PDA

View Full Version : Flat boats, for those who asked

Saltwaterwalt
01-22-2014, 09:26 AM
Had a PM about flat boats. Basically they're built like a bass boat, but a lot lighter and with a flat bottom, not a keel (v-center) running down the middle. They also have a tunnel hull and a hydraulic jack plate which allows you to lift the motor up while running where you'll only have about 10" of lower unit sticking below the bottom of the boat. The tunnel funnels the water up over the cavitation plate, allow it to run in this position. This allows it to go really shallow...in as little as a foot of water when planed off.

They basically are set up for two people, with a poling platform on the back, so one angler poles towards the fish, while the guy on the front casting deck gets ready. Poling is big on saltwater flats as trolling motors spook the heck out of gamefish like tarpon or redfish. My son and I have found it useful though up here for easing in on feeding carp in the shallows, plus the guy standing on the platform can see unbelievably well and call out the fish to the angler up front. We also use the platform to spot bream on the bed in spring time too, it works well. You also drive it from an elevated position, which makes it nice for seeing floating debris in front of you, which we know OH has a lot of.

If there is a disadvantage to a flatsboat, the only one I can think of is takes a bit to get use to the handling. It's about as squirrely (a word?) a boat as I've ever owned. Without a keel, it doesn't track, it slides, which is why it has a "suicide knob" on the steerwheel, because you really have to work it! It's also why the horsepower rating is not way up there like a bass boat. Mine is a 16.5ft and the max HP is 60, which is what I have, and it runs about 32 which is fast enough for me. It's not too bad under power, but in idle, like when trying to dock or trailer, it will sure make you look like an amateur, especially if its windy.

Here is a photo of mine on plane, and also a link on YouTube of a guide in Florida running the shallows...watch after the two minute mark and you'll see how shallow this boat is running in. You'll also see him working that steering knob to slide it around the corners. Its really a fun boat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wGqei7dhpM

Reel Tune
01-22-2014, 09:33 AM
Great looking boat. We used a 19' Polar Craft when we lived in Jacksonville it had a 75HP 4 stroke. It was a great boat for sure. I would think a flats boat would work great for around here. Especially for running up into rivers.

Buccaneer
01-22-2014, 04:33 PM
Sold a Maverick Mirage when I moved here from Florida in 1998. Still kicking myself for that stellar decision. We lived in Titusville at the doorstep of world class inshore saltwater fishing. If I still had it today, it would be with me on every trip to Destin to see the mother in law. Go ahead and call me dummy, I can take it.

tcintn
01-22-2014, 04:59 PM
Great boat.Someone in Tenn got one of these
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwpFBNNi1VM

Saltwaterwalt
01-22-2014, 05:21 PM
I talked to one of the engineers at Ranger and they've used jet drive outboards on Banshee Extremes like mine on the White River in Arkansas. I do fine with prop drive and I don't want to take the 20HP reduction by going to a jet lower unit. Besides, if I really want to get skinny, like the Collins River, or the Caney at low discharge, I'll go with my son who has a Towee with a jet drive...that thing will blow over gravel bars! Can't do that in my flats boat.

Saltwaterwalt
01-22-2014, 05:28 PM
Sold a Maverick Mirage when I moved here from Florida in 1998. Still kicking myself for that stellar decision. We lived in Titusville at the doorstep of world class inshore saltwater fishing. If I still had it today, it would be with me on every trip to Destin to see the mother in law. Go ahead and call me dummy, I can take it.

I love Maverick boats...great boats. I did a guided trip in one in the Keys...looked for one that I could afford but they weren't any bargains out there. Then I found my Ranger...and have been quite happy with it.

I've fished Indian River a couple years back...what a great fishery! I've never seen so many mullets...was there during Oct and the Reds were pounding on them.

Travis C.
01-22-2014, 06:18 PM
Great boat.Someone in Tenn got one of these
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwpFBNNi1VM

There is guy that runs one on the Caney a lot.

Travis C.
01-22-2014, 06:28 PM
The Towee's are nice looking but I'd want one that is not fiberglass for around here. This is my next boat if I ever get another:

A SeaArk 1860 with a 90hp jet on it. 18ft boat with a 84" beam on a tunnel hull that can runs in super shallow water.

http://media.channelblade.com/boat_graphics/electronic_brochure/company58928/314452_p_t_640x480_image02.jpg

http://media.channelblade.com/boat_graphics/electronic_brochure/company58928/314452_p_t_640x480_image01.jpg

But that is in my dreams at this point.

While I wait on that, I will just check your boat out Saltwater and drool because its pretty dang sweet.

TroutFiend
01-22-2014, 07:44 PM
Might want to check this one out also . Never have got to ride in one though.

http://youtu.be/75V-bvUKHRA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Saltwaterwalt
01-22-2014, 08:05 PM
Might want to check this one out also . Never have got to ride in one though.

http://youtu.be/75V-bvUKHRA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

That's one BAD BOAT! About as close to an airboat in 'go anywhere' as you're going to get. I bet it has one heck of a price too!

littlebartlett
01-22-2014, 09:44 PM
I have a 14 ft alweld semi-v with a 50/35 yamaha jet. Alot of fun running the rivers, but a pain at times. With with no lower unit in the water, slides when turning, so plan ahead, not as bad as a flat bottom though. and will definitely make you look like an amatuer when loading on the trailer, especially with no side guides. Also a pain while trolling as the back of the boat wants to come around, hence I mounted my paddle on my homemade powerpole to use as a rudder. It will go about any where you want it to - 4" of water, over gravel bars, logs, whatever you are comfortable with. I usually run in the duck river, but go out to priest too. For a lake boat, get a motor that has a lower unit, if you can keep that on there out on priest.

