PDA

View Full Version : live bait rigging for stripers

TNBronzeback
01-20-2014, 12:21 AM
I seen lately a few guys have been using live skipjacks for stripers and im curious about where/how to hook them.
Ive used gizzard & threadfins in the spring and ive hooked them through both nostrils with good results but i tried a live skipjack the same way and it was instant death for it once i did. Maybe i did it wrong or stressed the 'jack too much but he went lifeless stat!
i know with shad, certain steps need to be taken to avoid "red nose" which ive read stripers are not a fan of at certain times.
If your using big skip jacks do you run 2 hooks or just 1 big hook? Hooked in the mouth, back, tail?
So since big line sides are a fan of big meals i figure i need to learn the proper rigging so im using something stripers want instead of dragging dead skipjacks down the river! lol.
Thanks for the info!

tkwalker
01-20-2014, 01:03 AM
I seen lately a few guys have been using live skipjacks for stripers and im curious about where/how to hook them.
Ive used gizzard & threadfins in the spring and ive hooked them through both nostrils with good results but i tried a live skipjack the same way and it was instant death for it once i did. Maybe i did it wrong or stressed the 'jack too much but he went lifeless stat!
i know with shad, certain steps need to be taken to avoid "red nose" which ive read stripers are not a fan of at certain times.
If your using big skip jacks do you run 2 hooks or just 1 big hook? Hooked in the mouth, back, tail?
So since big line sides are a fan of big meals i figure i need to learn the proper rigging so im using something stripers want instead of dragging dead skipjacks down the river! lol.
Thanks for the info!

John ... If you are looking for schoolies or large rogues ... Your method is correct ... Nostrils !! .. .. whether it be Gizzards, Skippies or trout , Planer board or free swim... Your Skippy death rate maybe do to natural death rather than the hooking method ... I also used treble stingers sometimes on my trout and Skippies ...

I used the Nostril method for 20 years ... In fact I would hook my trout this way and at the end of the day bring them home and put them in my refrigerated tanks and use them for later trips ... They were alive and happy ... (year round) ...

Skippies is one of the hardest baits to keep ... They discharge a toxic oil which is detrimental to themselves .. So a constant water flow thru their tank helps ... But I had over $1000 invested with the latest and greatest in a tank and system and the best I could do was keep them alive 5 hours ... And this was about the same my Friend and rival Ralph Hollis Dallas could do ... But yet I could drive a Eagle Claw #7 Shaunesy hook thru their nose and immediately throw them in the water .. and they would live all day ... The challenge here was to catch them at Cordell Hull ...Trailer out to Granville and Martins Creek ... No more than an hour ordeal before I could push fresh water thru my tanks again constantly but the death rate would be 40% ...

Also if I was really after Mama ... 16 to 18 inch bait is not out of the question ... I grew this size trout in my tanks ... Remember ...Rogues are lazy ... they follow the schools after they ravage ... They just can't turn down a slow, large , striper candy swimming by at one of their favorite ambush points ...Ambush points !! Now where are they :confused:

Your turn .. Tell me where they might be ... ;) John ...not aimed at you but to all who are interested in going after trophy Stripers ... I will help ... But you have to go out and educate yourself ... Read all you can ... And then throw out 50% of it as BS. Then report what you have learned and I will guide you in the right direction ... Note: Priest holds no trophyies ... This is strictly the Cumberland River Chain ...

Hope this helps ...... <'TK>< :)

Dakota
01-20-2014, 08:39 AM
Great stuff TK. I love striper fishing with skippies. Have always had my best luck using skipjack. Besides GSP and below dams I don't have any hot spots on the Cumberland River. I wish I did. I know they are in the Caney too. The biggest I've ever had in my boat was 36 lb on live skipjack wow that was an memory. So glad I had a friend with me. Happy Fishing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

jad2t
01-20-2014, 09:03 AM
Dollar bills work really well for attracting strippers.

TNBronzeback
01-20-2014, 09:04 AM
Thanks TK, i really dont have any information on Cumberland River stripers aside from what ive seen a few guys doing below old hickory and cheatham in the summer during generation. My limited knowledge is geared around the waters of East TN, but i dont see a reason why they wouldnt work on the Cumberland once i found them.
I think i have a place or 2 in mind for chasing on the Cumberland this year so im gonna give them a try.
Actually, as bad as it sounds, my biggest hang-up right now, is not getting my cast net to fully open up when throwing for shad. 1 out of 10 will open up as pretty as a picture while the others look like a half moon or worse! LOL. ive gotta work on that, before the spring run hits!

