PDA

View Full Version : Seeking weekend advice from the experts

geckel
01-29-2014, 08:45 AM
FINALLY, I have a weekend of no responsibilities...I've been off the water far too long. I get Saturday and Sunday to wet a line so I thought I'd get some opinions. How is the caney right now? This time last year all I could get was a sturgeon....all the brown were full of shad I guess. After reading a few threads it would appear that GSP is we're it's at. I'm thinking that's where I'll spend at least one of my days out on the water. Seeing as I've never been there before I thought I'd ask where to launch, what fish are biting, what lures/time of day is most effective? Also should I take the kayak or bass boat. Thanks in advance.

jad2t
01-29-2014, 09:06 AM
GSP has been off and on, but mostly on. A group of kayakers went to fish below CHD and caught a few but nothing special. I wanted so bad to go last weekend but they started cutting the generators off. Boat or kayak? Well that's easy, kayak because it's much more fun!

I'm trying to figure out a way to get out on Sunday after church and strictly look for Crappie from the yak, wife will be out of town and I don't want to leave my dog home and hungry..she's liable to try and eat something that isn't supposed to be eaten!

JandSCattleCo
01-29-2014, 09:17 AM
Crate the dog and fish for a few hours!!!!!

tcintn
01-29-2014, 09:43 AM
If they cut generator off for part of day on Saturday and it does not rain,I will be wading the Caney using T M's floating it under a "gerri" float.
I will anyone who wants to come.

My wife just reminded me I have to be home early to go out and celebrate our 52nd wedding anniversary.:D

browntrout
01-29-2014, 09:53 AM
If they cut generator off for part of day on Saturday and it does not rain,I will be wading the Caney using T M's floating it under a "gerri" float.

My wife just reminded me I have to be home early to go out and celebrate our 52nd wedding anniversary.:D

I would second that motion.

Roy

jad2t
01-29-2014, 10:09 AM

I'd love to meet you out there and soak up some of the TM knowledge you have but I won't have time this weekend. They've been productive but not to the level that they are for you and Alpha! There is always more to learn!

wordty
01-29-2014, 10:27 AM
Hey Ed, tell us more about the gerri float please

Signed,
the Baptist Minister who calls you during church

txnative
01-29-2014, 06:05 PM
Not sure about the "expert" advice, but I'll share some info.

I would recommend a kayak for your first trip simply to learn where you can/can't run your bass boat. There are some areas coming in that could do some serious damage if you hit them at speed. Add to the that the need to be there early just to ensure a good spot at "The Bar" (translation: arriving in very low light conditions), and it becomes easy to see the need for knowledge of the area. HOWEVER, if it will be windy, then the bass boat will be an easier platform to fish from.

I can go over the gas cost issues, long cold run in the dark, and need to be uber-stealthy about boat/motor noise, but will save time by just recommending a kayak.

Launch from Coles Ferry boat ramp, paddle straight across to the backside of the island and head to the GSP channel...follow the same path back. Easy paddle and boats should not pose any problem. If you go in your bass boat, I recommend launching at Flipper's, it's further away, but provides easier launching/loading and has MUCH better parking.

Lures: 1/2-3/4 oz jigheads with white or chartreuse super flukes, 5" topwaters (wakebaits, walk-the-dog baits, poppers, etc) and swimbaits like the 5" Storm WildEye Swim Shad will get the job done

Rod & Reel: med to med-heavy spinning gear (med-heavy preferred) and a reel with good line capacity and drag. Casting tackle in the same ratings, but you may want a heavy rod, just in case

Line: 10 lb MINIMUM. I prefer braid for casting ability, but mono or fluoro will work as long as you can cast an appreciable distance. I've been using 20 lb fireline crystal, but will throw small(er) baits on 10 lb fireline...that can be a bit risky, though.

Times: dawn and dusk for stripers. You can bring smaller gear for whites, skippies, tilapia, crappie, etc for the rest of the day.

If you have any other questions, let me know and I'll help if I can.

Chris bryant

geckel
01-29-2014, 08:53 PM
Wow this is super helpful guys...thank you. I'm going to look up the launch points on the map right now. Hey txnative, I watched your video and was wondering if it's legal to cross that barrier you guys are fishing from...in a kayak that is?

Saltwaterwalt
01-29-2014, 09:07 PM
I would seriously doubt that crossing that barrier would be allowed. I heard they blocked it off because of the 'scrubbers' they're installing at the plant, and the fact that they had to run new power lines across the canal. That's according to one of the guys I talked to on the GSP gun range. I'm sure someone elso will pipe in on this and tell us what they heard.

txnative
01-29-2014, 09:08 PM
Hey txnative, I watched your video and was wondering if it's legal to cross that barrier you guys are fishing from...in a kayak that is?

100% NO. TVA can rightfully keep us behind the buoys, but haven't pressed the issue so far. I'm sure that as soon as someone gets greedy and crosses the barrier, TVA will start ticketing people that have passed the buoys for trespassing...and the buoys are set far enough out to make fishing the steam plant for a number of different species all but a waste of time if we are not allowed to move past them.

Chris Bryant

tkwalker
01-30-2014, 02:02 AM
I would seriously doubt that crossing that barrier would be allowed. I heard they blocked it off because of the 'scrubbers' they're installing at the plant, and the fact that they had to run new power lines across the canal. That's according to one of the guys I talked to on the GSP gun range. I'm sure someone elso will pipe in on this and tell us what they heard.

As most of you know I worked at GSP for 13 years in instrumentation and have over (200 EPA) two hundred trips up the stacks plus had to know every operational aspect of how the monkey works in a steam plant operation ... Plus maintained all of the instrumentation on all 4 turbines ... Before I left for a managerial Job at Nissan in 1984 ...

Now Walt ... I am not sure what the credentials that the guy at the gun range held ... (most of the guys at the gun range are security officers at GSP)

Scrubbers are at the exhaust end of the process ... Clean the emissions ... has nothing to do with the discharge channel .. Unless They are going to enlarge the duct system and actually build out over the canal ... Now that is feasible .. ... As far as overhead power lines that would be done in a 12 hour time frame ... They run High tension lines all the time ...... But remember ... TVA is a Federal Agency ... They have their on Security, Navy etc ... Not sure if TWRA would have any jurisdiction over the barriers ...

Folks this is what the discharge channel is used for ... Basic terms ... You have a water flow that is received in the water intakes at the water plant on the upper side of the plant across from twin coves and this is treated water that flows through the Steam process ... The turbines have a three steam level of heat(super heat, mid and low) ... All steam after being used returns to the heating process but during the process condensate is formed ... (water) ... That is why the discharge from the GSP temp runs 12 deg's warmer than the ambient temp of the river temp ...

So Basically ... I have no idea why the barrier ( I am not advocating a breach I really don't see why anyone would need to .. Hey a Docking station ... swing a leg to anchor and cast ... ... ......

The only problem I see ... Like stated before ... Big Mama is going to show up .. (use big bait, they are lazy !!) (1) ...someone is going to get their feelings hurt , (2) .. someone is going to have a very good day ... and (3) ...
Actually the best ... maybe after a weeks trip end up in New Orleans for Fat Tuesday !!! :)

It may be legit ...My 2 Cents worth .. <'TK>< :)