PDA

View Full Version : Below OHD 1/26/2014

agelesssone
01-26-2014, 10:10 PM
Fished with jad2t below OHD from 1:30 til 4:30 this (Sunday) afternoon and it was a 100% BUST. Throwing everything, except each other, at the fish this afternoon, we could not coax ONE BITE!

I talked with two boat anglers as they were readying their boat to leave. They said they had fished for 6 hours and had caught ONE short sauger and one little catfish. Not looking good. Drifted down to 2 guys fishing. They had been fishing for five hours without a single bite!

Picked Jimmy up at the ramp and we proceeded to get TOTALLY SKUNKED! We couldn't even catch a skippie.

There was a shad kill by the cold weather and there were tons of dead baby shad. The birds were thick as fleas on a hound dog. Try as we may, wherever we could, throwing, jigging, cranking, dead sticking.....

http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/agelesssone/media/20140126_163955_zpsed514319.jpg.html

Travis C.
01-26-2014, 10:17 PM
That sounds tough Merv. Stinks you guys didn't have a better outing.

How did you end up at GSP?

MNfisher
01-27-2014, 12:02 AM
I have yet to do any good during a shad kill. I think all the fish gorge themselves full, then they don't eat for a bit.

jad2t
01-27-2014, 08:35 AM
Yea we were going to stay until after dark and try for Walleye but lost encouragement because of the smell of skunk that was so thick. We figured it's just going to get colder and we're still not going to catch anything. Oh well, that's how it goes sometimes. Always fun fishing with you Merv, we'll do it again soon.

I always think of it like this - all of us have had days where we get skunked no matter how good of fishermen we are. After a skunk trip, the chance it's going to happen again next time goes down. After two skunk trips, the chance of it happening a third time goes much farther down. It's all a matter of statistics since the majority of us (except SAMBOLIE haha) have more trips where we catch at least a fish than we do getting skunked. I got skunked at GSP in sub 20 temps, then skunked yesterday, so my next fishing outing should produce.

Travis C.
01-27-2014, 10:36 AM
I have yet to do any good during a shad kill. I think all the fish gorge themselves full, then they don't eat for a bit.

Usually the best shad kill bite is fishing the starting days of it. After the shad kill gets going the bite gets pretty tough. May be better to drop back further downstream and try for the fish that haven't moved up to the Dam yet are still opportunistic.

agelesssone
01-27-2014, 11:05 AM
We talked to two fellas that had fished all the way down to the Stones river (approx. 8 miles) and they were the guys that caught one short sauger and one little catfish.

They had been fishing since daylight and this was 1:30 PM when we talked to them.

The other two guys had also been there about six hours....without one bite!

We only fished down below Mansker a little ways...

tbona
01-27-2014, 11:18 AM
Hi all, I am pretty new to the forum but have been reading for a while and trying to use the tips on here to improve my current skillset...It has definitely helped a ton! I was down there yesterday fishing the banks from about noon until 3 and did not have a single bite either...Everyone I talked to had the same story too. I tried a little bit of everything as well. I probably saw a few of you in the boats, I was there with my wife and she was doing some photography to keep from being too bored from watching me get skunked. Better luck next time!

agelesssone
01-27-2014, 11:28 AM
I couldn't believe how cold the water was...

http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/agelesssone/media/20140126_163955_zpsed514319.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0http://http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/agelesssone/media/20140126_163955_zpsed514319.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

tacklemake
01-28-2014, 07:04 AM
I look at it this way just be glad you didn't get a shower of gull droppings and that would of made your day...................woody

jimj3561
01-28-2014, 08:41 AM
I look at it this way just be glad you didn't get a shower of gull droppings and that would of made your day...................woody

You're right Woody - things can ALWAYS be worse...