PDA

View Full Version : Perfect striper weather

agelesssone
01-21-2014, 09:14 AM
According to a well know and highly respected fisherman I talked to last evening, today would be perfect for fishing at ********.

But then, he's a lot tougher than I am, so I'll just sit here, in my bathrobe, drink coffee, play on the computer doing Facebook and FishingTN comments.

To anyone who ventured out, God bless and I hope you loaded the boat!

Saltwaterwalt
01-21-2014, 09:33 AM
Anyone going out in this blow today needs to remember the line of Chief Brody in "Jaws" ... "You're going to need a bigger boat." :D

jad2t
01-21-2014, 09:43 AM
25mph winds and show showers... I'll pass. I wasn't rewarded for my 17 deg in the morning kayak trip so I'm just not that into trying it again. I'll wait for Spring to get them.

And I have to work

XxthejuicexX
01-21-2014, 09:45 AM
Don't go giving away the secret striper location! I would like to have a chance of catching some this weekend if I can drag my butt out of bed to fish in the cold.

Jdkxtreme
01-21-2014, 09:52 AM
What makes them more active in this weather?

goreds.king
01-21-2014, 09:56 AM
Yesterday morning was the coldest weather I’d taken the kayak out in (around 32 when I started), and I was fine. If I didn’t have to work I’d go.

I believe TK said when the weather is not fit for man nor beast is when the best fish are caught.

TNBronzeback
01-21-2014, 10:42 AM
Perhaps its my sick sense of humor, and maybe some guys here can relate, but if its going to be this cold, i just assume we get a long deep freeze so we can walk on some of these lakes. 10lb hybrid thru the ice with a 30" ice fishing rod! WHEW, lighting in a bottle!
I may be a bit disturbed, i know! LOL.

MNfisher
01-21-2014, 11:15 AM
Perhaps its my sick sense of humor, and maybe some guys here can relate, but if its going to be this cold, i just assume we get a long deep freeze so we can walk on some of these lakes. 10lb hybrid thru the ice with a 30" ice fishing rod! WHEW, lighting in a bottle!
I may be a bit disturbed, i know! LOL.

Man! I would love to chase hybrids through the ice!

MNfisher
01-21-2014, 11:24 AM
Found these on Instagram. Colorado and Kansas http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/22/dygygysa.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/22/8y3y8yne.jpg

agelesssone
01-21-2014, 11:41 AM
WOW! That would be a trip, catching those things on 2-4 # line, thru the ice!

SAMBOLIE
01-21-2014, 11:55 AM

You can't land a fish on 50# line in open water. What would you do with 2# line going through the ice. I assume you already know that you drill a hole and that you do not fish on top of the ice.

agelesssone
01-21-2014, 12:24 PM

Please note the last three words of my post......

tacklemake
01-21-2014, 03:06 PM
What makes them more active in this weather?

Hot water discharge ................woody

Saltwaterwalt
01-21-2014, 04:58 PM
For bigger boats (well bigger than a kayak), is the Steamplant boat ramp the best, and closest, to launch from?

I'm going to have to try it. So if you see a boat like this at GSP in the next couple weeks, stop and say hello...or at least make sure I'm not froze to death. :D

MNfisher
01-21-2014, 06:35 PM
For bigger boats (well bigger than a kayak), is the Steamplant boat ramp the best, and closest, to launch from?

I'm going to have to try it. So if you see a boat like this at GSP in the next couple weeks, stop and say hello...or at least make sure I'm not froze to death. :D

Sweet boat Walt! I could use one like that when i head down to FL!

XxthejuicexX
01-21-2014, 06:37 PM
I put in at flippers and run down, I think it's about 2-3 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAMBOLIE
01-21-2014, 06:47 PM
Please note the last three words of my post......

Yeah, it doesn't say thru the hole in the ice.

Don't you love big ice holes?

SAMBOLIE
01-21-2014, 06:52 PM
I put in at flippers and run down, I think it's about 2-3 miles.

Duh. Flipper's is down stream of the plant. ;)

XxthejuicexX
01-21-2014, 06:56 PM
Not sure if I get your duh?

agelesssone
01-21-2014, 07:00 PM
Juice,
If you put in at Flipper's and run 2-3 miles "down" stream, you will be 4-5 miles downstream of the steam plant. GSP is approximately 2 miles upstream of Flippers.

GAWD, I hate to think I actually agreed with SAMBOLIE!

BARTENDER, WHISKEY!

XxthejuicexX
01-21-2014, 07:08 PM
Well boys, In my world if I run anywhere…. even to a store its down there and back. So yes I know it's down stream but in my world I run down to the steam plant and then run back up to the ramp. Ageless… or should I say useless :) I can't believe you agreed Sambolie, shame on you. Hell, you could have pointed out that I would not be running anywhere, I will be floating and then almost flying over the water at a high speed with only prop and pad touching the water, God it's going to be cold.

agelesssone
01-21-2014, 07:23 PM
Juice,

I prefer to show a little (little hell, A LOT) more tact than SAMBOLIE, so I didn't point out the obvious fact that you'd be afloat, not afoot.

