PDA

View Full Version : In lieu of all the hostility

jallen67
01-14-2014, 06:22 PM
Just thought I would throw out something positive with all the negativity going around lately. A while back I posted a thread looking for a fly rod. Travis C. responded that he had one that I could have. He wouldn't let me pay and just gave it to me. Told me that he's been helped some along the way and to pay it forward. Something I definitely want to do in the future. I'm very appreciative of this.

In the few months of being on this site I've expanded my fishing knowledge and am thankful for that. I'm sure all of us have learned more from everyone's input on this forum at some point or another. Hope we all can take a lesson from Travis C. and pay it forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fish Whisperer
01-14-2014, 06:52 PM
Travis is a good guy. I bought a bunch of stick baits that were sitting in his garage that are now sitting in my garage.... I need to use em soon.

Travis C.
01-14-2014, 07:17 PM
I bought a bunch of stick baits that were sitting in his garage that are now sitting in my garage.... I need to use em soon.

Hey... they could have done that here. :D

jallen- did the fish ever start biting the other day?

Thanks for the kind words guys.

jallen67
01-14-2014, 07:21 PM
Not at all. Not one hit. Went out to Nice Mill Sunday and the water was raging there. Maybe next time...

tkwalker
01-15-2014, 03:39 AM
Travis has been a member for almost 7 years ... He is at the top of the chart when it comes to helping other members ... He has devoted himself to help other members in any type of circumstances ... Travis .. Thank you Sir ... You are an Asset to FishingTN.com .... <'TK>< :)

Hammy
01-15-2014, 07:25 AM
Tk, do you ever sleep? or do you make a habit of checking the forum in the middle of the night? Today, 02:39 AM

Hammy

Reel Tune
01-15-2014, 08:04 AM
Travis is one of the kindest, most generous folks on here. A true family man willing to help others. Having people like him here is what makes Fishing TN a great place to spend some time and get away from reality.

MNfisher
01-15-2014, 08:15 AM
Travis is one of the kindest, most generous folks on here. A true family man willing to help others. Having people like him here is what makes Fishing TN a great place to spend some time and get away from reality.

Agreed, Travis has helped me with many questions about different techniques and fish we want to pursue. It has been great helping each other out!

txnative
01-15-2014, 08:21 AM
I consider Travis to be a close personal friend. We talk on the phone daily about everything from our kids, to football, to his attempts to catch striper, and my frustrations with Muskie. He is a great guy and a storehouse of fishing info. He's helped me out in the past and I've been lucky enough to return some of the favor by putting him on his first hybrid...though I think I passed my striper addiction to him inadvertently ;)

This forum is full of good people. Recent posts on other threads may not look good to a passing eye, but these things happen in a close community...even the best of families have their squabbles. In a few days, I think all the talk will be back on fishing as per usual...well, maybe except for Sambolie, he'll still be firing out one-liners :)

Chris Bryant

jad2t
01-15-2014, 08:31 AM
Yep, Travis gave me lots of advice on landing a large brown trout in the Caney. After several PMs I went there a couple summers ago, late at night, and waded throwing a rainbow trout patterned jerkbait. The bats creep me out. Hooked into a 22" brown on 8lb test, what a fight! Biggest brown to date! I remember mentioning in the thread that he helped me understand how and when they feed.

SAMBOLIE
01-15-2014, 08:51 AM
I consider Travis to be a close personal friend. We talk on the phone daily about everything from our kids, to football, to his attempts to catch striper, and my frustrations with Muskie. He is a great guy and a storehouse of fishing info. He's helped me out in the past and I've been lucky enough to return some of the favor by putting him on his first hybrid...though I think I passed my striper addiction to him inadvertently ;)

This forum is full of good people. Recent posts on other threads may not look good to a passing eye, but these things happen in a close community...even the best of families have their squabbles. In a few days, I think all the talk will be back on fishing as per usual...well, maybe except for Sambolie, he'll still be firing out one-liners :)

Chris Bryant

Chris, you are so right about all the good people on this forum. I am from a family that had its' share of squabbles, however they always got resolved and family love prevailed.
We look back and realize that more often than not both sides
had good argument and it took compromise to resolve. It takes a bigger man to apologize than to hold a grudge.

