PDA

View Full Version : McCutcheon Creek

Alphahawk
01-24-2014, 02:32 PM
Stopped by the creek today as I saw some folks fishing there at about 9:30 a.m. Evidently the truck dumped trout there this morning. There was only a small riffle that was running as most of creek was frozen over. There was one man in the water breaking holes in the ice with a baseball bat....LOL.....so they could fish....I guess that is what the intention was. The trout were obviously in thermal shock. The guys there told me the fisheries guys told them to break holes in the ice and the fish would adjust and be OK. I don't know. If you look at one of the pics you can see where the holes in the ice are and 3 trout have flopped up onto the ice. While my pics don't show it you could see trout floundering around under the ice. I do hope the trout survive. Update....went back at 1:00 p.pm. Saw about a dozen fish on the bottom dead. Saw several fish just hovering off bottom but you can tell they are really lethargic. The sun has melted a little of the stream and one guy showed up and decided to fish....saw a couple of large trout and I guess he wanted to try and catch but I would be surprised if they bite at all.

Regards

XxthejuicexX
01-24-2014, 02:41 PM
That would be the first time I have ever seen someone using a baseball bat to fish. Looks like he might be working up a old number 6 on those fish!

jad2t
01-24-2014, 03:11 PM
I don't blame him. Like we all haven't had those days we're so frustrated with the fish not cooperating that we'd like to take a bat to them?

Still_learning
01-24-2014, 03:16 PM
LOL - The ol' number 6. I'm cracking up...

MNfisher
01-24-2014, 03:53 PM
Man, that's crazy? TWRA might get some heat about this. I will talk to Doug about this tomorrow morning.

creekcrappie
01-24-2014, 04:02 PM
Wow that is crazy!

jad2t
01-24-2014, 04:03 PM
Man, that's crazy? TWRA might get some heat about this. I will talk to Doug about this tomorrow morning.

They SHOULD catch heat about it! You'd think a bunch of wildlife biologists would know better than to drop 2,000 trout into frozen water. They should have waited a week or however long it took for the temps to stay above freezing.

goreds.king
01-24-2014, 09:59 PM
MNfisher...keep us post on what Doug says. I'd love to listen but man that's early. If I'm up that early it's to go fishing, and I can't tomorrow.

jallen67
01-24-2014, 10:35 PM
This was exactly how it was at Beech last weekend but I guess the fish had time to acclimate to the cold water before it froze. After broke up the ice the fish were hitting it like crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jallen67
01-24-2014, 10:36 PM
I was planning on going to the creek tomorrow. Think I should wait a little while to let things warm up? Worth going at all?

Alphahawk
01-24-2014, 10:55 PM
I was planning on going to the creek tomorrow. Think I should wait a little while to let things warm up? Worth going at all?

It should be open spots to fish by afternoon. I am sure it will be covered up with folks fishing. Lots of fish still in that little spot of water.

Regards

jallen67
01-24-2014, 11:28 PM
Well if anyone comes down tomorrow stop by and see me. I'll be the big red headed bearded guy in a bright green shirt and camo pants on (and possibly waders)

tacklemake
01-25-2014, 12:10 AM
We use to have a old sash weight on a rope to nock a hole in the ice and by lifting and lowering the weight you cut a big sheet of ice out so you could fish................woody

ditz1
01-25-2014, 02:15 PM
jeeeeez....how sick!

jallen67
01-25-2014, 07:23 PM
Went to McCutcheon Creek and Harpeth today but didn't have any luck at either place. All they would do is stare at my TM. No one was catching any when I was there. Ran by the Harpeth release spot and there wasn't a fish in sight. I wade down the river some pass the bend but never caught anything. Saw two trout alive and about 5 dead. Do these trout make it downstream pretty quickly? I assumed they'd be more populated around that Harpeth drop in point.

Alphahawk
01-25-2014, 09:21 PM
Passed by there twice today and it was covered up with folks. Don't know if they were catching though as I didn't stop.

Regards

Fishbus
01-27-2014, 12:13 AM
Harpeth on Sunday. Dead fish, no one catching.