Pookie
01-20-2014, 09:34 AM
Note: Priest holds no trophyies ... This is strictly the Cumberland River Chain ...

Hope this helps ...... <'TK>< :)

Years ago, we caught a 16, a 17, and a 38# striper at Tim's Ford, fishing at the dam. We trolled a large bucktail jig tipped with an artificial shad about 4" long. All we did was follow the birds. I have since heard that Tim's is dead for big rockfish.

Pookie
01-20-2014, 09:38 AM
Dollar bills work really well for attracting strippers.

Do you use any scent on them?

I use to spray mine with Crown Royal and it seemed to work better.

Dakota
01-20-2014, 06:14 PM
Thanks TK, i really dont have any information on Cumberland River stripers aside from what ive seen a few guys doing below old hickory and cheatham in the summer during generation. My limited knowledge is geared around the waters of East TN, but i dont see a reason why they wouldnt work on the Cumberland once i found them.
I think i have a place or 2 in mind for chasing on the Cumberland this year so im gonna give them a try.
Actually, as bad as it sounds, my biggest hang-up right now, is not getting my cast net to fully open up when throwing for shad. 1 out of 10 will open up as pretty as a picture while the others look like a half moon or worse! LOL. ive gotta work on that, before the spring run hits!

There's many ways to throw the Castnet it but what I did is practiced in my yard a whole lot. Make sure that the rope is snug on your wrist so the whole thing doesn't fly off in the water. You should loop the rope through so when you pull the rope gets snug around your wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Jim
01-21-2014, 12:03 AM

I've been throwing a cast net since I was a kid and still throw the dreaded "banana" on occasion. I realize there are a bunch of different ways to throw a net, but for me it is almost always one of two mistakes that stop the net from opening properly.

1. Being lazy and not setting up the net properly. This means not going through all the steps to getting the net ready to throw. In my method I have a few folds of the net to do as I get it ready to throw. Sometimes I think, maybe I can shortcut them a bit to make it faster. Sometime it works, but many times it doesn't. A wasted throw isn't worth the few moments gained by short-cutting the setup. I wish I would take my own advice on this one.

2. Getting tired. After throwing a bunch, my shoulders get tired and I start letting my hands come together at the end of the throw. This always results in a bad throw. You need to keep your hands apart so that the net will open. Easier said then done when you have to throw a bunch of times to get bait. If I can not catch enough before I get really tired then I usually give up on bait fishing and go try something else. That lead gets heavy after a while.

The combination of these two mean that you should take care to make your throws count. Find shad with the depthfinder or your eyes first, then set your net up correctly, and make good throws. I rarely get better with more throws on the water. If I can fill the bait well within about 10 throws (but preferably 1 or 2 throws) then all is good. If I mess up a bunch of those first 10, it is usually a lost cause by 30 or 40 throws.

All that said, cast nets are fun and super effective for catching shad. If you like to use live or cut baits, they will save you a ton in bait costs. Plus if you find the shad, you will usually find the predators. Also, it is an interesting learning experience to understand the daily and seasonal movement of shad.

Good luck on learning your cast net. It is worth it for sure.

Jim

PS - Be careful throwing a cast net in current. A snag is bad news when the net is tight around your wrist and the boat is moving. This is a big issue if you throw a net around a dam with all the current. The neoprene wrist band is way better than the self-tightening loop on your wrist.

tkwalker
01-21-2014, 12:51 AM
Thanks Jim ... Great info .. and to be honest I haven't thought about cast nets in a while ... I guess do to my age and can't remember #### anymore unless I write it down , and then I forget where I left the note... The wife and I attended a Seminar in East Tennessee Held by a Eastern Striper Club ... The guest speaker and was also a renowned Cast net Thrower from South Carolina held school for us one Saturday around 2001 ...

