PDA

View Full Version : Winter Fishing Gloves?

jad2t
01-19-2014, 09:58 AM
Need some advice on this one from those of you who have a good pair. Blink and I went to GSP Saturday morning, it was 17 when we got in the water. Besides ice all over everything in our kayaks, iced rod tips, frozen reels, etc. it actually wasn't that bad. I'm a lot tougher than I thought with that kind of weather. The issue though, was my hands.

I didn't mind they they were so cold it hurt but I did mind that after a few hours I began to not be able to use them. As funny as it sounds, it took me almost 20 minutes when I got to land to pee because unzipping and zipping up was almost impossible haha. I literally had zero strength in my hands to do anything. I have some gloves but they are bulky and still won't keep temps that cold away from my fingers.

Really bulky gloves would keep them nice and toasty and work great for hunting but are not very conducive to casting a fishing rod. Any advice here? Anyone use gloves that are nice and toasty but thin enough to fish with (including thumbing a baitcaster)?

Hammy
01-19-2014, 10:08 AM
I bought a pair of these the other day. Not so much for fishing with but mainly for paddling my kayak.

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/tools-and-equipment/classics/gloves-neoprene-fish-grip

Anyone have thoughts on these?

Hammy

Alphahawk
01-19-2014, 10:28 AM
Jimmy I don't fish much in that kind of weather anymore but when I did the only thing that would get my hands back to a decent warmth were the hand warmer packets. I would have one in each coat pocket. I tried all kinds of gloves and since I didn't use them to actually fish with they weren't much help.....just couldn't fish with a glove on. Once your hands get as cold as you mentioned I could never warm them up with a glove...but the hand warmers did the trick. After casting and or catching a while I would just put hands in the pockets with hand warmers and they soon warmed up and I was ready to go again in just a few minutes.

Regards

nomad60
01-19-2014, 10:40 AM
Jimmy I don't fish much in that kind of weather anymore but when I did the only thing that would get my hands back to a decent warmth were the hand warmer packets. I would have one in each coat pocket. I tried all kinds of gloves and since I didn't use them to actually fish with they weren't much help.....just couldn't fish with a glove on. Once your hands get as cold as you mentioned I could never warm them up with a glove...but the hand warmers did the trick. After casting and or catching a while I would just put hands in the pockets with hand warmers and they soon warmed up and I was ready to go again in just a few minutes.

Regards

X2

Gloves do me no good at all and I have tried them all, it seems. I do the same thing Alpha spoke of; I open and shake these up before I leave the house so that by the time I hit the water they are nice and warm. One or two in each pocket does the trick.

http://www.amazon.com/HotHands-Hand-Warmers-40-pairs/dp/B0007ZF4OA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390145920&sr=8-2&keywords=hand+warmers

tacklemake
01-19-2014, 11:15 AM
I use hand warmers all the time, the little package that you put in your pocket or inside your gloves. You can buy a thin pair of work gloves and cut the tips off the thumbs and first fingers that way you have some warmth in your hands. If you wear waders try putting kitchen garbage bags inside your boots before you put them on. You will find out that they help keep your feet warm and make it easer to taking them off and make sure you put your feet inside the garbage bag and not on top of the bag. It also helps to keep your feet dry if you spring a leak in your boots...............woody

Travis C.
01-19-2014, 11:39 AM
When its that cold i always keep a couple pair of gloves on my body just down in front of my waders to stay warm/dry. Then swap out as needed. Hot hands work great too for staying warm. I also have a pair of -30 below waterproof neoprene gloves that i paddle in or use to actually warm my hands up in. Drawback is they can make them sweat even in really cold air if you don't watch out. Most of the time i just use my buffs gloves to fish in then the others to warm my hands as needed.

Buccaneer
01-19-2014, 01:04 PM
I recommend these - http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=8X3A&adv=127748&cm_mmc=plas-_-FlyFishing-_-8X3A-_-127748&kpid=8X3A-10-53&cagpspn=pla

TNBronzeback
01-19-2014, 02:09 PM
That was always a problem ice fishing up in michigan.
The best thing that we found that worked for us was the Elk Skin Chopper Mittens from Cabelas. The problem with any gloves that ive ever tried is there is no body heat to keep your fingers warm as every digit is isolated, were as mittens, you have your hand and 4 fingers emitting heat thus keeping even the very tips of your fingers warm. Buy them big so you can slide them on and off withouth the use of your other hand. We caked on a product called SnoSeal then "baked" it into the leather with a hair dryer making them 100% waterproof.
So for fishing, you wouldnt be able to "use" the mittens but go as long as you can while fishing, take a short break, blow a few good hot breaths into the mittens to warm them up before you slide your hands in and your hands will be super toasty in just a few seconds. And since they are water proof, if you dropped them on the ice or in the hole, the lining wouldnt get wet, so for kayaking they would be gret for paddling. They are pricy, about $60 a pair but ive had mine going on about 20 years and are still like new. Just seal them with SnoSeal every season and your ready to rock.

