PDA

View Full Version : Transducer clicking

XxthejuicexX
01-24-2014, 08:57 PM
I installed the elite 7 and had it on tonight and you can hear the clicking from the transducer anyone think this may scare fish? My fishing partner likes to turn all electronics off when we fish shallow so he does not alert the fish. What's everyones take on this?

Alphahawk
01-24-2014, 09:48 PM
I owned a couple of boats from 2001-2004. I fished below Pickwick Dam 5 days a week back then. I would sit on top of structure crappie fishing pulling out plenty of fish. I found that structure with my sonar and would keep it on at all times. If it ever bothered the fish I couldn't tell it. I also used on a Humminbird back then a transducer that was called Wide Side. It was same as sonar signal but it shot straight out to the sides. Was very useful for shooting docks. It never bothered the fish either. This is my observation but I don't think a sonar scares fish at all. If you read up on ice fishing you will see that the sonar is as important as the fishing gear. I have always wanted to watch a fish hit the jig on the sonar like the ice guys do.

Regards

goreds.king
01-24-2014, 09:52 PM
I had a Lowrance x96 that clicked, very loudly especially in an aluminum Jon boat. I called Lowrance twice and they assured me it was normal and the fish could not hear it. I now have a hummingbird 346c and I have yet to hear it click once.

Halli
01-24-2014, 09:53 PM
I bass fish mostly and turn my unit off if I feel like they are hard to catch
in a certain cove but have never really had it proven to me that it scares them.
On the other hand we had a post here about someone bonefishing and they said they cut off electronics because of fish being spooky while it was on.

XxthejuicexX
01-24-2014, 09:56 PM
I agree with you Alpha, I have never noticed any difference when it comes to the amount of fish caught. I have caught fish is less than 10 ft of water with two finders on right over top of them. I think he is a little paranoid.

littlebartlett
01-24-2014, 11:23 PM
Here is a cool downimaging link of a fish hitting a jig.

http://www.jasonhalfenoutdoors.com/DualBeamVertical.html

Alphahawk
01-24-2014, 11:50 PM
Here is a cool downimaging link of a fish hitting a jig.

http://www.jasonhalfenoutdoors.com/DualBeamVertical.html

I should be able to see that soon. I ordered an Humminbird 899ci HD si for my kayak.

Regards

Tnriverluver
01-25-2014, 12:13 AM
There was a video of some guys crappie fishing under a bridge using a Lowrance Elite 4 DSI and you could watch his 1/32 jig and the fish come and hit it. I can't find that video lately but it convinced me to buy the Lowrance Elite units. I now have 5 of them LOL:)

agelesssone
01-25-2014, 01:03 AM
Alpha, you're gonna love it!

XxthejuicexX
01-25-2014, 07:53 AM
TN river, I watched that video the other night. The guys says, look he is coming up to hit it, there he is. Thats just crazy to me. I have watched a few videos like that, one the guys are fishing with a drop shot for bass and watching the bass chase the lure throughout the water column. I will have to find the videos because they are impressive.

MNfisher
01-25-2014, 10:19 AM
One of my favorite things about ice fishing is watching your jig on a flasher, then watching the fish come on the screen, then changing your techniques by reading how the fish is reacting to your bait, finally enticing it to bite. So fun!

Buccaneer
01-25-2014, 11:01 AM
Juice - Hearing the transducer clicking when it is out of the water is common and normal. Don't know if it bothers the fish but my units are generally off when I am fishing 5' or less depth.

Tnriverluver
01-25-2014, 11:17 AM
TN river, I watched that video the other night. The guys says, look he is coming up to hit it, there he is. Thats just crazy to me. I have watched a few videos like that, one the guys are fishing with a drop shot for bass and watching the bass chase the lure throughout the water column. I will have to find the videos because they are impressive.
If you can post the link please do. I haven't been able to find it again and I think they were fishing on the Tn river near New Johnsonville.

Jdkxtreme
01-25-2014, 11:22 AM
There is no fish hitting this, But this is my spinner bait on my Lowrance Elite 5X DSI mounted on my Kayak

XxthejuicexX
01-25-2014, 07:27 PM
Got a cool fish bite on sonar today with the elite 7. I took this while fighting the fish. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/26/ara3u2e9.jpg you can see the arch on the left, the solid black line is my sinker and minnow. Then the strike when the fish arch goes squiggly. Here she is.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/26/eha9a3u8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TroutFiend
01-25-2014, 07:38 PM
Nice! I have got a long way to go before I start figuring this sonar thing out. So JPP had access points with no ice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

XxthejuicexX
01-25-2014, 07:51 PM
No ice what so ever where I was. I put in at Jefferson springs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis C.
01-25-2014, 10:37 PM
Nice pics. It's really cool to watch them move vertical at your bait then you can almost set by that when drop shot fishing or watching that fish come out of the blind spot on off the bottom then appear out of no where.

XxthejuicexX
01-25-2014, 11:03 PM
I got caught 3 crappie like that. I was over brush and they came out of the brush to hit the minnow. I got to watch it all in real time with the sonar, pretty sweet.