Before I left I, as well as my 145 pound wife could throw the max Tennessee legal size net .. 10 ft. radius/20 foot dia. ... cast net ... His method was Asian ... Nothing was in your mouth ... We could pitch this net from a launch from between our legs as well from the arms and after a little practice ... with a full envelope 80% of the time ...

I purchased all of my nets from Memphis Net and Twine ... I used menhaden nets only .. Not light .. but very effective ... The larger the net ...means less throws ... Also more expensive to replace when you rip them on bottom structure, especially around Dams with hidden Rebar ... such as Cordell Hull ... I can tell you where ever one of those are ... :eek:

The down side of pitching big nets is #1 Safety .. Always carry a sheath Knife chest high on your body that can be reached easily when yanked off deck by these nets ... (Also wear a CO2 vest )It happened to me twice and the knives and vest saved My life twice...

The nets are used for catching Gizzard shad ... Didn't care about threadfins ... (to small for my application) And you can't catch Skippies in a cast net ... It is rare !! ... So after wearing out my Rotary Cuffs and getting older ... Had to get smarter ... Got tired about worrying over finding bait early every morning...

So that is when I bought My 300 gal refrigerated tanks (high $$) and bought farm trout for bait ... Now we would still catch Skippies ... This was half the fun for my clients ...

Hope this little insight on cast nets helps ... But there are many methods for throwing Nets ... And you do not have to throw the largest ... Do your research ... And good luck ... BUT BE SAFE IN A RIVER ENVIROMENT !! <'TK>< :)

Jim
01-21-2014, 01:43 AM
The down side of pitching big nets is #1 Safety .. Always carry a sheath Knife chest high on your body that can be reached easily when yanked off deck by these nets ... (Also wear a CO2 vest )It happened to me twice and the knives and vest saved My life twice...

Yikes! I will have to keep a knife handy. I always worry about this around the dams as it is hard to rip a net out of a snag. I bet that scared the **** out of you when you got pulled over!

As for techniques of throwing the nets, I have no idea where my method came from, but it is not a teeth or shoulder method. Just have to spin the net when loading. I think putting a net full of lead in my mouth is nuts! No need to lose teeth over a few shad :)

I typically have carried an 8, 6, and 4 ft net in the boat. But I destroyed my 8 footer in the spring and have been using the 6 ft net a lot this year. The 4 ft net is small mesh and good for creek minnows or small shad. A standard 6 ft 3/8 net will catch lots of big gizzard shad, but not in water deeper than about 6 ft. They will just swim out from under it. It is great in shallow water and really easy to throw.

If I get back to fishing the dams a lot, a big net will be on the replacement list. On the lake side, look in shallow coves with mud bottoms for shad. These are the easiest places to find them. Plus the snags are usually pretty obvious and easy to avoid.

Jim

tkwalker
01-21-2014, 02:00 AM
Yikes! I will have to keep a knife handy. I always worry about this around the dams as it is hard to rip a net out of a snag. I bet that scared the **** out of you when you got pulled over!

As for techniques of throwing the nets, I have no idea where my method came from, but it is not a teeth or shoulder method. Just have to spin the net when loading. I think putting a net full of lead in my mouth is nuts! No need to lose teeth over a few shad :)

I typically have carried an 8, 6, and 4 ft net in the boat. But I destroyed my 8 footer in the spring and have been using the 6 ft net a lot this year. The 4 ft net is small mesh and good for creek minnows or small shad. A standard 6 ft 3/8 net will catch lots of big gizzard shad, but not in water deeper than about 6 ft. They will just swim out from under it. It is great in shallow water and really easy to throw.

If I get back to fishing the dams a lot, a big net will be on the replacement list. On the lake side, look in shallow coves with mud bottoms for shad. These are the easiest places to find them. Plus the snags are usually pretty obvious and easy to avoid.

Jim

Jim, I think we are on the same track ... The method was kind of a waste high Hold and launch ... nothing on the shoulders and nothing in the teeth ... The whole concept was the gathering of the lead line and release points ... <'TK>< :)

Jdkxtreme
01-21-2014, 08:55 AM
There needs to be a seminar at the gathering for the rookies. :)

TNBronzeback
01-21-2014, 09:02 AM
all great info guys, thanks alot!. the net we have i believe is an 8ft. dia net.
Im just not consistant with it, i will have 1 good throw, then follow it up with 4-5 "bananas". i have the general concept with the shoulder method, its just a matter of taking it to a lake and just practicing with it till i have the right form and release.
good thing we got to the water so early that day, it took us half the morning (totally missing the first light bite) to get just a small handful of shad! LOL.
its funny cause we spent 2-3 hours gathering 5-6 shad, all crabby and tired and wet the whole time, but once we made that first drift and i hammered my first 12lb-er, it made it all OK! lol.

