PDA

View Full Version : Water temp. fish spawn

creekcrappie
01-13-2014, 07:37 PM
I am already looking forward spring fishing. What water temps should I start looking for fish to be shallow and looking to spawn. I am mainly looking at bass and crappie.

tacklemake
01-13-2014, 07:40 PM
I'm finding bass in shallow water now but there not spawning. I look for water temp around 55 and up.....woody

browntrout
01-13-2014, 07:48 PM
I'm finding bass in shallow water now but there not spawning. I look for water temp around 55 and up.....woody

X2!!!! Double nickels seems to be the magic number!!!

Roy

commdd
01-13-2014, 07:54 PM
here is a chart of spawning temps from TWRA..
http://www.tn.gov/twra/fish/FishFacts/spawn.html

Pinwheeled
01-13-2014, 07:54 PM
You can find shallow bass right now. I caught the fish in my avatar on January 25th last year. she was sitting on a little shelf that drops from 3 to 8ft of water. Water temp was in the low 40's.

Travis C.
01-13-2014, 07:58 PM
I would start searching in late Feb early March regardless of water temps. You can wait for the temps to be "right" but usually by then the bigger (trophy) bass have already beat you to the punch.

Also keep in mind that the whole lake won't go at the same time. I tend to start seriously looking once the water stays in the mid-upper fifties at sunrise. That and the next coming full moon's after. The temps at sunrise is a key component in my search. Don't let it being warm at sunset fool you into thinking they are ready still more night than day to cool this time of year until around mid-March. ;)

Travis C.
01-13-2014, 08:03 PM
You can find shallow bass right now. I caught the fish in my avatar on January 25th last year. she was sitting on a little shelf that drops from 3 to 8ft of water. Water temp was in the low 40's.

Usually by the time we are on this side of winter the water isn't changing a whole bunch and fish are used to having the cold water. That makes the little shallow pockets with rock so good due the heat they hold.

I think they get like us and tired of being cold all the time so they hunt shallow warm areas.

Nice bass by the way.

Pinwheeled
01-13-2014, 08:23 PM
Usually by the time we are on this side of winter the water isn't changing a whole bunch and fish are used to having the cold water. That makes the little shallow pockets with rock so good due the heat they hold.

I think they get like us and tired of being cold all the time so they hunt shallow warm areas.

Nice bass by the way.

My thoughts as well and thank you.