PDA

View Full Version : Cold Creek Fun 1/9/14

Travis C.
01-09-2014, 10:12 PM
Took a venture out to a local creek for some fishing and found a very interesting expedition.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/MrCarney1979/IMG_0848_zpsaeb79cb1.jpg

The water didn't look bad until I got around the bend then...

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/MrCarney1979/IMG_0855_zps99f2836a.jpg

On the above picture you can see my trail I literally busted through in the kayak along the top right of the image. The ice was about an inch thick in some places taking three whacks with the paddle or one boot to break. LOL

The water sure was nice once out on it though.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/MrCarney1979/233e38d3-6ed7-4690-b89d-f79a708563c3_zps0edb3f01.jpg

Continued...

Travis C.
01-09-2014, 10:17 PM
Continued...

I didn't catch anything but it was for sure fun and interesting.

Merv, I never made it out to where we talked about. After another bend further downstream it was solid for quite a ways due to narrow banks. Maybe later on after some warmer weather I will try again.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/MrCarney1979/IMG_0860_zpseec5b323.jpg

And here's a video. Fair warning my first attempt and it's not all that great but you will definitely get an idea of what I was up against.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29GugNi8QRE

mnfisher... I can ice fish too. :D

Alphahawk
01-09-2014, 10:26 PM
Got to hand it to you....far tougher than me. I plan on being back out in the kayak 1st March if weather is decent. Just getting too old for an adventure like yours today. Good for you!

Regards

Jim
01-10-2014, 01:03 AM
Ha Ha! That is awesome. Maybe you can rig an icebreaker to the front of the kayak. Then I will have seen it all :D

SAMBOLIE
01-10-2014, 07:37 AM
Ha Ha! That is awesome. Maybe you can rig an icebreaker to the front of the kayak. Then I will have seen it all :D

Give Travis an idea and you just might see it happen. :)

txnative
01-10-2014, 07:42 AM
I think it's pretty cool to pay homage to the original kayakers (Eskimos) by getting out in conditions they would have seen when they first used a kayak. Too bad you didn't see any seals, though.

Glad you had fun, too bad the trip had a "crappy" ending, though ;)

Chris Bryant

txnative
01-10-2014, 07:46 AM
Give Travis an idea and you just might see it happen. :)

I'm gonna see what Yak Attack has or is developing. The way the kayak fishing industry is growing and with all the innovations that are hitting the market, I wouldn't be surprised if an icebreaker is in the works, lol.

Chris Bryant

SAMBOLIE
01-10-2014, 07:55 AM
I'm gonna see what Yak Attack has or is developing. The way the kayak fishing industry is growing and with all the innovations that are hitting the market, I wouldn't be surprised if an icebreaker is in the works, lol.

Chris Bryant

I do not want to hijack the thread. However, did anyone hear the news about the brave soul who broke ice from a yak and rescued 2 geese from Centennial Park Lake this week?
I immediately thought of Mike (MN).

MNfisher
01-10-2014, 12:34 PM
I do not want to hijack the thread. However, did anyone hear the news about the brave soul who broke ice from a yak and rescued 2 geese from Centennial Park Lake this week?

Ha, not me, but would have gone in a second!

Jim
01-10-2014, 01:00 PM

I missed this story also, but I always thought that geese liked to be in a lake. I didn't know I should have been rescuing all of them ;)

Travis C.
01-10-2014, 04:48 PM
Glad you had fun, too bad the trip had a "crappy" ending, though ;)

Chris Bryant

Nothing makes someones day like stepping in a pile of dog crap wearing new sneakers. :mad: Still amazes me that with hundreds of yards of grass on both sides of the parking area some lazy person let their dog crap a foot off the pavement. But then again I may be inconsiderate, it could have been wet in the grass that day and they may not have wanted to ruin their new running shoes.

Travis C.
01-10-2014, 04:52 PM
Got to hand it to you....far tougher than me.

Regards

Alpha, someday's I don't think its being tough could be mistaken for dumber...

It was too funny when while parked on the ice out in the creek a runner came by and asked if I needed help. I looked at the depth finder (also knowing the creek well) said no thanks then proceeded to step off the kayak busting through the ice with both feet up to my thighs. :D

The most frustrating part was not the ice but the fact that I didn't have time to bust through it far enough to where I knew fish were stacked up.

SAMBOLIE
01-10-2014, 05:29 PM
I missed this story also, but I always thought that geese liked to be in a lake. I didn't know I should have been rescuing all of them ;)

I think they prefer to be in the lake and not on top frozen to the ice. :)

SAMBOLIE
01-10-2014, 05:35 PM
Ha, not me, but would have gone in a second!

Found out it was actually ducks. After I thought about it I realized they wanted them alive and not mounted on the wall. That eliminated you and a few others. :):)

BTW sitting here watching on News 2 as I type. A Metro park employee named Neel scooted over the ice in a Liquidlogic yak and retrieved them.

nomad60
01-10-2014, 07:26 PM
That's some great stuff there, Travis.

And to think when I got here, my coworker told me the waters in TN "never" ice over.

creekcrappie
01-10-2014, 07:32 PM
That looks fun. What were you fishing for?

Travis C.
01-10-2014, 07:50 PM
That looks fun. What were you fishing for?

Smallies and whites.