PDA

View Full Version : Action Camera

Hammy
01-07-2014, 08:43 AM
For those that cant or dont want to spend $300 + check this out. Even comes with remote.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vivitar-DVR787BLUKITWM/29531777

Hammy

tacklemake
01-07-2014, 09:12 AM
That's alright I will stay with the Go Pro.................woody

goreds.king
01-07-2014, 10:12 AM
Interesting. I'm in the market an inexpensive camera. A GoPro is a little out of my price range right now. Does anyone have any reviews?

jad2t
01-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Reviews are so-so on this one. Remember when it comes to electronics plenty of the bad reviews are mostly due to operator error. I'm sure this is nowhere near the quality of a GoPro camera but may not be a bad idea for someone who wants to record fishing videos but isn't ready to spring for 400 bucks for a top notch camera. I've been looking into buying an older model, used GoPro to see if I actually like recording videos before I buy the latest and greatest. This may be an option to start out.

Jdkxtreme
01-07-2014, 10:23 AM
Reviews are so-so on this one. Remember when it comes to electronics plenty of the bad reviews are mostly due to operator error. I'm sure this is nowhere near the quality of a GoPro camera but may not be a bad idea for someone who wants to record fishing videos but isn't ready to spring for 400 bucks for a top notch camera. I've been looking into buying an older model, used GoPro to see if I actually like recording videos before I buy the latest and greatest. This may be an option to start out.

I bought a used Go Pro from another member. I have only used it once so far. But I like it.

Hammy
01-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Im a sucker. I ordered one. The mounts are probably worth the costs.

I also have a dash cam recorder that I bought for $40. It takes great video. An 8 gig card last 8 hours, runs on 12v. Thinking about hooking it up to one of the 12v 8ah batteries. It takes 2 minute videos, restarts after 3 seconds. All videos are time stamped on the card so makes to easy to find a certain clip.
I bought a GOpro 3 that Im going to take back. Have never opened it.

Hammy

GO-OKFISHIN
01-07-2014, 10:43 AM
Love my Go Pro. Check Craigslist for used ones.

Another cheap alternative is Kodak Playsport. You can find them in Pawn Shops for less than $50. They have been discontinued so there is no warranty but they are a great waterproof camera.

JandSCattleCo
01-07-2014, 08:13 PM
I have a playsport.

Great camera. $50 off Craigslist.

TNBronzeback
01-07-2014, 09:08 PM
I have 1 of the Flip HD camcorders. It works really good. I dont think i can get any water proof housings for it but lots of manufacurers make the pocket size camcorders. It has the hole for mounting to a tripod too. I also have a sony pocket camcorder too i got for $20 and that takes good video too. The zoom stinks on it, it gets all grainy but most of the time for fishing ya wont need to zoom in anyways. Unless the fish "requires" it! ha!
i actually need to start taking video again when fishing, always fun to look back on pics and video!

Heiny57
01-08-2014, 02:08 PM
Can you photo shop fish into Video when I don't catch anything

Hammy
01-09-2014, 08:07 AM
Eye glass cam.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/thermor-ltd/23662140

Hammy

Transplanted Sportsman
01-09-2014, 04:26 PM
hey Hammy, I resolved to not buy an action camera for fishing because I fear it will become an "inaction" camera Lol!! it will be very dusty!!!:D

Hammy
01-09-2014, 06:30 PM
Ts, wrong thinking, need to think positive.

Hammy

Transplanted Sportsman
01-09-2014, 07:14 PM
Ts, wrong thinking, need to think positive.

Hammy

I reckon!!, pm sent!!

Hammy
01-16-2014, 08:13 AM
Here is a video of the camera I posted in 1st post of this thread. I had the camera mounted on a tri pod on the dash board of my van. Very good quality for $49.99 with about 10 different mounts.

http://youtu.be/GFUky115OB4

Hammy

Dakota
01-16-2014, 08:16 AM
Nice I may check that one out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

blink
01-16-2014, 09:08 AM
I have the Playsport. Its a great camera. The only thing i dont like about it is the internal battery. You only get about 2 hours of filming on a charge.