With that being said I apologize if I have offended/irritated anyone with my off the wall comments.
Seriously, if anyone wants excellent fishing advice I will share if asked.:confused:

Almost forgot. I wish I knew Travis personally. He seems to be a super guy to have as a friend.

Pookie
01-15-2014, 09:03 AM
Tk, do you ever sleep? or do you make a habit of checking the forum in the middle of the night? Today, 02:39 AM

Hammy
You'll understand when you get older. ;)

It was suggested I limit my fluid intake after 7:00, but I'd rather just stay hydrated and get up the 3 or 4 times I usually do.

SAMBOLIE
01-15-2014, 09:11 AM
You'll understand when you get older. ;)

It was suggested I limit my fluid intake after 7:00, but I'd rather just stay hydrated and get up the 3 or 4 times I usually do.
Right on about getting older.
When older folks say they slept like a baby they really mean:
"Last night I slept like a baby. I woke up three times, wet myself twice and cried myself back to sleep each time"

agelesssone
01-15-2014, 09:37 AM
SAMBOLIE will always be SAMBOLIE!

We need at least one guy like him on here to let the rest of us realize that we really are sane.

But, having said that, I've got sooo many SAMBOLIE one liners sticking out of my back, I'll never, ever get even!

Travis C.
01-15-2014, 09:38 AM
Aww shucks guys, your making me

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/sad/crying-and-sniffling.gif (http://www.sherv.net/emoticons.html)

This is a great site that TK has here and I am glad to be a part of it. There are a lot of good people who aid in creating the family, fun and fishing atmosphere. I am just a small cog in a much bigger machine.

Travis C.
01-15-2014, 09:39 AM
When older folks say they slept like a baby they really mean: "Last night I slept like a baby. I woke up three times, wet myself twice and cried myself back to sleep each time"

LOL... you crack me up! :D

SAMBOLIE
01-15-2014, 09:44 AM

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/sad/crying-and-sniffling.gif (http://www.sherv.net/emoticons.html)

This is a great site that TK has here and I am glad to be a part of it. There are a lot of good people who aid in creating the family, fun and fishing atmosphere. I am just a small cog in a much bigger machine.

Travis, with all the praise your head must be swelling. If you replace your old caps with larger ones you could donate the old ones to Merv. Actually his head is shrinking. :)
U the man Travis.

txnative
01-15-2014, 09:59 AM
Travis, with all the praise your head must be swelling. If you replace your old caps with larger ones you could donate the old ones to Merv. Actually his head is shrinking. :)
U the man Travis.

If Travis' head gets too big, it'll cause balance issues in his kayak....so in an attempt to deflate it back to normal: Jan 5th, 2014 @ The Bar <inside joke>

Chris Bryant

SAMBOLIE
01-15-2014, 10:06 AM
If Travis' head gets too big, it'll cause balance issues in his kayak....so in an attempt to deflate it back to normal: Jan 5th, 2014 @ The Bar <inside joke>

Chris Bryant

lol. That yak already has a full load. With all the poles sticking up I wonder if he plans to put a sail on it.
Probably best not to share a bar joke. :) Or was that a coffee bar?

txnative
01-15-2014, 10:15 AM
lol. That yak already has a full load. With all the poles sticking up I wonder if he plans to put a sail on it.
Probably best not to share a bar joke. :) Or was that a coffee bar?

Totally G-rated joke..."The Bar" is the yellow barrier at the GSP. It's nicknamed that because we look like we are at a bar when we are fishing there: lined up on the same side, facing the same direction, doing the same thing, hoping for something to take what we are putting out...and usually cracking jokes and having a good time in the process. Another similarity is that there are regulars...like Norm from Cheers, I have "my" spot and most of the regulars keep it open for me, lol.

