PDA

View Full Version : Gdp 1/29/14

agelesssone
01-30-2014, 06:00 AM
Had planned to go fishing this AM. Got out and it's 2 degrees. Thinking........

gboyce
01-30-2014, 06:43 AM
Was suppose to go with Agelessone but apparently forgot the Difference between AM/PM on alarm setting:mad:

jad2t
01-30-2014, 08:21 AM
2 degrees got your hands so frozen you typed GDP rather than GSP! 2 degrees though? Screw that. All of it. I made my cold weather kayak fishing venture in 17 and dark and that will never happen again.

Amid all these single digit mornings due to the "Polar Vortex" (Winter) I recently got the Cabelas flyfishing catalog to let me know that Spring is just around the corner...and also that I need to buy some big bass flies. Can't wait. This year I plan to do a lot of flyfishing while the fish are in the shallows.

jad2t
01-30-2014, 08:22 AM
Was suppose to go with Agelessone but apparently forgot the Difference between AM/PM on alarm setting:mad:

Don't worry, we've all done that!

CreekWalker
01-30-2014, 11:40 AM
I went there yesterday with a buddy - launched around 6:00 am and the temperature was 2. My starter rope coil was frozen. The ball in my fuel line was as hard as a fake boob. My trailer strap snapped which was nice.

The 55 degree water on my line would freeze before getting to my rod - where it would proceed to jam ice into my guides and even moreso in the eye of reel.

On a positive note I got to go to work around 10:30 with only the smell of skipjack on my hands to show for our efforts.

I'll be back the next chance I get.

jad2t
01-30-2014, 11:47 AM
the ball in my fuel line was as hard as a fake boob.

lol

StriperFun
01-30-2014, 01:48 PM
I have been fishing / lurking on this site for a while ... I haven't got a bite yet

If I was the guy(s) actually going out and putting in the effort/time/money, damn if I would post it for the rest of the world to show up, crowd my space, etc. there are plenty of ways to post helpful info without giving video, play-by-play specifics to every lazy, computer owner lurker, want a be fishin hero

From my POV there are 3 or 4 actually doing it and 1,344 talking about doing it, TK used to do it ... shut up and fish, what you learn each day on the water is yours to share with friends, family and kids... all anyone on the internet can do is talk about to others to make themselves look like the are experts

Fish Whisperer
01-30-2014, 03:17 PM
StriperFun, If only 3 or 4 are "actually doing it" and 1344 are only talking about doing it there shouldn't be a problem.. The lake should be wide open for you to catch fish then not tell anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XxthejuicexX
01-30-2014, 03:25 PM
I don't mind sharing my knowledge. If it were not for friends and family I would not know most of what I know now. I have been helped and also helped people on this site catch fish. If what little bit of knowledge I can share with people on this site helps them catch fish, good. I know how frustrating it is spending time on the water not knowing where to start or what to start with.

Jim
01-30-2014, 03:32 PM
I have been fishing / lurking on this site for a while ... I haven't got a bite yet

If I was the guy(s) actually going out and putting in the effort/time/money, damn if I would post it for the rest of the world to show up, crowd my space, etc. there are plenty of ways to post helpful info without giving video, play-by-play specifics to every lazy, computer owner lurker, want a be fishin hero

From my POV there are 3 or 4 actually doing it and 1,344 talking about doing it, TK used to do it ... shut up and fish, what you learn each day on the water is yours to share with friends, family and kids... all anyone on the internet can do is talk about to others to make themselves look like the are experts

No big deal with the Gallatin Steam Plant. It is a big community spot that everyone has known about for years. Nothing new about fishing it. Mostly it is about getting people to be courteous about how to fish in a crowd. But after a trip or two "most" people figure it out and have a good time fishing and talking to folks in boats right next to them.

With that said, we all have our tricks that don't show up here and can make a huge difference between catching a few fish and a boat load.

Jim

jad2t
01-30-2014, 04:32 PM
I don't mind sharing my knowledge. If it were not for friends and family I would not know most of what I know now. I have been helped and also helped people on this site catch fish. If what little bit of knowledge I can share with people on this site helps them catch fish, good. I know how frustrating it is spending time on the water not knowing where to start or what to start with.

With you on that 100%.

StriperFan - I don't know where you get 3 or 4 but there are quite a bit more than just 3 or 4 very dedicated and active fishermen on this forum. I'm one of them.

