PDA

View Full Version : Circle Hooks

Hammy
01-12-2014, 08:46 PM
How many of you use circle hooks? Interested in pros and cons. I searched the threads and didnt see anything recent .

Hammy

Alphahawk
01-12-2014, 08:54 PM
Will use them when pulling shiners at Dale Hollow or Center Hill fishing for Smallies. Works quite well.

Regards

Dakota
01-12-2014, 09:05 PM
Always use them with live threadfin skipjack or even cut bait. Don't have to set the hook and always hooks in the side of the mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Jim
01-12-2014, 09:06 PM
If you are using live or dead bait I think that you should use a circle (or kahle or octopus). The hook up ratio is very good and maybe 1 out of 20 swallow it. Most times it is in the corner of the mouth or lips.

A huge plus to circle hooks is if you use light tackle, the leader will not be in the fish's mouth when you are fighting them. I catch a lot of good-sized catfish, striper, and drum on a 6lb fluorocarbon leader when using live or cut shad. If they swallow it the leader will be all scuffed up, but when hooked in the corner of the mouth the leader is perfect.

You don't need a very big hook either, Number 1 works good for threadfin on light tackle, but I do use 8/0 for skipjack on heavy tackle. So as usual, just balance your line, hook, and bait.

Jim

Hammy
01-12-2014, 09:16 PM
Thanks that info I was looking for. Anyone use them for panfish? I hate it when Bluegill swallow a hook especially if they are small and Im going to release them.

Hammy

XxthejuicexX
01-12-2014, 09:27 PM
I use the Cirlce hooks exclusively when cat fishing. They are great for beginners because you dont have to worry about setting the hook.

Alphahawk
01-12-2014, 09:31 PM
Thanks that info I was looking for. Anyone use them for panfish? I hate it when Bluegill swallow a hook especially if they are small and Im going to release them.

Hammy

I assume your talking about this happening with live bait. I catch a lot of Gills on the Trout Magnet but rarely do they swallow the hook. Here is good article about circle hooks and Gills.

Regards

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/honest-angler/2011/07/use-small-circle-hooks-easy-release-little-sunnies

Jim
01-12-2014, 09:41 PM
I assume your talking about this happening with live bait. I catch a lot of Gills on the Trout Magnet but rarely do they swallow the hook. Here is good article about circle hooks and Gills.

Regards

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/honest-angler/2011/07/use-small-circle-hooks-easy-release-little-sunnies

That is pretty neat. I have not seen those tiny circle hooks but it would be great for fishing for panfish with worms. I will have to try this.

Hammy
01-12-2014, 10:51 PM
Thanks, thats the info I was looking for. Now to try to find some hooks locally.

Hammy

creekcrappie
01-13-2014, 11:00 AM
I use the Cirlce hooks exclusively when cat fishing. They are great for beginners because you dont have to worry about setting the hook.

x2

bd-
01-13-2014, 03:46 PM
I haven't had the good results with circle hooks that others have had. I have used them with live creek minnows fishing for smallmouth, and I've used them for grouper fishing offshore in salt water.

In both cases, I was disappointed to find that I still had some gut hooked fish - certainly more than 1 in 20. Maybe the ratio was slightly lower than with J hooks but not enough for it to be significant. And I felt like when the fish were hooked in the jaw, the circle hook did more damage coming out than a J hook, at least on the smallies. This is mostly because circle hooks tend to be larger and heavier than the very small, fine-wire hooks I use when freelining minnows for smallmouth.

On top of that, it seems like you miss a few more fish with circle hooks. Not a lot, but a few. That was especially true on the grouper - maybe because their mouths are so big and tough.

Overall, I wasn't impressed enough to switch over to circle hooks. I have gone back to J hooks for live bait, and I just concentrate on a quick hookset to avoid gut hooked fish. I also use very small, fine wire hooks for smallies so that on the rare occasions that one is hooked deep, it minimizes the damage.