Chris Bryant

olddognewtrick
01-15-2014, 10:18 AM
It's a sushi bar.

SAMBOLIE
01-15-2014, 10:23 AM
Totally G-rated joke..."The Bar" is the yellow barrier at the GSP. It's nicknamed that because we look like we are at a bar when we are fishing there: lined up on the same side, facing the same direction, doing the same thing, hoping for something to take what we are putting out...and usually cracking jokes and having a good time in the process. Another similarity is that there are regulars...like Norm from Cheers, I have "my" spot and most of the regulars keep it open for me, lol.

Chris Bryant

Thanks for sharing that Chris. I never heard of the bar. Sounds like a lot of fun.

If you know who ever shows up at 'the bar' some might think Woody (from cheers) has arrived.

Travis C.
01-15-2014, 10:55 AM

Chris Bryant

LoL...

Sambolie its definitely G rated but not terribly far off from my younger days. Show up a the bar with hopes of hookin up only to go home empty handed saying must not have had my mojo that day.

:D

Jim
01-15-2014, 11:08 AM
Wow! All this talk about Travis must be about a different one than I know. The Travis I know is a low down, dirty rotten scoundrel. When we went fishing together he caught more fish than I did!

It was bad enough that he caught more fish than me, but he was so competitive that he also caught more fish than our kids. Unforgivable!

Here is a picture of two of our kids intensely focused on trying to out fish Travis.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Y5CkgdngbPg/UtavF89EgrI/AAAAAAAAAxg/6zYuZ-BbrMg/s800/IMG_0041.JPG

They grow up fast don't they Travis.

MNfisher
01-15-2014, 11:13 AM

Chris Bryant

When I was there, Txnative actually wrote his name in the frost on the bar, so when he paddled away to take a picture or relieve himself, no one could take his spot! Lol

SAMBOLIE
01-15-2014, 11:28 AM
When I was there, Txnative actually wrote his name in the frost on the bar, so when he paddled away to take a picture or relieve himself, no one could take his spot! Lol

Mike, I would like to spend some time at the bar just listening.
Most likely the bouncer would evict me because my reputation for destroying a fishery is well known. Just ask Alpha.

Travis C.
01-15-2014, 11:30 AM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Y5CkgdngbPg/UtavF89EgrI/AAAAAAAAAxg/6zYuZ-BbrMg/s800/IMG_0041.JPG

They grow up fast don't they Travis.

Wow, they sure do!

Need to that again some time. You know more about fish and their habits than anyone and I need to pick your brain about these striped mythical beasts.

agelesssone
01-15-2014, 11:39 AM
I'm thinking about hitting the bar this afternoon......

Is the fishing ok there in the afternoon?

Not looking for rockfish, just maybe some whites or tilapia.

For some reason I can't explain, I have no desire to catch either rockfish or hybrids. Well, maybe once in a great while, but definitely not species of main focus.

Please include GPS coordinates, perfect bait choices, depth to fish, # test of line to use, preferred color of any lures used, type of hooks, color of line, and how far should I cast past the bar?

Thank you very much for your assistance.

SAMBOLIE
01-15-2014, 11:48 AM

For some reason I can't explain, I have no desire to catch either rockfish or hybrids. Well, maybe once in a great while, but definitely not species of main focus.

Please include GPS coordinates, perfect bait choices, depth to fish, # test of line to use, preferred color of any lures used, type of hooks, color of line, and how far should I cast past the bar?

Take 4 or more rods. Use a different lure on each. Continuously troll the area experimenting with all types and colors of lures and line sizes at different depths.
Don't worry about those suckers in plastic boats as your outboard will leave them in the wake.
One more thought. Prior to leaving kiss the wife and daughter good bye and be sure your life insurance is paid to date. There just might be a faster boat mixed in with the plastics. :)
If you need additional info you can call or pm me.

Travis C.
01-15-2014, 11:51 AM
Yes to the first question Merv.

