PDA

View Full Version : harpeth trout

commdd
01-24-2014, 01:52 PM
went to the stocking today and when they dumped them in they went into shock due to the 32 degree water... many hundreds of trout immediatly were washed downstream in the crystal clear water, could have scooped up a limit of paralyzed fish by the shore but not sure if the game warden would have approved so left them for the racoons. couldn't have fished anyway as you couldn't clear the ice from your guides as the water was that cold.

jad2t
01-24-2014, 02:05 PM
That's unfortunate. You'd think TWRA would take that into consideration and maybe wait a few days to do the stocking rather than dump them in and watch them die.

Alphahawk
01-24-2014, 02:33 PM
went to the stocking today and when they dumped them in they went into shock due to the 32 degree water... many hundreds of trout immediatly were washed downstream in the crystal clear water, could have scooped up a limit of paralyzed fish by the shore but not sure if the game warden would have approved so left them for the racoons. couldn't have fished anyway as you couldn't clear the ice from your guides as the water was that cold.

Yep....see my post...they should not have even loaded trout up today.

Regards

goreds.king
01-24-2014, 03:18 PM
This is disappointing to hear. Hopefully TWRA keeps this in mind next time they stock with temperatures like today.

fishfindergeneral
01-24-2014, 03:37 PM
Honestly I don't see why they put trout anywhere they can't live to a ripe old age. For nearly 30 years I've driven an hour or more from Nashville to catch them and with the multi species one day license available, it seems a total waste of resources. I could understand it if all the people taking advantage of the program would ante up and purchased trout stamps. But with out the full 18.00 coming in to finance the program, It seems like such a waste.

jad2t
01-24-2014, 03:45 PM
Where along the Harpeth do they get stocked? If I have some free time tomorrow I might head there with TMs to have a little fun.

nailman_83
01-24-2014, 05:23 PM
This may be a dumb question, but wouldn't the water in the trucks be close to the temperature of the river? I don't understand why the trout would die unless there is a significant difference.

Alphahawk
01-24-2014, 05:48 PM
This may be a dumb question, but wouldn't the water in the trucks be close to the temperature of the river? I don't understand why the trout would die unless there is a significant difference.

Thats a good question really. That is always the plan but McCutcheon Creek measured 35 degrees just an hour ago. I dropped back by just to look again....you can tell I don't have much to do.....LOL. It only takes about 5 degrees difference to put them in thermal shock but they can usually survive that and bounce back but I am talking abut 52 degree water and then being dumped in 44 degree water or so. But it is quite obvious the temps weren't too close at the river or the creek or we wouldn't have so many dead fish around.

Regards