PDA

View Full Version : Oh 1/13/14

agelesssone
01-13-2014, 02:52 PM
Heading to try for some sauger below the dam. Little wet, but not too bad,
Will report catch, or lack of, later tonight.
Got my neighbor Bill along.

JandSCattleCo
01-13-2014, 05:09 PM
I still need to get one of these trips in with you!

XxthejuicexX
01-13-2014, 05:11 PM
Let us know, I am trying to make plans for this weekend. Either Crappie on JPP or sauger/anything at the steam plant or Sauger below JPP Dam or OH dam. I have my new elite 7 and want to test it out.

agelesssone
01-13-2014, 08:45 PM
Juice, your Elite 7 would be wasted below OHD. Better to use it on JPP.

The fish either were not there below OHD or else they were not in a cooperative mood. Me and a friend fished from 2:30-5:00. Tally was one sauger, 14.000375 inches long, one catfish 5.37622 inches long and one just a tad shorter than that!

Water temps 43.67 degrees, turbid.

Fished minnows on bare hook (caught the only sauger), 1 oz jig w/minnow, nada, blade bait, nada, jig with nightcrawler, Two catfish that together, totaled less then 12 inches.

Thought we would have caught some fish, but not to be.

I think I'll try GSP in the manana.

XxthejuicexX
01-13-2014, 08:49 PM
That stinks about the lack of fish today. I think I will just head to priest and see what I can catch, we did well a couple weeks ago so I hope we can find them again. Must be nice to fish any day you like huh?

agelesssone
01-13-2014, 09:00 PM
Juice, it is nice, but sometimes tough finding a partner to go along during the week.

So, a lot of times it is solo fishing.

Alphahawk
01-13-2014, 09:15 PM
Hey Merv...do you have the HD si transducer on your sonar?

Regards

XxthejuicexX
01-13-2014, 09:15 PM
My two fishing partners moved back home to Culleoka last fall so I started fishing solo this spring/summer and really don't mind it all that much. I cut the radio on and do my thing. It is nice having someone else in the boat, it's been nice fishing with my grandfather lately.

Alphahawk
01-13-2014, 09:22 PM
Juice, your Elite 7 would be wasted below OHD. Better to use it on JPP.

The fish either were not there below OHD or else they were not in a cooperative mood. Me and a friend fished from 2:30-5:00. Tally was one sauger, 14.000375 inches long, one catfish 5.37622 inches long and one just a tad shorter than that!

Water temps 43.67 degrees, turbid.

Fished minnows on bare hook (caught the only sauger), 1 oz jig w/minnow, nada, blade bait, nada, jig with nightcrawler, Two catfish that together, totaled less then 12 inches.

Thought we would have caught some fish, but not to be.

I think I'll try GSP in the manana.

Well good you got out......notice any shad kill?

Regards

agelesssone
01-13-2014, 10:33 PM
Hey Alpha,

Yes, I have the HD di SI on my 997 and HD di on the 597.

We mainly fished the lock area today. The posted flow on OH was 42,200. All the gates were open and there was generators running. We didn't venture over that way so don't know how many but that's where all the birds were congregating. LOTS of birds.
No shad kill by the locks, buts tons of them on the graphs, mostly holding from 8-11 ft deep.
The water temps last week were 39.6-40.67 in the lock area and about the same in the main river. Today it was more like 43+ but not past 44 degrees.

Don't know why we couldn't get any bites today. Fished the same areas as last week but today, nada. One sauger, two tiny catfish.

We watched some Hispanic looking fellas throwing their lines cattle roping style from the rocks and pulling in bluegills one after the other, nearly every throw. None of the gills looked to be bigger than 5-6 inches....but they all went into the bucket!

Alphahawk
01-13-2014, 10:42 PM
Hey Alpha,

Yes, I have the HD di SI on my 997 and HD di on the 597.

We mainly fished the lock area today. The posted flow on OH was 42,200. All the gates were open and there was generators running. We didn't venture over that way so don't know how many but that's where all the birds were congregating. LOTS of birds.
No shad kill by the locks, buts tons of them on the graphs, mostly holding from 8-11 ft deep.
The water temps last week were 39.6-40.4 in the lock area and about the same in the main river. Today it was more like 43+ but not past 44 degrees.

Don't know why we couldn't get any bites today. Fished the same areas as last week but today, nada. One sauger, two tiny catfish.

We watched some Hispanic looking fellas throwing their lines cattle roping style from the rocks and pulling in bluegills one after the other, nearly every throw. None of the gills looked to be bigger than 5-6 inches....but they all went into the bucket!

Getting ready to bust open I hope......if we don't get anymore of those single digit days. Makes one wonder why no fish under all that bait......but that goes that way sometime. Hopefully the water will stay about same temp. I am looking to get the 899 ci HD si and was just curious what is difference between the si transducer that comes with it standard and the HD si transducer...that I guess you have to pay extra for or swap out and pay something.

Regards

agelesssone
01-13-2014, 10:53 PM
Alpha, my 997 is an '07 model and didn't come with di. That was an upgrade free from Humminbird that I installed this year. Using the same transducer that came with my original unit.

Alphahawk
01-13-2014, 10:56 PM
Alpha, my 997 is an '07 model and didn't come with di. That was an upgrade free from Humminbird that I installed this year. Using the same transducer that came with my original unit.