Alphahawk
01-13-2014, 04:44 PM
I haven't had the good results with circle hooks that others have had. I have used them with live creek minnows fishing for smallmouth, and I've used them for grouper fishing offshore in salt water.

In both cases, I was disappointed to find that I still had some gut hooked fish - certainly more than 1 in 20. Maybe the ratio was slightly lower than with J hooks but not enough for it to be significant. And I felt like when the fish were hooked in the jaw, the circle hook did more damage coming out than a J hook, at least on the smallies. This is mostly because circle hooks tend to be larger and heavier than the very small, fine-wire hooks I use when freelining minnows for smallmouth.

On top of that, it seems like you miss a few more fish with circle hooks. Not a lot, but a few. That was especially true on the grouper - maybe because their mouths are so big and tough.

Overall, I wasn't impressed enough to switch over to circle hooks. I have gone back to J hooks for live bait, and I just concentrate on a quick hookset to avoid gut hooked fish. I also use very small, fine wire hooks for smallies so that on the rare occasions that one is hooked deep, it minimizes the damage.

Numerous studies have been done stating the very thing you speak of. I tried circle hooks my last couple of years fishing in Red Sea. Did not care for them....especially fishing for grouper. I have had good success pulling shiners for Smallies with them and I don't recall gut hooking any. But that is not something I do that often either. The panfish article was an interesting read though.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

MNfisher
01-13-2014, 06:35 PM
In Florida when fishing offshore for snapper and grouper, circle hooks must be used. its a law. also a venting tool and dehooking tool must be on board the boat!

Jim
01-14-2014, 10:58 AM

Here is a summary from In-fisherman.

http://www.in-fisherman.com/2012/07/05/the-science-of-circle-hooks/

Most of the professional fisheries reports that I have read show decreased mortality and decreased damage from comparable sized circle hooks as compared to j-hooks. Here is a section of the article associated with gut-hooking:

-----
The summary of studies found that jaw hooking was far more frequent with circle hooks than other types. The incidence of gut hooking with circle hooks is low (generally less than 5 percent). Bleeding also was lower with circle hooks, a factor often related to hooking location.
-----

I use fine wire circle hooks a lot and that really helps. I agree that the big, heavy circle hooks can be very damaging and are really only useful when fishing a huge bait for very big fish.

The hook set thing is really key and it is hard to get used to. I like setting the hook when I feel a bite, therefore circle hooks are not good in any active fishing method. If your hand is on the rod and you feel the bite instantly, circle hooks are not real good. But if you live or dead bait fish and use rod holders, they work very well. Just don't jump when you see a hit. Wait and pick up the rod when you are sure they are on. Then just reel up and start fighting the fish. No jerking hook set needed. I rarely gut hook a fish even when I let it pull for 30 seconds or more before grabbing the rod.

The circle hooks work very well on catfish jugs also. On these I like to use large (but not thick) circle hooks as most small catfish (less than about 12 inches) will not get hooked at all. And the big ones are in fine condition to release. So I end up with a bunch of 2 to 5lb cats. Perfect for dinner.

Overall, I think they are a good thing for bait fishing, but not if you are actively fishing.

Jim

Reel Tune
01-14-2014, 11:20 AM
Good reading Jim.

My hookup, and survival success rates with circle hooks have been much better than trebles, or J hooks.

txnative
01-14-2014, 11:53 AM
I want to add a little to this. Another factor in gut-hooking with circle hooks is the offset of the hook point. To prevent guy-hooking, use NON-offset hooks. The point is in line with the shank of the hook, whereas an offset hook has a point that is slightly bent to either side. A quick visual example of the effect of the offset point is to drag both types sideways across your open palm: non-offset hooks tend to slide easily until they reach the edge of your palm, then they pivot and catch; an offset hook can catch anywhere on your palm if the point is turned down, towards your palm.

As for missing hook-ups, the offset point can be a culprit if the point is angled AWAY from the fish's mouth, it can actually slide out without contacting enough of the fish's jaw to begin the pivot/set action. Just some more food for thought.

Chris Bryant