My tilapia and whites come from out by the buoys and adjacent banks on the Trout mag setup using white or brown for tilapia. 2lb or 4lb line. I did well on whites dragging the white TM about 2ft under a float around slowly but casting typical whites baits will work too.

MNfisher
01-15-2014, 12:02 PM
Mike, I would like to spend some time at the bar just listening.
Most likely the bouncer would evict me because my reputation for destroying a fishery is well known. Just ask Alpha.

I would be happy to take you sometime!

SAMBOLIE
01-15-2014, 12:11 PM
I would be happy to take you sometime!

Thanks Mike. I will likely get another kayak since I have sold my boat. I look forward to going with you.

txnative
01-15-2014, 12:29 PM

Yes, fishing is good in the afternoon. White bass are suckers for cranks like the size 5 shad rap in black back/silver or a 1/8-1/4 oz jig with a super fluke jr or similar bait in white or chartreuse. Fish the right bank (facing the GSP) from the barrier to the first tree that leans out over the water, casting past the barrier.

Tilapia are thick near either bank. Mealworms below a bobber are a good bait, but TM's are just as productive, I like mealworm (gold) or bison colors fished slowly under a TM float. Be sure to fish near the channel drop off in the mouth of the GSP for tilapia as well. The most important factor is to fish slow.

Chris Bryant

agelesssone
01-15-2014, 12:35 PM
TX, I will have to go VERY slowly then because most of the yaks would out run my boat.
Thanks for the info. If I get out, (wifey is talking straightening up my garage a bit, (I told her to go ahead) so the fishing plans may get put on hold for a day or two).

How can I shake off a striper if one hits? I've heard jad2t is pretty good at that, maybe I should send him a PM!

jad2t
01-15-2014, 12:37 PM
How can I shake off a striper if one hits? I've heard jad2t is pretty good at that, maybe I should send him a PM!

Haha we'll see what happens this weekend. That's one of my secret techniques that I won't share with anyone!

txnative
01-15-2014, 12:43 PM
TX, I will have to go VERY slowly then because most of the yaks would out run my boat.
Thanks for the info. If I get out, (wifey is talking straightening up my garage a bit, (I told her to go ahead) so the fishing plans may get put on hold for a day or two).

Most of the yak guys (about 99% of em) fish weekends only. You shouldn't have much company. As for the stripers, there are good odds that they'll try to take your rod out of your hands in the middle of a good white bass bite, happened to me last week :)

Chris Bryant

txnative
01-15-2014, 12:50 PM
If you want a good visual of where the white bass stack up, and a look at what I was using for their bigger cousins, check out my vid. It's about 1 minute in if you want to skip the boring striper fights ;)

http://youtu.be/6axrfk-c32s

Chris Bryant

agelesssone
01-15-2014, 01:26 PM
Cool video! Looks like you were wearing them out.

MNfisher
01-15-2014, 01:44 PM
Thanks Mike. I will likely get another kayak since I have sold my boat. I look forward to going with you.

I have a 12' aluminum V with a 9.9 that we could take also. That is if metal boats are allowed at the bar...guess it depends on who the bouncer is. Haha

SAMBOLIE
01-15-2014, 01:44 PM
If you want a good visual of where the white bass stack up, and a look at what I was using for their bigger cousins, check out my vid. It's about 1 minute in if you want to skip the boring striper fights ;)

http://youtu.be/6axrfk-c32s

Chris Bryant

Chris, what is the difference in the Rookin and the Super Fluke?

nomad60
01-15-2014, 02:21 PM

Don't sell yourself short. I've only been a member here for about 2 years but in that time, I have really learned a bunch about river fishing and a lot of that came directly from you. I remember how frustrated I was when I first started fishing current because I had no idea how to find the fish and you and several others pointed me in the right direction. Now I'm at a point where I feel pretty comfortable as far as being able to go out and catch LM, spotted and white bass. Still haven't caught a @*&%^)@#$% striper but that day is coming too :).

txnative
01-15-2014, 03:36 PM
Chris, what is the difference in the Rookin and the Super Fluke?