Pookie
01-19-2014, 02:42 PM
http://www.mackspw.com/ItemImages/Large/AVE0177.jpg

This ^ couple with the handwarmer packets is the best thing I have been able to come up with. They are $20.00 @ http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-AVE0177S

agelesssone
01-19-2014, 03:04 PM
I bought a pair of these the other day. Not so much for fishing with but mainly for paddling my kayak.

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/tools-and-equipment/classics/gloves-neoprene-fish-grip

Anyone have thoughts on these?

Hammy

Hammy, I've got a pair of those and they are garbage. They are coming apart at the seams and they have been worn very little. Under the stress you'll put on them paddling a kayak, they will come apart very quickly.

Plus they have slots in them and water gets in them very easily.
My best way to warm up the hands is to have the hand muff and put some hand warmer paks in there. Hands get cold, stick them in there for a minute and you're good to go.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-MT-reg-Extreme-II-Handwarmer-Muff/1222313.uts?productVariantId=3361490&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=1222313&rid=40&channel=GoogleBaseUSA&mr:trackingCode=B57E240F-C49E-E011-9A77-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=30640489391&mr:keyword&mr:match&mr:filter=57964504031&gclid=CPHisIyHi7wCFWJo7AodsggAUA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hammy
01-19-2014, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the info on the Berkley gloves. I'll take them back for a refund.

Thats why I post here on this site . to gain and give thoughts and opinions and feed back.

Thanks guys.

Hammy

nomad60
01-19-2014, 04:57 PM
My best way to warm up the hands is to have the hand muff and put some hand warmer paks in there. Hands get cold, stick them in there for a minute and you're good to go.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-MT-reg-Extreme-II-Handwarmer-Muff/1222313.uts?productVariantId=3361490&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=1222313&rid=40&channel=GoogleBaseUSA&mr:trackingCode=B57E240F-C49E-E011-9A77-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=30640489391&mr:keyword&mr:match&mr:filter=57964504031&gclid=CPHisIyHi7wCFWJo7AodsggAUA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks, agelessone. I just ordered that and I'm sure it'll do me right. I have bad circulation in my fingertips due to being a smoker (yeah, I know) so once my hands get wet/cold, it's hard to get them back warmed up. This hand muff plus the hand warmers should be the ticket.

jad2t
01-19-2014, 09:28 PM
I think Merv's idea is best. Looks like I know what I'm ordering from Cabelas next!

agelesssone
01-19-2014, 11:38 PM
I've got all my warm clothes laid out, my muff is in the truck with two big body warmers in it, ready to be opened in the morning before I leave the garage.

I have two Phace Savers for the chilly boat ride from Flippers, baclava, five pairs of gloves of varying thickness, and I'll put on a Frogg Togg jacket over my insulated jacket just to keep the moisture from soaking in.

I'M READY!

Reel Tune
01-20-2014, 09:57 AM
The best things have been brought up, but not in one post. With kayaking and fishing you are constantly exposed to the elements (cold, wet, and water).

Woody brought up garbage bags. This is a great idea, but garbage bags on your hands are useless. Rubber, or latex gloves like the surgical gloves, or mechanics gloves but must be rubber or latex. Water is a killer, once your hands are cold they are the most susceptible to getting cold and once they get cold they are very difficult to get warm again. So to keep your hands from getting wet and having the flexibility, and precision without any bulk the latex or rubber will help greatly. Keep your hands completely dry. Bring multiple pair and change immediately if you get a hole in one, allow no water to touch your hands.

Travis mentioned several pair of gloves which is another great idea, and keep them in your pants on inside your jacket next to your body.

Sarah uses one of those things like Merv, and Pookie posted up. Put a few hand warmers in there and you're good to go, but with your hands in there you cannot paddle or fish. They do keep your hands warm, but only if your hands are in there.

Transplanted Sportsman
01-20-2014, 09:43 PM
fingerless wool mittens, they will continue to warm your hands even when wet and when you flip the mitten tip to expose the fingers it doubles as a hand warmer pocket, these were the only thing that would keep my hands toasty while bowhutnig in the winter

Travis C.
01-20-2014, 10:22 PM
fingerless wool mittens, they will continue to warm your hands even when wet and when you flip the mitten tip to expose the fingers it doubles as a hand warmer pocket, these were the only thing that would keep my hands toasty while bowhutnig in the winter

I carry two pair "on me" in my waders when it's pretty cold out. A pair like you are talking about and a pair that are identical but made of a waterproof/windproof material instead of wool.