
I was going to do the bucket method and try to get the deep ones to stand up. I saved a bunch of plastic coffee cans for smaller beds in shallow water. But deer hunting and a new four wheeler got in the way.

jaycee
01-31-2014, 05:21 PM
I put out over twenty 5 gallon buckets with bamboo this past fall on JPP. The Side imaging folks find them fast. People also watch where people fish
and go back the next day. What I am saying is there are no secrets on that lake. I will gladly trade coordinates with you. I fish during the week.
Live in the 'Boro.

One of the older renowned guides showed me where his brush was. He put his out in the upper end of coves all the way across in a straight line, basically the same concept as what you are planning. All have long since rotted. They were fun for a while.

I have experienced larger crappie in the lower end of the lake north of Hobson Bridge.

Good luck.

Fishbus
01-31-2014, 05:38 PM
TWRA is posting pics of cypress trees illegally cut down at Fall Creek access.

If you're on or reading this list, shame on you!

Billy

nomad60
01-31-2014, 07:39 PM
TWRA is posting pics of cypress trees illegally cut down at Fall Creek access.

If you're on or reading this list, shame on you!

Billy

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=621844534562052&set=a.278208908925618.64750.278192305593945&type=1&stream_ref=10