PDA

View Full Version : Tim's Crappie 1/18

JandSCattleCo
01-19-2014, 10:20 PM
Well the first crappie tournament of the year is in the books. Left Devils Step ramp on Tim’s Ford this morning at 9am. We were supposed to Blast Off at 7am, but due to the sub freezing temperatures, aka 17F, the weigh master moved it from 7-3 to 9-4.

Here’s how it all went down. Spent last night rigging each pole differently. Browning ultralight went with bison colored panfish magnet on black 1/64 size 8 jig. One 12′ went with Danumeluer rig. Two 12′ with red Tru-Turn 2 hooks with slip bobbers, beads and split shot weight. One 12′ went with drop shot rig with 2 Tru-Turn hooks also. It was cold in the garage, enough that I ran my little Buddy heater. Well, I spent 20 minutes rigging up a pole, went to secure the hook to my hook keeper, and the line comes off in my hand!?!? Apparently when you get 8# line remotely near a heat source, it just melts in 2! Oh well, got that fixed and hit the sack.

Saturday morning, 6:30am. Get up, get the coffee running, hook up the boat and hit the road by 7:15. Rolling down the interstate and past Arnold AFB. Hit the gas station at Woods and fill the boat with fuel. No minnows. None, zip, zilch. Get through Decherd and Winchester and stop at the last gas station before Devil’s Step. Get three dozen minnows and file in line behind the other guys in the crappie club.

At the ramp, I get the boat ready and back down. Tracy says he’ll pull the truck out, and I head down to get in. I get in all right, right in the WATER! Get up off the ice, fall again. Sit and scoot up the ramp and get up. Start to get on the boat and slip AGAIN! Finally, finally get on the boat, fire the motor and she starts on the second turn of the key.

I get backed down, and realize I forgot my life vest in the truck. Start fishing and go everywhere on Tim’s Ford. Trolling, dock shooting, long lining, jigging. NOTHING. Again. Nothing. When I was shooting docks I had an owner cuss me because “this is the reason I have lures stuck all over my boat!”

I tried the drift sock. Still trying to figure out how it works. All it did today was irritate me. Put it in, drift just as fast. Why didn’t it work? Just something else I can add to my list of things to learn. Fighting the wind is not fun in the least. Even with it only 10-13mph. Reading today, it seems with the water temperature the best thing I’m supposed to do is find bait fish at the mouth of tributaries.

Weighed in a big whopping zero fish today. The winning fisherman had a 1.88 # big fish and a 7 fish stringer of approximately 8 pounds.

I caught a face full of wind, zero fish, and burned a tank of fuel, but all in all it was a great experience. I’m learning alot and meeting some great people along the way.

agelesssone
01-19-2014, 11:29 PM
That sounds like a frustrating day when you try everything you know to do and still wind up with a big fat zero. Sounds like a few of my December forays. I'd fish for five hours and catch one bluegill.

Hopefully you learned something so the whole trip wasn't a waste.
I'm going to hit GSP in the morning to catch some WEB's (WHAT EVER BITES).

TNBronzeback
01-20-2014, 12:02 AM
It may sound petty, but i wish people would SLOWLY pull thier trailers out of the water limiting the amount they drag up the ramp causing a sheet of ice in the winter. Some guys get thier boat off the trailer then hit the nitros oxide like jaws is after them dragging water 50 ft up the ramp for the next guy to try and deal with. Just pull out slow so the water has a chance to run off the trailer a little. I understand its not gonna keep the ramps bone dry but it would certainly reduce the amount.
Ive busted my rear a few times and with all the warm clothes its a challenge to get back up especially with busted pride after falling in front of your buddy! lol

Alphahawk
01-20-2014, 12:38 AM
Sounds like a very tough day......but a learning experience. Dealt with the ice on the ramp after trailers just pull a ton of water out.....no fun. Crappie fishing can humble the best.....they can just be tough.

Regards

Transplanted Sportsman
01-20-2014, 09:27 PM
well dang Josh, I hate it for you man!!, did you get to fish with Mr Farmer??, I know for their posts and talking to some of the MTCC guys while on Normandy that Tims can be a very tough place to catch Crappie even for folks who fish it regularly and some of them seasoned guys really have a togh time bringing fish to the weigh in, better luck next time!!