OK thanks....I guess I will fire them off another PM...they have been good so far about answering questions. Just when I think I have all the info I want I come up with another question...LOL.

Regards

tkwalker
01-14-2014, 01:46 AM
Merv, I'm about ready for a shake down cruise on my new BIRD ... I would like to be familiar with it before Mikes Charity tourney on Feb 22nd ... What is best for you week days or weekends ... also I guess OH is about the closest or where would you like to go .... <'TK>< :)

agelesssone
01-14-2014, 02:07 AM
TK, I'd rather go on JPP since I am more familiar with that lake. Even though I live close to OH, I rarely fish it.

And, being retired, all the days are the same to me. Set a date and I'll see if it's compatible with my schedule. I'm pretty much open.

Thoughts?

tkwalker
01-14-2014, 02:20 AM
TK, I'd rather go on JPP since I am more familiar with that lake. Even though I live close to OH, I rarely fish it.

And, being retired, all the days are the same to me. Set a date and I'll see if it's compatible with my schedule. I'm pretty much open.

Thoughts?

Thanks ... JPP it is ... I'll look at the extended weather and get back with you ... <'TK>< :)

fishfindergeneral
01-14-2014, 06:12 AM
TK, we discussed the contents of my posts on this forum Sunday night and you both understood and supported my reasons for not releasing the details catches and methods. He wants Lures, depths, speed and locations? Really?!? You have given me permission to post what ever content on this forum I choose to.

“Here is the Bottom line … As a Guide and you spend anywhere from 6 to 14 hours in a boat at close quarters with a client, or in this case a Guide .. .. you learn a lot about a person . Well with Dave Clark … What you see is what you get !! He is Genuine, Honest and Very, Very knowledgeable about what He does … For this fact … Not only what I think is a life long friendship between us both but from this point on “FISHFINDERGENERAL” Dave Clark, is to be the Official Guide Endorsed by me to represent Dale Hollow Lake for www.FishingTN.com …”

That TURD,waste of life, agelessone is a bully and if his behavior and this kind bullying is condoned on this site than maybe I have to rethink the time I spend here.
agelessone, maybe I should take you up on that address and if you want to catch sauger below the dam in the winter you go at night and use football jigs with stinger hooks tipped with minnows. Time on the water "uselessone"
Why don't you stop demanding short cuts and learn to fish... Tight lines

tacklemake
01-14-2014, 06:38 AM
My friend it's time to cool down and let it end, today is another day and thank you for the pictures............woody

gboyce
01-14-2014, 06:50 AM
This is like watching my Kids fight over nothing huge. Maybe they both need a "timeout" to cool off and stop.

That being said Woody been meaning to ask what kind of boat you own. I fish OH alot towards Rockland and always see your post so if I see you sometime I will stop and say Hi. I fish a Triton white with Silver/grey sparkle stripes. I fish Crappie and Sauger but Mostly a bass fisherman and spend alot of time on the water scouting for tourney days.

tacklemake
01-14-2014, 07:07 AM
I have a bass tracker that is blue and I think I'm the only one out there in a western hat so you can't miss me and I fish the lock 3 area on OHL. Like I tell everyone I always have a open seat in my boat for anyone who wants to fish, just give me a PM...........................woody

gboyce
01-14-2014, 07:36 AM
Actually TK did end it by locking that thread and you restarted it again.

tacklemake
01-14-2014, 08:09 AM
Please stop with the language their are little ones who read this site? woody

jad2t
01-14-2014, 08:27 AM
I don't know what started this here but I'm going to jump in and stick up for Merv. He's a great guy and I can speak from experience of having fished in his boat several times. You may have had a disagreement with him but he's not a bully and definitely not 'uselessone' as you call him. Not only has he taken me fishing but many others on the forum. I got to experience the fun that can be had at GSP before it was closed off and I was still a broke college student who couldn't afford my kayak yet so I was otherwise limited to bank fishing. Also a few trips with him in the boils below OHD, another thing I can't do from the bank or from a kayak (safely). The guy even took me crappie fishing once and showed me how much fun it can be to drive around trolling cranks around all the brushpiles he knows of and at the end of the day was even generous enough to GIVE ME ALL THE CRAPPIE!

Chill out everyone, we're all one community here.

fishfindergeneral
01-14-2014, 08:39 AM
Jimmy, he attacked me on this forum, completely un provoked and has attempted to bully me from posting here. He is a coward abd a man of VERY little character and I won't stand for it.

Reel Tune
01-14-2014, 09:19 AM
Guys, I'm closing this one down. I enjoy what both of you have brought to this site. I don't really know either one of you. I see Dave's point, and I understand where Merv is coming from. This is not the place to have these discussions. Please don't make me have to lock down another thread, I don't like anyone else jumping in on a dispute between two members either.

I enjoy Dave's posts, I get to see what is out there if you work really hard, and put the time, sweat, blood, and tears in. I'm sure a few trips with Dave would open up new horizons. I understand this is how you provide for your family and don't want to see any lines crossed. I know what the internet, forums, and taking a few friends has done to some of the places I called mine. There will more than likely be a few less of my reports, less photos, and probably won't take as many people out anymore due to my loose lips.

Merv, you are always willing to help anyone out, give tips, or take someone out for the day.

You both are valued members here.