JeffsLowe
01-30-2014, 05:35 PM

ARe you kidding? I love this board. I have been looking for a place to dock my 28' houseboat and based on the info i found here will be pulling it up to the barrier at GSP for the rest of the winter.

txnative
01-30-2014, 06:13 PM

I'm one of your "3 or 4," my posts and the people who know or have talked to me will back it up. I post reports to encourage people to get out and fish, regardless of weather, time, sleep, etc. I post videos to show both what TN has to offer if you put in the time AND what I can, have, and am doing. Reading a report is good, but nothing gets me more pumped than to actually SEE what's possible if I get on the water.

As for self-promotion...100% guilty as charged. I take pride in the results I'm able to display. I've spent years honing my skills and doing whatever it takes to put them to practice. Ask anyone that has been with me at the GSP (most recent example) and they will confirm my "boasts." I don't think I've achieved "expert" status by any means, but I do know I can put fish in the boat, and help others succeed, too. I am not into being a "hero," but I do like that I've become someone others go to with questions. I was the one asking the same questions in the past...and I still ask questions now. The fact that I can repay the favor(s) by helping others is its' own reward.

I may not reveal all I've learned and WILL not reveal what info/spots/etc that has been given to me, but I will help those who ask. If this labels me as a braggart, wannabe-hero, or self-professed "expert," then I will gladly bear those "awful" crosses.

Chris Bryant

Travis C.
01-30-2014, 06:31 PM
i have been looking for a place to dock my 28' houseboat and based on the info i found here will be pulling it up to the barrier at gsp for the rest of the winter.

ha! :D

agelesssone
01-30-2014, 06:40 PM
ARe you kidding? I love this board. I have been looking for a place to dock my 28' houseboat and based on the info i found here will be pulling it up to the barrier at GSP for the rest of the winter.

Got an extra bunk on that houseboat? I'll pay room and board!

Transplanted Sportsman
01-30-2014, 06:41 PM
You are the man Chris!! loved the response!!, I'm still the groupie but I know if I put the time and continue to ask questions, document my trips and observations and listen to the advice given it will be just a matter of time before I can get proficient and may even develop my own way to catch fish and do it year round, thanks to all of you who have shared knowledge and advice in such unselfish way (and there are many on here) too many to mention!! :D

agelesssone
01-30-2014, 07:22 PM
Or you can do like me....use your boat as an icebreaker. Launched at Flipper's at 5:45, broke a path out to the river and back before I parked the truck.

Steering was frozen, felt like wrestling a linebacker trying to turn it. Out in the river, running about 15 MPH in the dark....my Phace saver mask iced up about a mile into the run so bad I had to lift it to see where I was going. What is the wind chill when it's 2 degrees with a 15 MPH wind?

Finally got to the channel, foggy as all get out, trolled up to the barrier and dropped the trolling motor over the barrier....and here comes another idiot up to the barrier! I thought for sure I was the only one dumb enough to fish on a morning like this.

Fished for skippies to get a couple of live lines out. Got that set up and started casting flukes, top water baits, spinnerbaits. Hooked up on a 16" LM on a spinnerbait.

Then the SHTF! Big stripers started blasting the surface 50 yds. in front of the boat, coming closer every second. Huge boils! The other guy, Jason, hooked up on a topwater bait, landed a 32 pounder, asked me to photograph him, (which I did). Both of my down rods started screeching. Grab the port rod and the fish dropped the bait. Put that rod back in the holder, grab the other rod. Fight the fish for thirty seconds, it get's off. *@#$*())*^%$#@

Jason, (the other idiot) hooks up another big one. Finally lands it, another 30+ fish, trolls over to have me take his picture. I do but accidentally drop his camera in the water. oops, sorry, cold hands, ya know? Well, not really, but that's what I was thinkin.

My live bait rod starts screeching again. I pull it out of the holder.....and he drops the bait....again. Buttwipe!

No problem, they'll be back......famous last words.

Fish for a coupla more hours with no results, move over to try for some tilapia. Catch a few small ( small, as in tiny) bluegills, then, a tilapia. Not too big, 8 incher. Next cast, another tilapia, nice one too. Probably 1 pound. Go to swing him in the boat with the 8' ultralight, he bangs the side of the boat...falls off....in the water. Why don't they ever fall off into the boat?

Fish for another half hour catching 4 inch pumpkinseeds and bluegills and finally I've had enough.

Headed downriver for Flippers, see a log in the choppy water (whitecaps) just in time to say "OH CRAP"! as I run over it. Cool, nothing major. Of course once the boat is on the trailer, I see the transducer dangling by it's wires. Broke the mounts on the transducer itself. Nothing a little crazy glue didn't fix!

AND I'M GONNA DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN TOMORROW!

