PDA

View Full Version : Doug Markham's Outdoors tomorrow

fishfindergeneral
01-17-2014, 02:09 PM
Just a little heads up. I'll be one of Doug's guests tomorrow morning. We'll be discussing winter smallmouth, muskies and walleye. Plus February fishing forecasts for Dale Hollow. It's on 99.7 or can be caught on I Heart Radio

Reel Tune
01-17-2014, 02:27 PM
That's cool. Are you going to be live in the studio? I'll definitely tune in to check it out. Do you know your time span, or is it a complete show?

fishfindergeneral
01-17-2014, 02:36 PM
I'll be on around 6 am, I think i'm doing the whole show in early April or late March. Tomorrow is just a segment.

txnative
01-17-2014, 02:40 PM
Good, now I can listen to something I'm interested in as I drive to work instead of the water.

Chris Bryant

fishfindergeneral
01-17-2014, 02:45 PM
Ouch, I feel for you Bro. I'm actually working tomorrow after the show too.

fishfindergeneral
01-17-2014, 02:47 PM
Let me ask you something, do those rock fish pull you around pretty good on those yaks?

Reel Tune
01-17-2014, 03:01 PM
Once you get over 25# stripers they start pulling real good. Sometimes in heavy current the smaller ones 15# or so can turn you where they want you.

txnative
01-17-2014, 03:12 PM
Let me ask you something, do those rock fish pull you around pretty good on those yaks?

Depending on size and each fish's behavior. Most of the 10 lb and under will spin me around a lot, some take me for a short sleigh ride. The fish from 20 lbs up definitely will tow the 'yak. Add current, a bit of depth to the water, and plenty of dissolved oxygen...better buckle up 'cause you're in for a ride.

When the spillways are open enough to draw fish up below dams in summer is when I tend to get pulled most, not always downstream, either. Best sleigh ride for me was a massive Caney Fork striper that pulled me a loooooong ways AGAINST current before burying in a submerged tree. I couldn't do anything to control the fish with my 9 wt fly rod. Worst part of it all was that I could see the #### fish the entire fight, so I knew exactly how big it was. I've never really gotten over losing it, either. I always find myself thinking "what if I had tried...."

For all the power of a striper, trout are actually harder to land (not stocker sized, I'm referring to meat eaters). They'll stay just out of reach and spin you, go under the kayak, jump, thrash...then run out some line and repeat the process.

Chris Bryant

fishfindergeneral
01-17-2014, 03:25 PM
Now that sounds like fun!

olddognewtrick
01-17-2014, 06:43 PM
Now that sounds like fun!

Ditto!

MNfisher
01-17-2014, 07:02 PM
for all the power of a striper, trout are actually harder to land (not stocker sized, i'm referring to meat eaters). They'll stay just out of reach and spin you, go under the kayak, jump, thrash...then run out some line and repeat the process.

Chris bryant

agreed!!!!

Transplanted Sportsman
01-17-2014, 07:12 PM
Doug has a good show!, I make sure I will tune in tomorrow!!, Chris you make me want really hard to try for those striped torpedos on steriods!!!

txnative
01-17-2014, 07:22 PM
Doug has a good show!, I make sure I will tune in tomorrow!!, Chris you make me want really hard to try for those striped torpedos on steriods!!!

Anytime you want to take a crack at 'em, let me know.

Chris Bryant

fishfindergeneral
01-17-2014, 07:31 PM
Chris, have you ever had those big bows porpoise on you. In the lake, 6 to 12 lbers will sometimes come out of the water nose first at go back in nose first repeatedly. Most of the smallie guys don't believe me when I say I'd rather fight a big bow than a big smallie...

FLBasser
01-17-2014, 07:39 PM
Speaking of stripers, anybody going to GSP in the morning or Sun morning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Transplanted Sportsman
01-17-2014, 07:45 PM
Anytime you want to take a crack at 'em, let me know.

Chris Bryant

Yes Sir, thanks for the invite!, I'm afraid I do not have anything big enough to throw at them or handle them with once they do bite, but a good yak towing trip sure sound like a lot of fun, yikes!!!

txnative
01-17-2014, 08:10 PM
Chris, have you ever had those big bows porpoise on you. In the lake, 6 to 12 lbers will sometimes come out of the water nose first at go back in nose first repeatedly. Most of the smallie guys don't believe me when I say I'd rather fight a big bow than a big smallie...

Nope, but I haven't had a lot of experience with 6-12 lb rainbows, either ;)

The biggest rainbow I've caught was around 7-7.5 lbs and it pretty much stayed down and acted like a striper. I have had browns go ballistic and launch like a missile repeatedly, almost as if they were on a pogo stick.

I can understand the choice of 'bow over smallie. Trout hit harder, jump higher, move faster, and are less predictable than the weather in Middle Tn during spring. I love smallies, but I have a soft spot for any species of fish that routinely break my lures.

Chris Bryant

txnative
01-17-2014, 08:13 PM
Yes Sir, thanks for the invite!, I'm afraid I do not have anything big enough to throw at them or handle them with once they do bite, but a good yak towing trip sure sound like a lot of fun, yikes!!!

I have gear you can use/abuse.

Chris Bryant

Transplanted Sportsman
01-18-2014, 08:15 AM
I have gear you can use/abuse.

Chris Bryant

Well thanks Chris!, this almost sounds like a guided fishing trip!, maybe in the next few weeks let me know what would be a good day for you and see if we can work out a day, thanks again!

txnative
01-18-2014, 08:43 AM
I don't have anything besides work on my schedule for the next few weeks. I'll be out pretty much every weekend and may during the week, if work allows.

We can plan on next weekend. I think TravisC may join us, so I will need to figure out what works best for us as far as which day. Let me know if you're available, and I will go over details via pm once we establish a date.

Chris Bryant

Dakota
01-18-2014, 09:19 AM
Just a little heads up. I'll be one of Doug's guests tomorrow morning. We'll be discussing winter smallmouth, muskies and walleye. Plus February fishing forecasts for Dale Hollow. It's on 99.7 or can be caught on I Heart Radio

Is there a replay online where I can listen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Alphahawk
01-18-2014, 09:34 AM
Is there a replay online where I can listen?

Not anymore. Used to be on Podcast but that stopped a while back. It's live only now.

Regards

fishfindergeneral
01-18-2014, 09:40 AM
I'll be doing the whole show in a few weeks and it can be listened to on I Heart Radio app for phones. That's how I usually catch it my self.

Dakota
01-18-2014, 09:56 AM
Ok I use that app thanks.

fishfindergeneral
01-18-2014, 07:32 PM
Ill give y'all a heads up when I get the date so those of you that want to tune in, can and those that don't want to, can avoid it. ;)