tkwalker
01-23-2014, 01:46 AM
I have a 14 ft alweld semi-v with a 50/35 yamaha jet. Alot of fun running the rivers, but a pain at times. With with no lower unit in the water, slides when turning, so plan ahead, not as bad as a flat bottom though. and will definitely make you look like an amatuer when loading on the trailer, especially with no side guides. Also a pain while trolling as the back of the boat wants to come around, hence I mounted my paddle on my homemade powerpole to use as a rudder. It will go about any where you want it to - 4" of water, over gravel bars, logs, whatever you are comfortable with. I usually run in the duck river, but go out to priest too. For a lake boat, get a motor that has a lower unit, if you can keep that on there out on priest.

My observation over the years on the water with Jets ... For sure, most least efficient fuel outboard/inboard on the mkt. ... You can hear them coming up the river screaming ... thinking they are flying but in actuality going 25% slower than a propped motor ... You see a 50/35 Hp Jet ... What that means it takes a 50 HP to do what a conventional 35 HP Propped motor will do ... (There is your efficiency) ... And from what I have seen and communicated with Jet owners is ... Fall leafs, (Leaves) when trolling gather around the intake and making the motor over heat ... especially inboards with jet drives .... Also ... yes they can run on top of 10 inches of water on plane but when you want to turn it around you have to keep it on 10 inches to make your 180 turn ... So this makes it precarious like places such as the Caney, Duck, Harpeth etc .... This is my observation ... I have never owned one but from talking to owners in Mid Tenn. ... Not one of their better ideas ...

Now Talking with folks in Ark. such as the White great rig. ...

Talk to Mike Anderson ... His info is located on my Home page (Guide service) a friend and a hell of a guide ... I think he has a jet Honda on an Arkansas Boat ... Beautiful rig ... I've seen it on the Caney and He is successful with it ... If you are serious ... He is the man you need to talk to ... <'TK>< :)

tkwalker
01-23-2014, 02:36 AM
There is guy that runs one on the Caney a lot.

Travis, It does not take a Jet to fish the Caney ... I have fished out of my 23 foot 8.5 foot wide 25 inch transom Bay boat with a 250 HP Blue water Merc all the way up to the pump station ... Way past the cabin and drippy rock ... With no generation ... Yes at Times the motor was trimmed up so high you could see the prop blades out of the water .. And yes I had the guide party to go to the front deck to flatten the boat out ...

This is a 4500 pound rig with 4 people ... 90 gallons of fuel, 5 batteries ... 80 gallons of live wells... But I was successful ...

I look at jets as a specialty boat ... that is really limited to the overall versatility of our Middle Tennessee fisheries ... ... After I got into guiding and was making a little money I decided I was going to be different and buy and use a specialty boat ... I thought a 125 HP Tiller Merc. was the ticket (Something like what you see on Swamp People now ..) on a center console boat (Landau) Special made in Missouri .. The motor was a hand full until you got her trimmed out ... It worked great in tight quarters like the tributaries ...

But then I discovered well ... 75% of my fishing is in a lake or Larger river environment ... So the tiller and boat became more of a headache under these conditions ... So I converted to a remote steer ... Then It was apparent my boat was to small and my business was to large for it to be profitable any longer ... So the next step was the bay boat ...

Now you are a multiple Species fisherman ... I was a one species fisherman at the time ,"stripers" ...( Already spent my time on the Bass tourneys ).. So you may want to reconsider going to the extreme on a limited usage boat ... (Similar to, Do I really want the body piercing in this particular body part and live with it for the rest of my life, or spend /lose $$ getting rid of it !!)...Think about the same boat ... tunnel Hull ... with a propped motor with a Hydraulic jack plate ... I have a couple of Striper friends who I maintain their rigs that say ... this is the way to go ... Since they fish bass as well as stripers ... ... Just my observation and thoughts ... also look at the resale .. It is Kinda like camo boats and motors ... Their is only a select market for these .... <'TK>< :)

Travis C.
01-23-2014, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the insight TK.

My old river boat was a 16ft Big jon with a 50hp tiller Merc on it. I was dumb and decided to let it go cheap back then... $1500 for boat, trailer, depthfinders, trolling motor and outboard (which had maybe 200 hrs on it if that) to a friend of my fathers. I'd love to have that one back.

Pinwheeled
01-23-2014, 09:00 AM
Some good stuff here. Threads like this are why I enjoy this forum more than some of the larger ones Ive frequented before.

tcintn
01-23-2014, 09:36 AM
Some good stuff here. Threads like this are why I enjoy this forum more than some of the larger ones Ive frequented before.

Ditto

Jim
01-24-2014, 12:16 AM
You have a beautiful boat Saltwaterwalt!

I sure wish I was super rich and could have a different boat for every situation.

Or maybe even rich enough to have your boat :D

Jim

Saltwaterwalt
01-24-2014, 10:07 AM
You have a beautiful boat Saltwaterwalt!

I sure wish I was super rich and could have a different boat for every situation.

Or maybe even rich enough to have your boat :D

Jim

LOL! Thanks Jim...but trust me, I'm not rich! Have always had one boat at a time...and kept moving up and up until I got this one. Only took me 55 years! (how old I was when I bought it) The only other "boat" I have is my kayak, for those waters that are real itty bitty.