Hammy
01-16-2014, 09:22 AM
I have not played with this enough to see how long it last. I know my other dash cam will record continually for 8 hours on an 8 gig card. It stopped when the card filled up. It also cost $45

Hammy

Heiny57
01-16-2014, 12:16 PM
That is cool Hammy, I wonder how it would work on a rocking boat

Alphahawk
01-16-2014, 01:14 PM
I have the Playsport. Its a great camera. The only thing i dont like about it is the internal battery. You only get about 2 hours of filming on a charge.

I have the Playsport also that I got for 50 bucks, a year or so back. Short battery life but does do great videos. I have no mounts or straps for it but the biggest reason it has hardly ever been used is I just did not want to spend the time editing video....but I'm sure the more you do it the easier it gets. I do love watching a good edited fishing video that gets to the action. Some folks post 10 minute videos on youtube with no editing and it doesn't take me long to quit watching and find another one.

Regards

Alphahawk
01-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Here is a video of the camera I posted in 1st post of this thread. I had the camera mounted on a tri pod on the dash board of my van. Very good quality for $49.99 with about 10 different mounts.

Hammy

Got to admit great video quality at such a low price. Hope it works out for you....and remote also.

Regards

Hammy
01-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Heiney, I dont know but, it comes with about 10 different mounts. From surfboards to handlebar etc. I will find out.

Hammy

SAMBOLIE
01-16-2014, 01:28 PM
Hypothetically speaking only. Does it have a mount that could be used on the headboard or foot board of a bed?

TNBronzeback
01-16-2014, 01:42 PM
hypothetically speaking only. Does it have a mount that could be used on the headboard or foot board of a bed?

lmao!!!!!

blink
01-16-2014, 01:54 PM
some vids i shot with the playsport and edited in iMovie.

http://youtu.be/wi171Vk25fs
http://youtu.be/drgBwUBT_2g
http://youtu.be/7aWmMmKI6KI
http://youtu.be/dh_Rg2ES9wY

Heiny57
01-16-2014, 02:02 PM
Hypothetically speaking only. Does it have a mount that could be used on the headboard or foot board of a bed?

Lol

agelesssone
01-16-2014, 02:34 PM
Please SAMBOLIE! NOBODY wants to see a video of you snoring, getting up twice a night to change your wet sheets and crying yourself back to sleep!

XxthejuicexX
01-16-2014, 02:50 PM
^ this wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

txnative
01-16-2014, 02:59 PM
Please SAMBOLIE! NOBODY wants to see a video of you snoring, getting up twice a night to change your wet sheets and crying yourself back to sleep!

Merv scores on the Zinger Scoreboard !!!

Chris Bryant

goreds.king
01-16-2014, 04:04 PM
I’m really thinking about getting one of these. I like the simplicity of it and it’s only $50. If I end up using it a lot then down the road I would upgrade.

I read the owner’s manual and one thing I don’t like is you can’t change it from recording mode to picture mode with the waterproof housing on. I’m assuming (and it’s a question I’m asking Hammy) if you wanted a still shot from a fishing trip you could capture it from the video using the software supplied…am I correct. Is the GoPro setup the same way?

I’m also curious about the battery life.

SAMBOLIE
01-16-2014, 04:27 PM

:p:p

Alphahawk
01-16-2014, 04:28 PM
I’m really thinking about getting one of these. I like the simplicity of it and it’s only $50. If I end up using it a lot then down the road I would upgrade.

I read the owner’s manual and one thing I don’t like is you can’t change it from recording mode to picture mode with the waterproof housing on. I’m assuming (and it’s a question I’m asking Hammy) if you wanted a still shot from a fishing trip you could capture it from the video using the software supplied…am I correct. Is the GoPro setup the same way?

I’m also curious about the battery life.

I know if you have a Mac and use iMovie you can do that....don't know about other software.

Regards

Hammy
01-16-2014, 09:43 PM
Goreds, the remote control has a video and a picture button it. I have not tried it in the wp housing. I'll let you know.

