PDA

View Full Version : Gsp 1/20/14

agelesssone
01-20-2014, 07:56 PM
Fished with tacklemake at the steam plant discharge today. Tried for tilapia but only caught bluegills.

Tacklemake was having fun catching skipjacks in the back of the boat so I decided to join him.

We caught some smallish skipjacks and set them out on rods and set the rods in holders. Caught one 2.65 lb. rockfish, CPR'd it. A little later, the other rod with an 11 inch skippie started peeling line.

Having not used this rod for a year, I had forgotten to set the drag properly. DUH! Finally wrestled the rod out of the holder and had the fish still peeling line when it suddenly snapped (50 lb. braid) and it was gone. Would have liked to got a look at it. So now I'll remember there are some very big fish in the Cumberland and quit thinking small.

All in all, a nice day on the water, 57 degrees when we quit about 1 PM.

SAMBOLIE
01-20-2014, 08:17 PM
I am glad that you and Woody had a good day on the water.

How many of those skippies did you clean. They must be easy to clean because you previously stated that you might be well into the night cleaning fish .
Losing the big one is always a disappointment.

agelesssone
01-20-2014, 09:18 PM
SAMBOLIE,
the guys in the boats to my left and right were more disappointed than I was.

They, like me, were hoping to get a look at it. I at least got to enjoy feeling the power of the fish for the thirty seconds it was on. Felt pretty big.

And, I only brought home on good sized skippie. I froze it and will use it for cut bait someday.

XxthejuicexX
01-20-2014, 10:25 PM
That's crazy to think that you broke 50 pound braid off on a fish. Was it the line or the knot tied? I broke a frog off this spring on G ville on a really nice bass but it was my knot. I just had to retie to make sure I had a good knot that morning, broke off on the first fish, 65 pound braid. I think I am going to venture up there Saturday morning in the cold and wind to see if I can stumble upon a big fish or two.

agelesssone
01-20-2014, 11:32 PM
I thought it could be the knot but when I checked it, the line was broken about 1/2 inch from the barrel swivel. The real fault was having the drag set way too tight.

But, there's always the next time.

XxthejuicexX
01-20-2014, 11:37 PM
Man, that really stinks. There is nothing like the look of panic on someone's face as they try to loosen a drag while the fish is ripping line. I don't know how many times I have turned the drag star the wrong way on my bait casters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim
01-21-2014, 12:17 AM
Glad you all had a good time. I was thinking about everyone catching big stripers at the steam plant while I was working today. I sure wish I could have been out there.

Sorry you lost the big one, but those missed fish always fuel the fire to get back out and land it next time.

Jim

agelesssone
01-21-2014, 09:32 AM
The fish was going to be released once I got it to the boat. It just got released a little sooner than I expected......or wanted.

I'm sure if it had known it was going to have it's photograph taken with ME, it would have docilely came to the boat, had it's photo taken and swam leisurely away.

It probably had visions of SAMBOLIE fighting on the other end of the rod which gave it the extra shot of adrenaline to surge and snap the line. I mean think about it.....having the embarrassment of being caught by SAMBOLIE and possibly having your picture floated around every fishing website on the internet. He'd have been shunned by every striper in the Cumberland River for the rest of it's life!

jad2t
01-21-2014, 09:44 AM
Merv it was probably just a foul-hooked carp!

SAMBOLIE
01-21-2014, 11:21 AM
The fish was going to be released once I got it to the boat. It just got released a little sooner than I expected......or wanted.

I'm sure if it had known it was going to have it's photograph taken with ME, it would have docilely came to the boat, had it's photo taken and swam leisurely away.

It probably had visions of SAMBOLIE fighting on the other end of the rod which gave it the extra shot of adrenaline to surge and snap the line. I mean think about it.....having the embarrassment of being caught by SAMBOLIE and possibly having your picture floated around every fishing website on the internet. He'd have been shunned by every striper in the Cumberland River for the rest of it's life!

If you will recall I made a picture of the largest fish you caught when I went with you. I was using an older camera that requires film developing (not digital).
After developing the film I weighed the picture of your fish.
THE PICTURE WEIGHED MORE THAN THE FISH.

agelesssone
01-21-2014, 11:38 AM
Merv it was probably just a foul-hooked carp!

Umm, if I remember correctly, Jimmy, that is your forte. I would never want to encroach on your field of expertise!

And SAMBOLIE, as you are well aware, the older we get, the more we forget and I am certainly guilty of that. Would you please post that picture so my memory will be refreshed?

SAMBOLIE
01-21-2014, 11:58 AM
Umm, if I remember correctly, Jimmy, that is your forte. I would never want to encroach on your field of expertise!

And SAMBOLIE, as you are well aware, the older we get, the more we forget and I am certainly guilty of that. Would you please post that picture so my memory will be refreshed?

I think it is being a DA and not old. I told you it is a photo and not a digital image.:D:D

Speaking of old age.
https://us.mg205.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=2%5f0%5f0%5f1%5f232568%5fAEnXiGIAAHmY Ut2mZAjpvR%2bFajE&pid=2.7&fid=Inbox&inline=1&appid=YahooMailNeo

agelesssone
01-21-2014, 12:22 PM
I think it is being a DA and not old. I told you it is a photo and not a digital image.:D:D

And you don't know how to take a picture (digital) of a picture (print). Speaking of being a DA!!!
Speaking of old age.
https://us.mg205.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=2%5f0%5f0%5f1%5f232568%5fAEnXiGIAAHmY Ut2mZAjpvR%2bFajE&pid=2.7&fid=Inbox&inline=1&appid=YahooMailNeo

nomad60
01-21-2014, 03:57 PM
That sucks about losing that fish. But at least you got to get out there and enjoy that nice weather! I was all locked and loaded, ready to go and then decided to spend the day with my wife. Took her to lunch, a nice drive and some shopping. All the while thinking of how much I wanted to be out on the water. After my 37th comment on how nice of a day it was, she asked me why the heck I hadn't gone fishing :).