Pookie
01-30-2014, 07:50 PM
No big deal with the Gallatin Steam Plant. It is a big community spot that everyone has known about for years. Nothing new about fishing it. Mostly it is about getting people to be courteous about how to fish in a crowd. But after a trip or two "most" people figure it out and have a good time fishing and talking to folks in boats right next to them.

With that said, we all have our tricks that don't show up here and can make a huge difference between catching a few fish and a boat load.

Jim

Shorty Holt used to post pics on his fishing show every week from the GSP. How long ago has that been?

jad2t
01-30-2014, 09:00 PM

Oh please do it. I'll bring whiskey and bacon if I can join.

XxthejuicexX
01-30-2014, 09:58 PM
Oh please do it. I'll bring whiskey and bacon if I can join.

I got the cold beer and burgers.

Dakota
01-30-2014, 10:05 PM
Or you can do like me....use your boat as an icebreaker. Launched at Flipper's at 5:45, broke a path out to the river and back before I parked the truck.

Steering was frozen, felt like wrestling a linebacker trying to turn it. Out in the river, running about 15 MPH in the dark....my Phace saver mask iced up about a mile into the run so bad I had to lift it to see where I was going. What is the wind chill when it's 2 degrees with a 15 MPH wind?

Finally got to the channel, foggy as all get out, trolled up to the barrier and dropped the trolling motor over the barrier....and here comes another idiot up to the barrier! I thought for sure I was the only one dumb enough to fish on a morning like this.

Fished for skippies to get a couple of live lines out. Got that set up and started casting flukes, top water baits, spinnerbaits. Hooked up on a 16" LM on a spinnerbait.

Then the SHTF! Big stripers started blasting the surface 50 yds. in front of the boat, coming closer every second. Huge boils! The other guy, Jason, hooked up on a topwater bait, landed a 32 pounder, asked me to photograph him, (which I did). Both of my down rods started screeching. Grab the port rod and the fish dropped the bait. Put that rod back in the holder, grab the other rod. Fight the fish for thirty seconds, it get's off. *@#$*())*^%$#@

Jason, (the other idiot) hooks up another big one. Finally lands it, another 30+ fish, trolls over to have me take his picture. I do but accidentally drop his camera in the water. oops, sorry, cold hands, ya know? Well, not really, but that's what I was thinkin.

My live bait rod starts screeching again. I pull it out of the holder.....and he drops the bait....again. Buttwipe!

Fish for a coupla more hours with no results, move over to try for some tilapia. Catch a few small ( small, as in tiny) bluegills, then, a tilapia. Not too big, 8 incher. Next cast, another tilapia, nice one too. Probably 1 pound. Go to swing him in the boat with the 8' ultralight, he bangs the side of the boat...falls off....in the water. Why don't they ever fall off into the boat?

Fish for another half hour catching 4 inch pumpkinseeds and bluegills and finally I've had enough.

Headed downriver for Flippers, see a log in the choppy water (whitecaps) just in time to say "OH CRAP"! as I run over it. Cool, nothing major. Of course once the boat is on the trailer, I see the transducer dangling by it's wires. Broke the mounts on the transducer itself. Nothing a little crazy glue didn't fix!

Wow now that's a day on the water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Jim
01-30-2014, 11:02 PM

Great story and you are not crazy. My first big steam plant striper came after dark in a snow storm. No one could hear me yelling and pumping my fist with finally getting a huge fish as I was the only boat out there :D

Cold weather is great for the steam plant fishing.

Good luck tomorrow,
Jim

tkwalker
01-31-2014, 02:35 AM
Great story and you are not crazy. My first big steam plant striper came after dark in a snow storm. No one could hear me yelling and pumping my fist with finally getting a huge fish as I was the only boat out there :D

Good luck tomorrow,
Jim

"When the weather is not fit for man nor beast, That is when you will catch Big Mama " !! <'TK>< :)

tacklemake
01-31-2014, 03:13 AM
That's alright I can wait till it's a little warmer and not so much wind..............woody

MNfisher
01-31-2014, 06:17 AM
Fished last night from 4-7. Bunch of skippies. No hits on the skippies or topwater or jigs. It was VERY breezy. Next time!

MNfisher
01-31-2014, 07:33 AM

Good luck tomorrow,
Jim

Been there! My biggest striper, 34 lbs, I was all alone, 1am. I was hootin and hollarin, no one to hear me! Lol

jad2t
01-31-2014, 11:24 AM
Been there! My biggest striper, 34 lbs, I was all alone, 1am. I was hootin and hollarin, no one to hear me! Lol

THIS Summer I'll be there to hear you and vice versa!!