PDA

View Full Version : Great day on the Elk

tcintn
01-20-2014, 08:24 PM
Took a good friend to the Elk to see if we could catch some trout. he was fly-fishing and I was doing my T M thing under the "gerri" float.Caught most on white.I tried some new colors which were sent to me to see how they would do. The pink/white,orange/white,purple redemption,all were good today. Looking at the weather for the next week this might be the last day for some time to fish.I even tried twitching and caught a few.

TroutFiend
01-20-2014, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the report Ed. This river is in my bucket list this year for a grand slam. I am assuming all 3 species hold over there. Were you wading or boating today?

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Alphahawk
01-20-2014, 10:38 PM
Good deal Ed. I made wrong decision today and went to Pickwick.

Regards

Fishbus
01-20-2014, 11:48 PM
Ed,

Two weekends ago the whole family and a couple who are friends of ours fished at the gravel bar during and after generation.

We all fished TM/CM combos and small spinners and neither we, nor 10+ fly fisherman we're observed to catch a thing.

Is this normal would you say?

Billy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alphahawk
01-21-2014, 12:05 AM
Ed,

Two weekends ago the whole family and a couple who are friends of ours fished at the gravel bar during and after generation.

We all fished TM/CM combos and small spinners and neither we, nor 10+ fly fisherman we're observed to catch a thing.

Billy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed will answer I am sure but yes that can happen there Billy. I have fished there several times and walked all the way down to the big bend and never caught a thing. But other times it is really good. I am a Trout Magnet guy but at times on the Elk you may want to try some small Trout Cranks.

Regards

tcintn
01-21-2014, 11:18 AM

Billy

Billy,
I will try to do this again.The first time I replied the message disappeared.
Oh well,here goes again.
The few times I have fished the Elk,I will always start at the bridge to see the color the trout are hitting.I would routinely catch 5-10 and then move on down to the bend to fish that deep hole there and the beginning of bend.I have never gone more than 500' past bend to fish.I noticed not many were catching any trout in river or on bank.I had a lot of success using white and some pink along with evaluating some new colors.Biggest for the day was around 14-15" and rest were smaller but fun.Missed a lot due to using a barbless jig head. All said,I had fun and truly feel blessed to fish our rivers.
Ed:D

Fishbus
01-21-2014, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the good tips guys.

We won't give up easily. It's a nice spot. I look forward to kayaking it with the family when the weather warms as well.

Billy