Saltwaterwalt
01-21-2014, 09:45 AM
There needs to be a seminar at the gathering for the rookies. :)

I'm for that! I bought a cast net two years ago, threw it a few dozen times and realized how bad I sucked at it, and THREW it into my garage, where it still remains...lol. Yeah, I'd be all over some instructions!

TNBronzeback
01-21-2014, 10:49 AM
I'm for that! I bought a cast net two years ago, threw it a few dozen times and realized how bad I sucked at it, and THREW it into my garage, where it still remains...lol. Yeah, I'd be all over some instructions!

I will be right next to ya! im not too proud to say i need some help!
conveniently the 1 thing that is most important when trying to catch stripers is the bait, so if you cant get priority 1 figured out, ya might as well take up another hobby! LOL.
i still laugh about that morning (and cry). stripers, big ones, busting the surface, boiling up and down the river and here we were like a couple of tools throwing a 8ft. dia. net so i opens up the size of a paper plate for several hours in the backs of some creeks increasingly get more and more annoyed, cause your wet, muddy, sore so none of that helps your focus so the harder you throw that mono death trap, the lesser its opening up! LOL....we eventually got it, for the most part.
im not horrible at it, but it could be alot better for sure.

DPowell
01-22-2014, 12:29 PM
Gizzard and trout through the nose skips in the back. My hook up ratio is much better. Remember they eat bait head first. A big striper can swallow a large skip in a sec. Through the back will also reduce the chance of a gut hook on a trophy fish. The adults skips are more hardier then the juveniles and will live longer. Plus I like big skips better anyways. If you can catch skips in cooler water they will be more healthy and live longer just like other bait. In the summer ice your tank water down. It will make a difference. When you first catch your skips do 2 to 3 water changes pretty quickly. It will make a difference. I have kept skips in my boat tank for up to 24 hrs and my home tank for 4 days. Fresh bait is always better of course. Trout are ok but I will take 4 skips that I worked 2 hrs to get over 20 store bought trout any day. The biggest key to keeping jacks alive is plenty of room to swim + lots of oxygen.

nomad60
01-22-2014, 02:39 PM
Dang...I just bought 2 cast nets; a 4' and a 8' radius. I had every intention of learning in the back yard so I could catch some live bait for striper but after reading this thread I think I'll just send them back to BP and get a refund LOL. With my blooper fishing trips, I can just see me going overboard during a throw.

commdd
01-22-2014, 03:27 PM
here is a youtube video of a lake texoma striper guide and how he throws a 9 ft net..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1fGhRfqZOQ

tacklemake
01-22-2014, 07:22 PM
If you want to learn how to throw a cast net I have three that I will bring to the gathering and a small tv and a tape on throwing a cast net. Just let me know before the gathering..................woody

tacklemake
01-22-2014, 08:28 PM
I like to use circle hooks when live lining and I put it in the shad or Skipjack mouth and bring it up through one nostril and out. Don't jerk the rod to set the hook just reel in the line until you feel him on the line then pull back on the rod while cracking the fish in. If you use a float watch how the bait is swimming, if it swims in a circle around the float it will tangle you up. If the bait comes up on top of the water running get ready that striper is under it. If you live line without the float in deep water with open spool watch the line if it feeds out slowly it's just swimming around but if it's ripping through the eyes on the rod it's a good chance the striper is on...........woody

skillet
08-30-2016, 09:01 PM
Just wanted to bring this thread to the top so some other people can see it. 😂😂👍🏼

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrian
08-31-2016, 01:26 AM
Just get yourself a 5 or 6 foot net, much easier to control. I use the method in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWi46m_pC4E

Keep your net untangled, that's the #1 key to success. #2 I find the net opens better if I keep my elbow straight on my throwing arm. #3 is see #1

Good Luck!