The Rookin is a solid soft-plastic swimbait with a paddle-tail, super fluke is straight-tailed and has the belly slit for using EWG hooks. The profile difference is pretty obvious, too. I've used both this winter, along with 4 and 6 inch sluggos in varying colors with good success. The weekend this video was made, the Rookin outperformed the others for reasons known only to the stripers. It seems that their preference regarding color, size, and bait profile changes slightly each time I go (averaging twice a week, 3 times if I can sneak out after work). I do like the durability of the Rookin vs. the super fluke and sluggo. Its a tougher plastic that still has nice action on the tail...not super wiggly, more subtle, like a shad that is being slowed down by the cooler water temps of winter.

The color I used is called "ghost shad," it's a light gray with super fine glitter mixed in the plastic. Chartreuse with the same glitter also worked in Sunday, but was useless Saturday...the water has stained up from the rains, so the higher visibility color came into play.

Regardless of lure choice, the retrieve has been the same, and it makes the single biggest difference. I've been catching fish after fish while others haven't had a hit numerous times, even using same lures I was (I know they were because I gave them the lures). It takes a definite "feel" that is easily explained, but hard to grasp if you aren't seeing it firsthand.

I can't really explain the subtleties via typed messages other than to say to make your lure act like a baitfish and ignore what YOU think the stripers are doing...don't think like a striper, instead act like a shad.

Chris Bryant

SAMBOLIE
01-15-2014, 05:35 PM
The Rookin is a solid soft-plastic swimbait with a paddle-tail, super fluke is straight-tailed and has the belly slit for using EWG hooks. The profile difference is pretty obvious, too. I've used both this winter, along with 4 and 6 inch sluggos in varying colors with good success. The weekend this video was made, the Rookin outperformed the others for reasons known only to the stripers. It seems that their preference regarding color, size, and bait profile changes slightly each time I go (averaging twice a week, 3 times if I can sneak out after work). I do like the durability of the Rookin vs. the super fluke and sluggo. Its a tougher plastic that still has nice action on the tail...not super wiggly, more subtle, like a shad that is being slowed down by the cooler water temps of winter.

The color I used is called "ghost shad," it's a light gray with super fine glitter mixed in the plastic. Chartreuse with the same glitter also worked in Sunday, but was useless Saturday...the water has stained up from the rains, so the higher visibility color came into play.

Regardless of lure choice, the retrieve has been the same, and it makes the single biggest difference. I've been catching fish after fish while others haven't had a hit numerous times, even using same lures I was (I know they were because I gave them the lures). It takes a definite "feel" that is easily explained, but hard to grasp if you aren't seeing it firsthand.

I can't really explain the subtleties via typed messages other than to say to make your lure act like a baitfish and ignore what YOU think the stripers are doing...don't think like a striper, instead act like a shad.

Chris Bryant

Chris, thanks for sharing all that info. When I first read it I thought you might be messing with me about the split tail on a super fluke. I thought my flukes might be fluked up because they have a paddle tail. Actually I was thinking about the swimming super fluke when I asked the question.
Of all the things you mentioned I think presentation of a bait is the key factor in getting strikes. I think this is evidenced by your catching when others were not.
I have baits that are at least 30 years old that look like the split tail fluke. Colors resemble shad or other fish. I also have baits that are somewhat triangular shaped with a paddle tail like the swimming super fluke. Some of these are definitely colors that the fish have not seen for years. I do not believe they were called flukes back then. They were generally stocked in loose boxes or bins (no packaging). I have slugos about that age also.
I doubt the Rookin is more durable than my flukes. Oh wait, mine have not been attacked by a fish.

Enough rambling. :):)

TNBronzeback
01-15-2014, 06:57 PM
My last 2 trips down there were both "action" days. I was throwing a 1/4 oz. Head and pearl with silver glitter Zoom (i think) fluke. Its a split belly narrow profile spit tail fluke but its really soft compared to others. I would let it hit bottom and really snap it up several times swimming it then let it hit bottom again. The stripers were chasing and the shad were busting so im sure that helped the hook-ups. Bro was in the boat with the same bait but working it more like a bass jig and he didnt get bit.
For getting as big as they do and eating the amount and size of bait they do, they sure can be finicky on what they hit. Lol....makes it fun when ya finally sting one!