Hammy

Transplanted Sportsman
01-17-2014, 07:42 PM

Hammy

cool little camera there Hammy, i recognized right away the Tullahoma Walmart and Lowes Lol!! and to top it all off, you were listening to my favorite radio station for talk radio, I tell you what, you want to find the truth of all what is going on out there listen to Ralph Bristol, Michael Del Giorno and ol' uncle Phill Valentine!!!
I'm thinking about getting me one of these cameras, great value for the money!!

Hammy
01-17-2014, 09:11 PM
TS, as close as you are you should recognize those places.

I have showed photos/videos to 4 buddies and they have all ordered one of these cameras.

My only unanswered question is how long this battery will last in record mode.

Hammy

Fish Whisperer
01-17-2014, 10:05 PM
I have a gopro 2 and think that the video quality on your camera may be as good if not better.. How is the editing software on that camera?

I recognized Tullahoma too.. Dunham sports is one of my favorite stops out there.

Hammy
01-17-2014, 10:46 PM
Fw, what is the mega pixel of your Gopro? This one is 12.1

I have not looked at the editing software that came with it. I will have just used what ever is on my laptop. I will install the supplied software from Vivitar and report back.

Hammy

Hammy
01-17-2014, 11:19 PM
Well i installed the editing software from VIVITAR.

My opinion........... it's the worst I've ever used.

I use a free program called Photoscape ( I think it was free or least real cheap )

Hammy

goreds.king
01-18-2014, 12:11 AM
Thats not what I wanted to hear. Keep us posted in the battery life.

Hammy
01-18-2014, 06:51 AM
There are plenty of free editing software available from reliable sources. Photoscape is free at ( www.photoscape.com (http://www.photoscape.com) ). Also windows comes with video editing software.

I will set the camera up today and let it run to check battery life.

Hammy

Fish Whisperer
01-18-2014, 12:32 PM
The gopro2 is 11 mega pixels.. http://youtu.be/r1HX-q7UzC8

Hammy
01-19-2014, 08:07 PM
It looks like battery life for the Vivitar DRV787 is a little better than 2 hours on video mode.

Hammy

goreds.king
01-20-2014, 11:12 AM
Is that battery life pretty consistant with other cameras?

Hammy
01-20-2014, 06:17 PM
Is that battery life pretty consistant with other cameras?

I have nothing to compare it to. Maybe someone will chime in.

Hammy

Fish Whisperer
01-21-2014, 10:46 PM
The Gopro battery is good for about 2 hours. It's not bad if you have the wifi remote and only use it when needed. I'm going to try to alter the housing so I can keep it plugged in when I go deep sea fishing again in June.

goreds.king
01-22-2014, 11:03 AM
Hammy...Sorry to keep bothering you with questions, but I’ve been given clearance to purchase one. Before I do I had a few questions.

What are your thoughts on the photo quality?

Can you mount the camera on a tripod when it is in the waterproof housing?

You mentioned it had a picture and record button on the remote. If the camera is in the waterproof housing and I have it in record mode, if you hit the photo button will it stop the recording to take a picture?

Hammy
01-22-2014, 07:26 PM
You not borthing me at all. Happy to share something I know something about. Since I ask a lot of lame questions here on fishing.

Hammy...Sorry to keep bothering you with questions, but I’ve been given clearance to purchase one. Before I do I had a few questions.

You mentioned it had a picture and record button on the remote. If the camera is in the waterproof housing and I have it in record mode, if you hit the photo button will it stop the recording to take a picture?

What are your thoughts on the photo quality?

Can you mount the camera on a tripod when it is in the waterproof housing?

Picture quality is EXCELLENT !

Yes, you can mount on tri pod w/ water proof housing.

The remote has 3 buttons: on/off Video , and Photo

I have not tried it in the case, I will try it and post back.

Hammy

Heiny57
01-26-2014, 06:50 PM
Just ordered one, we will see. Any updates on it?

Hammy
01-26-2014, 08:20 PM
Several of my friends have ordered them and have been pleased with them. I've taken quite a few photos with mine and been happy with them.

Let me know after you play with it.

Hammy