PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Crappie

JandSCattleCo
01-09-2014, 09:47 PM
How do y'all go about catching crappie when the water temp is 40*-50*F?

Going to Priest Saturday, probably putting in at Fate. Everything I've read says tight lining minnows on brush deep in river channels. Others I've read said spider rigging in shallow 10'.

Others said start deep in channels then work backwards to creeks looking for baitfish.

I'm still new to this and never winter crappie fished yet.

Thanks all!

XxthejuicexX
01-09-2014, 10:04 PM
I was out last Saturday and caught my Crappie in 20'-23' on the creek channel sitting on brush or trees. We caught around 30 tight lining minnows over the structure. I tried the Crappie magnet and had a few hits and almost had one fish take the rod off the deck but still missed it and I did not catch a single one on the CM. I fished up in the river by the west/east for split.

Alphahawk
01-09-2014, 10:12 PM

Going to Priest Saturday, probably putting in at Fate. Everything I've read says tight lining minnows on brush deep in river channels. Others I've read said spider rigging in shallow 10'.

Others said start deep in channels then work backwards to creeks looking for baitfish.

Thanks all!

All of those are good ideas. They could be a lot of places and you will just have to find them. I know that sounds rough but once you find their location you will probably do good.

Regards

TerryD
01-09-2014, 10:13 PM
Find brush in 20-30ft of water with fish, tight line minnows or dead stick a jig. Drop jig to brush or just above and hold (let boat impart action) or try very, very, very extremely slow retrieve. Bite can be subtle so make sure you watch the line. 4 to 6 lb test with #4 hook. Good luck!
TerryD

tkwalker
01-10-2014, 12:17 AM

Thanks all!

Josh, as I have gotten older and wiser and presently fighting a cold but I have finally mastered the cold winter fishing ...

What I do is go down 7 steps into my garage ... Open my chest freezer and at 3 feet deep at a temp of -2 degrees ... I have found quart bags of fillets of Crappie , walleye, bass, catfish, sauger and Gills on the huff !! :eek: (This is what you do when the water temps are 75 degrees Plus)

If I was still young and wasn't more prone for the creature comforts I would be with you ... I guess just to many 4:30 AM guide trips has wore me down in the winter ... Do it while you can ... But it will catch up on you quicker than you think !! ... <'TK>< :)

sidthesquid
01-14-2014, 02:20 PM
Josh, as I have gotten older and wiser and presently fighting a cold but I have finally mastered the cold winter fishing ...

What I do is go down 7 steps into my garage ... Open my chest freezer and at 3 feet deep at a temp of -2 degrees ... I have found quart bags of fillets of Crappie , walleye, bass, catfish, sauger and Gills on the huff !! :eek: (This is what you do when the water temps are 75 degrees Plus)

If I was still young and wasn't more prone for the creature comforts I would be with you ... I guess just to many 4:30 AM guide trips has wore me down in the winter ... Do it while you can ... But it will catch up on you quicker than you think !! ... <'TK>< :)
use the tongue of crappie at any depth to catch crappie in all temps of water

sidthesquid
01-14-2014, 02:24 PM

i have gone crappie fishing on new years day when there is ice on the water.still using the tongue to catch these tastey fish in Maryland waters

Pookie
01-14-2014, 05:12 PM

Very Slowly.

olddognewtrick
01-14-2014, 07:44 PM
I like to fish around the support poles of big marinas, or at least marinas with the proper summer/spring/fall holding areas nearby, and it doesn't hurt to have a houseboat parked in the slip. The support poles with electrical conduits and/or other conduits or pipes usually hold crappie. I will drop a jig to the bottom and s l o w l y raise it up until i feel a hit. Once I am confident of their depth, I drop down and raise up to that depth, then 'swim' the jig slowly in circles. You can, of course, fix the depth using a stick bobber whatever, but I prefer the feel of the rod in one hand and the line in the other.

JandSCattleCo
01-14-2014, 08:43 PM
So your saying catch a crappie, cut out its tongue and use it on a minnow hook?

I know s l o w l y. That's my problem!!!! Slowlys not in my vocabulary!