Travis C.
01-15-2014, 08:09 PM
I've been catching fish after fish while others haven't had a hit numerous times, even using same lures I was (I know they were because I gave them the lures).

Chris Bryant

So what are you trying to say... yes, he is speaking of me in at least one instance. :D

He's got the striper lovin jiggle down for sure.

tacklemake
01-16-2014, 10:31 AM
I have a hollow bait that I'm going to put a 1" light stick inside that will glow for 8 hours and rig on a weighted hook flat not upright. That I'm going to test out at the GSP on Monday and I think I will take my Go Pro with me so I can put it on you tube.............woody

txnative
01-16-2014, 11:55 AM
I have a hollow bait that I'm going to put a 1" light stick inside that will glow for 8 hours and rig on a weighted hook flat not upright. That I'm going to test out at the GSP on Monday and I think I will take my Go Pro with me so I can put it on you tube.............woody

Sounds intriguing, look forward to the video.

Chris Bryant

TNBronzeback
01-16-2014, 01:41 PM

On a similar note, ive had great success jigging in the Detroit and St. Clair Rivers for walleyes with glow in the dark jigheads in deep, deep water, 40-50ft. just that little extra contrast helps the fish zero in on the bait in the right conditions. ofcourse the water up there is alot clearer than the Old Hickory/cumberland river but i would think it would have the same effect.
Good Luck Woody, im looking forward to hearing/seeing how it works out for ya!

tacklemake
01-16-2014, 08:54 PM
Almost all of my jigs and spinner heads are glow powder paint with UV powder paint mix in for more glow. With just glow the jig glows for about two minutes until it comes up in the sun light but with UV added it stays glowing as long as there is some light making it down to the jig and that helps. Now with rubber baits it's the same with the glow but using some baits don't have the glow so if it's hollow add the 1" light stick inside and it will glow brighter and up to 8 hours under water............woody

TNBronzeback
01-16-2014, 09:22 PM
I like that....make chartruse soft plastics even brighter!
are they fishing light sticks your using or a craft type glow stick?

tacklemake
01-16-2014, 11:19 PM
They are called FLO-GLO light sticks and they are used on your bobber or above your jig. Bass pro has them or you can get them from www.bettstackle.com (http://www.bettstackle.com) ................woody

Heiny57
01-17-2014, 07:30 AM
I must have missed all the hostility. :confused:

Hammy
01-17-2014, 08:27 AM
Woody, interesting , that link goes to their home page with no place to go or anything to look at after you get there.

Hammy

TNBronzeback
01-17-2014, 08:44 AM
Hammy,
i found the same thing, i think its .net. i looked at it last night so i dont remember now.

tacklemake
01-17-2014, 09:00 AM
I bought my light sticks at bass pro online and there is 4 in a pack.............woody

Hammy
01-17-2014, 09:42 AM
This one: http://www.bettstackle.net/

Hammy

tacklemake
01-17-2014, 09:50 AM
No just get it from bass pro..............woody

Travis C.
01-17-2014, 10:04 AM
No just get it from bass pro..............woody

I used to use the lights on floats for night time. One day I was walking out of Kroger and my daughter wanted her usual quarter machine toy. As I started to get her bubblegum noticed next to it was mini glow sticks the same size as the ones at Bass Pro for a quarter. I bought up several.

Hammy
01-17-2014, 10:47 AM
I used to use the lights on floats for night time. One day I was walking out of Kroger and my daughter wanted her usual quarter machine toy. As I started to get her bubblegum noticed next to it was mini glow sticks the same size as the ones at Bass Pro for a quarter. I bought up several. Travis http://www.fishingtn.com/images/buttons/quote.gif (http://www.fishingtn.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=44395)
Never know where things show up.

Hammy