And as far as agreeing with SAMBOLIE, it must be like someone commented in a previously closed thread, "I must be drunk, and should sleep it off" and it's not even dinnertime yet!

I don't know if I'll be able to show my face at the "gathering" after this fiasco....I'm sure to be the laughingstock of FishingTN.com.......

XxthejuicexX
01-21-2014, 07:35 PM
It's alright, Hey it's been cold so a little bourbon to keep you warm all day is ok. I would just say don't let it happen again and I will try to smooth things over so you can show up at the gathering. :D

agelesssone
01-21-2014, 08:00 PM
OH thank you, thank you, thank you!

XxthejuicexX
01-21-2014, 08:05 PM
you showing up at the steam plant this saturday ageless?

agelesssone
01-21-2014, 08:29 PM
I generally leave the place to the guys that have to work during the week and can only fish there on the weekends.

Being retired, I can go any day of the week.

Having said that, I went Monday morning, got there before daylight, and there was already two boats and three kayaks in place.

I can't imagine how crowded it must get on the weekends.

Do you still work?

Saltwaterwalt
01-21-2014, 08:55 PM
Sweet boat Walt! I could use one like that when i head down to FL!

Exactly why I got it Mike...hence the "saltwaterwalt" thing...:D

I make at minimum two trips a year down there. I fell in love with flats boats a long time ago and then figured why the heck wouldn't they work well up here. And they do! Plus, no carpet to clean fish slime off and without a true keel like a baseboat, plus the tunnel hull, it will go SHALLOW! It's a great boat for flyfishing for carp on the flats, which is something I do just about all summer long.

XxthejuicexX
01-21-2014, 08:55 PM
Do I still work… Yes I do. I just turned 30 and unfortunately I am not independently wealthy. I am hoping the cold and wind keeps people away from the plant but I doubt it. I could always fight the wind and try and catch crappy on JPP.

creekcrappie
01-21-2014, 09:01 PM
Do I still work… I could always fight the wind and try and catch crappy on JPP.

I hope that was a typo and that's not the way you normally say it!:D

XxthejuicexX
01-21-2014, 09:30 PM
Auto correct is awesome !

MNfisher
01-21-2014, 10:15 PM
Exactly why I got it Mike...hence the "saltwaterwalt" thing...:D

I make at minimum two trips a year down there. I fell in love with flats boats a long time ago and then figured why the heck wouldn't they work well up here. And they do! Plus, no carpet to clean fish slime off and without a true keel like a baseboat, plus the tunnel hull, it will go SHALLOW! It's a great boat for flyfishing for carp on the flats, which is something I do just about all summer long.

Thats awesome Walt! I always thought it would be nice to have a boat with no carpet and be able to just pressure wash it off.

tkwalker
01-22-2014, 02:04 AM
I hope that was a typo and that's not the way you normally say it!:D

Issac, actually both are correct depending where you are from ... Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, ...

Crappy, Crappie, Peecan or Pacan (Pecan).... Tomoto or tomato, Potato or Pototo ...

Now there is a definite distinction in Stripers and Strippers ... But there are a number of members that still have a problem with this. But I really liked the reply on one post about the ..I think Jack Daniels attractor works great ... :eek: I prefer Trout :rolleyes: <'TK>< ... Note: FTI is a Certified Family orientated Site...

Saltwaterwalt
01-22-2014, 09:00 AM
Back to the GSP boat ramp options...everybody says Flippers, but whats wrong with the one right at the steam plant? Seems it would be a lot shorter of a run to the canal...looking at mapquest anyway.

XxthejuicexX
01-22-2014, 09:05 AM
From what I was told about that ramp is that it is very small and tight. Apparently when it gets busy you can not move a truck and trailer around the parking lot because it's so small. I did not go there because I did not want to chance it.

Jdkxtreme
01-22-2014, 09:13 AM
Back to the GSP boat ramp options...everybody says Flippers, but whats wrong with the one right at the steam plant? Seems it would be a lot shorter of a run to the canal...looking at mapquest anyway.

It is faster for me to drive to Flippers then it is to drive to the Steam Plant ramp.

Plus when I was in my very early 20's I had a 20' Manta Ray jet boat with a 454 with 2 4's big nice looking chrome headers, Loud as hell and bright yellow. I knew nothing about Boats, Ramps or even good common sense. I had a brand new 2 Wheel drive Nissan. The ramp use to be gravel and I back up to that ramp pretty fast and hit the brake to stop and it just started sliding in the gravel and 3.4 seconds later it was all in the water. 30 Seconds later it was all on the bottom.

Hammy
01-22-2014, 07:38 PM
30 Seconds later it was all on the bottom.

Oops !!!!

Hammy